SVB is Now In the Hands of the FDIC

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Trust me, Ive been monitoring progress over the last few days. The previous week or two wiped out a decent chunk of BTC value for me, but its been nice seeing it claw back.
The more i see market highs and lows at the hands of incompetence the more I trust various coins selections.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Was some talk on consrv. sites that ESG had some to do with it. Any thoughts on that?

Meh. I fade ideological commentary. Conservatives will always find fault in the interests of their political opponents. Liberals will always find fault in the interests of their political opponents.

Beware those that view everything through their politics.

Banks have an issue because they have a mismatch in assets and liabilities. This ultimately traces back to COVID stimulus and the side effect thereof.

It does turn out that SVB was HUGE in permanent finance of solar projects. We finance these and were surprised to learn that how significant they were in this market. But it had nothing to do with them going bust.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Is there any reason FDIC does not have a higher insurance limit for some type of commercial account that all these supposed poor small businesses could utilize? And like maybe they could pay higher fees to cover the premiums of said insurance? I am not a finance guy. I am sure there is some rationale with a bunch of big important sounding words that would rebut my question.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Is there any reason FDIC does not have a higher insurance limit for some type of commercial account that all these supposed poor small businesses could utilize? And like maybe they could pay higher fees to cover the premiums of said insurance? I am not a finance guy. I am sure there is some rationale with a bunch of big important sounding words that would rebut my question.
It is like s giant pyramid scheme. Protect the big banks and lenders so the lightweight guys have a place to borrow from, even if they are going under. Hence no need to help the little guy.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Are the people in line at the banks the new toilet paper people? I am supposed to believe that even one of these people has over $250K in the bank. LMFAO

q6543

Established Member
Apparently FDIC holds 1.25% of its obligations.
I.e. FDIC is fractional reserve too.

125 BILLION against 10 TRILLION on the other side of the ledger.

Last edited:

mariusvt

Established Member
Are the people in line at the banks the new toilet paper people? I am supposed to believe that even one of these people has over $250K in the bank. LMFAO
They are people that have no idea how anything works.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member

Good luck withdrawing $250k cash (or other large amounts) from any bank without giving some serious notice. I went to Bank of America a few years ago to withdrawal 17k and they had a fit. It took over an hour and they stuck me in some special finance office, trying to talk me out of withdrawing my cash. They asked if I could use a cashier check or money order instead. They flat out did not want to give me that much cash at once.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Meh. I fade ideological commentary. Conservatives will always find fault in the interests of their political opponents. Liberals will always find fault in the interests of their political opponents.

Beware those that view everything through their politics.

Banks have an issue because they have a mismatch in assets and liabilities. This ultimately traces back to COVID stimulus and the side effect thereof.

It does turn out that SVB was HUGE in permanent finance of solar projects. We finance these and were surprised to learn that how significant they were in this market. But it had nothing to do with them going bust.
Yes, it does not appear that this was a direct causation as I don't believe the problem is "woke" loans but rather poor investing/hedging of long term deposits. That being said, I do think when businesses fail to focus on their core reason to exist (preservation and growth of capital) these, f-ups seem to occur. My wife's med device company has been going through the same thing.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Uh-Ho

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Good luck withdrawing $250k (cash) from any bank without giving some serious notice. I went to Bank of America a few years ago to withdrawal 17k and they had a fit. It took over an hour and they stuck me in some special finance office, trying to talk me out of withdrawing my cash. They asked if I could use a cashier check or money order instead. They flat out did not want to give me that much cash at once.

Really? That's weird. They should easily have that on hand at any given time. I haven't run into issues up to $80k cash.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Wonder what the current odds are on the FED "soft landing"... lol

Users who are viewing this thread