SVB is Now In the Hands of the FDIC

MG0h3

Established Member
"Its not systemic"

Deposits:

CR-These6-Deposit-balances-have-been-declining-driven-by-the-Feds-QT2303140437.png

Assets:
CR-These8-Banks-hold-a-lot-of-agency-MBS2303140437.png

CR-These8-Many-of-these-bonds-are-under-water-due-to-higher-rates-and-extended-durations2303140437.png

Lmao. You have to be shitting me.

When interest rates tanked and home prices skyrocketed, I started selling all of my real estate.

One late 19’, one mid 20’, one late 21’.

As an inexperienced 23 yr old, I bought two homes in SoCal in 04’ and 05’. Boy was that a lesson! Those were the two I sold in 19’ and 20’ and came out pretty nice.

So I learned a lesson, and the bankers did not. Typical.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I know you don’t like him and I respect you.
But no one can argue that he was right about EVERYTHING that matters.

Sorry I think you missed it. I am clowning @JAJ because Trump did not actually do anything.

He did not bother to grasp the article that Trumps action was merely symbolic. He signed an order to "investigate" changing a rule which means bubkis.

Leftist Canadians posting articles from British leftist rags do not seem to understand that Congress not the president make rules in the US.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Does this fall in the go woke and go broke category?
Maybe more go woke, get bailed out category. Well except for the morons that were investing in and actually running the bank. Even Dems knew that shit wouldn't fly this time.

JaCobro

Luke 10:19
Established Member
Premium Member
No. They had a hole in their balance sheet as does every other bank right now.
Honestly, most of this is way over my head. I tried to read/skim this whole thread, and you might of explained it already. But did that hole come from loaning to woke tech companies?

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Honestly, most of this is way over my head. I tried to read/skim this whole thread, and you might of explained it already. But did that hole come from loaning to woke tech companies?
Not really. They just took in short term deposits and invested them in long term securities - unfortunately the securities' value went to shit because interest rates were raised. So you basically have a security that pays 2% for the long term when interest rates are 5+% so the security isn't worth much at present time. Blah blah blah.

Hey Klaus - any idea what the actual value of the assets are at present day vs. the deposits? Don't think I ever saw that anywhere.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Not really. They just took in short term deposits and invested them in long term securities - unfortunately the securities' value went to shit because interest rates were raised. So you basically have a security that pays 2% for the long term when interest rates are 5+% so the security isn't worth much at present time. Blah blah blah.

Hey Klaus - any idea what the actual value of the assets are at present day vs. the deposits? Don't think I ever saw that anywhere.

Significantly negative although I do not know by how much. SVB was insolvent in November and it has only gotten worse.

Equity is wiped out and bonds are trading at 30 cents.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Significantly negative although I do not know by how much. SVB was insolvent in November and it has only gotten worse.

Yeah. Screw the equity and bonds. I was just wondering if nothing was done and they liquidated everything for the depositors, how much of a haircut would the depositors have to take. IMO they should be the last ones, but should take some type of haircut due to their lack of due diligence on where they keep their money.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

They must have been wildly insolvent where no financer would touch them. Id imagine it's been a full-court press for the last year to find PE or some mega donor who would fund long term until bonds (and everything else) recovers.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
They must have been wildly insolvent where no financer would touch them. Id imagine it's been a full-court press for the last year to find PE or some mega donor who would fund long term until bonds (and everything else) recovers.
Apparently there were buyers for the bank but gov had a white list of appropriate buyers?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Apparently there were buyers for the bank but gov had a white list of appropriate buyers?

Well shit.

Different thread topic, but the Gov taking over everything is NOT GOING TO BE GOOD. Common sense to this board I know, but shit.

We are screwed.... say goodbye to your cash and hello to digital. Sooner than you think

MG0h3

Established Member

So you can trade bonds like an equity?

Let’s say you buy a 30yr. You can sell anytime before the maturity date?

Maturity date=guaranteed time period of initial interest rate?

I don’t know shit about bonds.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member

Yes bonds trade just like stocks. In fact the agency mortgage bond market is the largest market in the world. The stock market is a pimple on the ass of bond markets.

if you are interested

sleek98

Established Member

Correct. Depending on the stated interest rate vs the current going rate bonds sell at a premium or a discount to even out the rate difference in a perfect world.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
Sorry I think you missed it. I am clowning @JAJ because Trump did not actually do anything.

He did not bother to grasp the article that Trumps action was merely symbolic. He signed an order to "investigate" changing a rule which means bubkis.

Leftist Canadians posting articles from British leftist rags do not seem to understand that Congress not the president make rules in the US.
I just hope some day you visit Naples and we can grab some drinks and a meal. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread