Suggestions for which turbo kit (03 cobra)

TRBO VNM

NitrousKing said:
What the hell does that mean? :shrug:

that he is very happy with his decision and you will be to. not sure if you are taking offense to that, but it sounds like it. He is just offering to help, that is what I gather.

jackers

Solid Axle Equipt
Established Member
Haha, nah, we were just having some beers down here in NC and meant to say you "WONT" regret it!!!

Big dummy just missed a word, thats all. Trust me, he loves his turbo setup and you will too. Congrats on taking the plunge!!!

TRBO VNM

jackers said:
Haha, nah, we were just having some beers down here in NC and meant to say you "WONT" regret it!!!

Big dummy just missed a word, thats all. Trust me, he loves his turbo setup and you will too. Congrats on taking the plunge!!!

hahaha, I didn't even catch that. I just read it with the "won't" in there...freaking mind games.

have a beer for me Jack. :rockon:

blk04cobra1

1000rwhp coming soon
Established Member
Good choice on the HP...im not running any filters on mine, but they will fit...you WON'T regret your decision, but i would give the '01 a shot before the Sullivan, numerous tests have shown that the Sullivan only gives a max of 10rwhp over the '01 and for the cost, its not worth it IMO...good luck

TRBO VNM

blk04cobra1 said:
Good choice on the HP...im not running any filters on mine, but they will fit...you WON'T regret your decision, but i would give the '01 a shot before the Sullivan, numerous tests have shown that the Sullivan only gives a max of 10rwhp over the '01 and for the cost, its not worth it IMO...good luck

+1 on intake. not sure if I agree with the decision, but I am biased like everyone else. :-D

smashedheadcat

Established Member
Sorry about that guys, we were out on the porch drinking, and I just snuck onto the net real quick. Just missed a word, that's all. LOL You will NOT regret your decision!!

smashedheadcat

Established Member
TRBO VNM said:
not sure if I agree with the decision, but I am biased like everyone else. :-D

I'm not going to say I'm biased, but I feel the HP system is a great kit. I'll be honest though, I feel that the Hellion and the PTK kits are the least impressive when it comes to ultimate power potential. The PTK kit screws the pooch because of the intake system..... And the hellion kit isn't putting down as much power per pound of boost as the twin folks are. I'd put my stock block, HP twin 50's up against the PTK or hellion, pound for pound, anyday of the week. I can make just as much power, if not more, and I doubt there is a kit available now that can spool faster than HP's twin 50's. With a price tag of less than $8000 to your door, ready to run, it's a very good option for the turbo terminator community.

03 TWIN

03 DSG Cobra
Established Member
Thanks guys, I just didn't want the same intake that is used with most kits out there. As far as price vs. hp gain, I will let everyone in on what I discovered. You can upgrade to the sullivan intake through HP for 400 bucks with the correct piping included. I didn't think that was too bad and I really like the look.

TRBO VNM

smashedheadcat said:
I'm not going to say I'm biased, but I feel the HP system is a great kit. I'll be honest though, I feel that the Hellion and the PTK kits are the least impressive when it comes to ultimate power potential. The PTK kit screws the pooch because of the intake system..... And the hellion kit isn't putting down as much power per pound of boost as the twin folks are. I'd put my stock block, HP twin 50's up against the PTK or hellion, pound for pound, anyday of the week. I can make just as much power, if not more, and I doubt there is a kit available now that can spool faster than HP's twin 50's. With a price tag of less than $8000 to your door, ready to run, it's a very good option for the turbo terminator community.

so for 8k you don't have to do any other upgrades to the fuel system or anything with the HP? it is a complete turn key kit that requires nothing else than in the kit and go run the numbers at the track? I highly doubt it. I haven't see any kit out there that is.

also, I could care less about the HP number. I am not here to dyno race and I find it pretty funny how so many people are after the most power. Take it to the track and lets see what you can do with the power and at what # of boost your track times are with.

you won't bolt on a kit and go run a great number. it takes more to perform at the track and myself, Mike Palugi, Mark(Buster) are proof of that.

sure I can turn up the wick and run a better ET, but whats the point? to say I ran a low 10 or high 9 at 25+ # of boost? That should be expected. I am after something more impressive and making those ET's on less boost and full weight car. I have already run a 9 sec MPH at 21.5# of boost. I want to see the same MPH and a better ET at the same boost or less. that is more impressive to me and the rest of the community than just turning up the boost to make a number or gutting the car to make it lighter. and do it with my 18x9 chrome front wheels, cage, full stereo, replica wheels in the back and a car that probably weighs more than it did on the showroom floor.

so really who cares if someone makes more power. there will always be someone making more or faster, it is how you utilize that power and put it to the ground and get the track results that matter.

Yes I know Mike Palugi has a HP kit and is running 9's. He has also spent a more money than just the kit cost to make that happen. just as I have. I am still trying to fine tune the 2-step and timing retard to get the 60' down. We all know turbo's shine in the second part of the track. I want to shine the whole 1/4 mile.

I haven't seen but Mike's car, my car, Buster and a couple others really try utilizing the power. anyone can bolt a kit on and go to the dyno and make a number..big deal. the only reason I have even gone to the dyno is to test some things out and get some numbers for others. driving the car making a ET and MPH is more proof. I have seen KB cars not even making 600 to the wheels run 10.20's.

anyway, HP means nothing if you can't drive it to make the number and put the power to use. that is why I find it funny that people get into pissing matches about who makes more power...big deal.

Last edited:

smashedheadcat

Established Member
TRBO VNM said:
so for 8k you don't have to do any other upgrades to the fuel system or anything with the HP? it is a complete turn key kit that requires nothing else than in the kit and go run the numbers at the track? I highly doubt it. I haven't see any kit out there that is.

Well, lets see, $7684 to my door, includes a chip, 60lb injectors with harnesses, intake, all nuts, bolts clamps and a KB BAP. Plus more, but you get the idea. The car will fire up and run, and with the 8psi spring in the wastegates, and a little tuning, (10.0-10.5 a/f and 18 degrees timing) it put down 494/494. There is nothing else you NEED to buy to get this kit working. I did have to buy an oil restrictor though ($25) but I hear it's now included. So if you have never seen a kit that you can order, install the pieces that come with the kit, and fire it up, make 500rwhp, and be able to use it at the track, now you have. I know what you're saying though, you want 10's out of it. Besides clutch upgrades, IRS or solid axle swaps etc etc, the vehicle will run very well. A boost controller will be needed for higher boost obviously, but a very nice manual controller can be had for around $100. So as far as making the power is concerned, you have pretty much everything you need for less than $8K.

TRBO VNM said:
also, I could care less about the HP number. I am not here to dyno race and I find it pretty funny how so many people are after the most power. Take it to the track and lets see what you can do with the power and at what # of boost your track times are with.

Comparing power on dynos is a good thing. It's a great place to tune and see if the changes you are making are actually helping or hurting. There are too many variables at the track to use the track test as apposed to the dyno. If you make a change to the tune, and the car goes .04mph faster, is that because the density altitude changed a tad in your favor? or is it because you shifted from 3rd to 4th a little quicker? or is it because you picked up 10rwhp from 4000rpm-4500rpm? Or did you pick up 15rwhp from 6000-6500, but lost 5 rwhp below 4000rpms, or the tires spun a touch more leaving off the 2 step than they did the run before? etc etc... You won't know these things unless you were a dead consitant driver and had datalogged and analyzed each and every run with each timeslip to find out what your tuning changes are doing to help, and/or hurt performance.

TRBO VNM said:
you won't bolt on a kit and go run a great number. it takes more to perform at the track and myself, Mike Palugi, Mark(Buster) are proof of that.

I think your car runs well, and ran well before the 2-step. You are the one who was unhappy with it's performance. With more practice, you could have found the happy medium where the car would take off considerably better than what you were.

TRBO VNM said:
sure I can turn up the wick and run a better ET, but whats the point? to say I ran a low 10 or high 9 at 25+ # of boost? That should be expected. I am after something more impressive and making those ET's on less boost and full weight car. I have already run a 9 sec MPH at 21.5# of boost. I want to see the same MPH and a better ET at the same boost or less. that is more impressive to me and the rest of the community than just turning up the boost to make a number or gutting the car to make it lighter. and do it with my 18x9 chrome front wheels, cage, full stereo, replica wheels in the back and a car that probably weighs more than it did on the showroom floor.

I'm not saying your car is not impressive. From what I see, pretty much all the turbo guys are full weight cars. You are looking to run a good number in street trim, that's cool. That's how I'm going to play with my car too. Stockers in the front, replicas in the back. Nothing fancy, just go out and see how it does. I'll adjust my driving style and techniques and find out what the car likes best. There's nothing wrong with using a set of fatty's and skinnies at the track. Shoot, I switch my tires out at the track too, I just go from a nitto drag radial to a hoosier...... We'd probably all be better off running a slick or ET street on the rear.

TRBO VNM said:
so really who cares if someone makes more power. there will always be someone making more or faster, it is how you utilize that power and put it to the ground and get the track results that matter.

Well, I think anyone who's going to drop almost $8000 to increase performance is definately going to care what makes the most power. Case in point..... lets say that a Kenne bell car makes 600rwhp at 17psi, and the cost is, eh, $3000. Now, lets say the Steg stage IV ported eaton makes 530rwhp at 17psi, and also costs $3000 to do.... which one would everyone buy? Maybe the guy in with the steg IV eaton has drag wheels, k-member, and can drive like a banshee and runs similar times as the kenne bell car does..... I still don't think the Steg eaton would be the correct choice. Of course, we know that the ported eaton is much cheaper than a kenne bell is, and that's why it's a very appealing piece for la lot of people on this board and others.

TRBO VNM said:
Yes I know Mike Palugi has a HP kit and is running 9's. He has also spent a more money than just the kit cost to make that happen. just as I have. I am still trying to fine tune the 2-step and timing retard to get the 60' down. We all know turbo's shine in the second part of the track. I want to shine the whole 1/4 mile.

To go 9's or even 10's, it's going to take money and practice. Nobody is arguing that. And I'm sure you'll get your car dialed in and run the numbers you want it to. But, I just see it being harder on your engine to do it the hellion way as opposed to doing it the twin turbo way (faster spooling in some cases and more power with less boost).

TRBO VNM said:
I have seen KB cars not even making 600 to the wheels run 10.20's.

And I'm sure they would go faster with 50 more rwhp.

TRBO VNM said:
anyway, HP means nothing if you can't drive it to make the number and put the power to use. that is why I find it funny that people get into pissing matches about who makes more power...big deal.

HP means everything when you are in an acceleration contest. If you have the power, you make adjustments to put the power the pavement. All cars being equal, (traction, weight, driver etc.) the car with the most power across the curve is going to win the acceleration contest. The car that has less power has to improve in other areas to get a better ET than the more powerful car. Common sense I know, but we are talking about turbo kits, not what accessories one guy has with is car, and what is on another car. Lets say you have a hellion kit with 15psi with the 2-step, with hoosiers. Now, take an HP kit with 20psi, with the 2-step, but on good year eagle f1's.... Of course, the hellion is going to win the race because it has a major traction advantage, not because the turbo kit is better. That's all I'm getting at. I'm not trying to bash the Hellion kit. All I am saying is, if you are after the most power per pound of boost, Hellion is not the turbo for you. Hellion offers a great kit that fits, probably relatively easy to install, competetively priced, stainless steel piping, and almost immediate delivery. Something that has always been unheard of in the mustang turbo market. Now, if you added the most powerful kit per pound of boost with the fastest spooling characteristics of any other '03 cobra kit to that list, then everyone else would go out of business. And I don't see that happening right now.

TRBO VNM

again, as I stated there is no kit out there that is a complete package you can buy and go to the track and make the best number with it. As you said you need a boost controller and with a manual tranny to get the most out of it you need a good 2-step, which requires the MSD stuff. The diablo or SCT 2-step may work to a point, but it won't work the way you need it to in order to get the most out of the kit.

like I asked
it is a complete turn key kit that requires nothing else than in the kit and go run the numbers at the track?
the answer is NO. Just like every other kit.

I think you misunderstood a lot of what I was trying to get across. But everyone has an opinion and is entitled to it. you might consider something an acceleration race, but it isn't. Just ask Mike Palugi what happened at WFC. Ask Ken Tingle, he took out the number 1 and I think 2 qualifier with less power. Yes I understand it is a bracket race, different power adders, drivers, etc. all that matters is who the winner is and power doesn't mean you win. A lot of people start getting caught up in this, I gotta have the most power. thats fine, but having it and using it are 2 different things.

bottom line ou aren't going to be able to bolt the kit on and go run the best numbers you can with the kit. there is more you need to buy to make it happen and happen efficiently.

it is like me saying the hellion is better because you can use MM suspension. I do know hellion so far has no problems that have been reported with the kit install or function of it. Every other kit out there has had problems, let alone delivery delays.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Just to interject....not all racing takes place on a drag strip, and not everyone is interested in what their track times are. I wanted enough power to be able to crush almost anyone in a roll-on race, which is essentially a race of who has the most HP. I also set it up to go fast frum dig too, but I wanted the MOST power possible for my money. I chose my kit accordingly.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

badcobra said:
Just to interject....not all racing takes place on a drag strip, and not everyone is interested in what their track times are. I wanted enough power to be able to crush almost anyone in a roll-on race, which is essentially a race of who has the most HP. I also set it up to go fast frum dig too, but I wanted the MOST power possible for my money. I chose my kit accordingly.

totally agree. some people run autox or road race as well. some people just street race or set there car up for it. I prefer the legal kind.

but now know if I am cruising and someone comes up, brake boosting is awesome. :beer:

smashedheadcat

Established Member
TRBO VNM said:
again, as I stated there is no kit out there that is a complete package you can buy and go to the track and make the best number with it. As you said you need a boost controller and with a manual tranny to get the most out of it you need a good 2-step, which requires the MSD stuff. The diablo or SCT 2-step may work to a point, but it won't work the way you need it to in order to get the most out of the kit.

like I asked the answer is NO. Just like every other kit.
TRBO VNM said:
It depends on what numbers you are looking to run. I know I can run 10's on 11psi with no 2-step with my car the way it sits. Am I going to do it on my first attempt?? Probably not, but the msd 2-step isn't in the cards for me. Heck, I don't think Buster is running the msd stuff is he?? Just trial and error with the tools that are provided will go a long way. As for a boost controller being required...... yes, one is required. But even then, you can spend almost $400 on a good electronic boost controller (or $100 on a good manual) and still be under the $8000 mark. Am I saying you are just going to bolt on the basic kit with the 8psi springs in the wastegates on an otherwise stock car and go 9's?? No. It won't happen.

TRBO VNM said:
I think you misunderstood a lot of what I was trying to get across. But everyone has an opinion and is entitled to it. you might consider something an acceleration race, but it isn't. Just ask Mike Palugi what happened at WFC. Ask Ken Tingle, he took out the number 1 and I think 2 qualifier with less power. Yes I understand it is a bracket race, different power adders, drivers, etc. all that matters is who the winner is and power doesn't mean you win. A lot of people start getting caught up in this, I gotta have the most power. thats fine, but having it and using it are 2 different things.

I think you misunderstood the point I was trying to get across when I said "all things being equal, the car with the most power across the curve will win an acceleration race." Obviously with 2 different cars, with different power adders, different drivers, different gearing, different weights, different tires etc. all things were not equal. Maybe a better example would be this: Take your car down the track with 8psi. Then, make a pass with 15psi. If you hooked on both races, basically ran just as perfect as possible on both passes, which run would be faster?? The 2nd pass would be quicker. And I didn't think anyone would get confused on what an acceleration contest is...... but crazier things have happened. I'm sure everyone will agree that an acceleration contest would be an vehicle trying to out accelerate an opponent. The one that accelerates faster wins. :shrug:

TRBO VNM said:
bottom line ou aren't going to be able to bolt the kit on and go run the best numbers you can with the kit. there is more you need to buy to make it happen and happen efficiently.

Maybe in a drag race, but how about racing from a roll?? Add a $100 boost controller and viola! You've got yourself a very fast car.

TRBO VNM said:
it is like me saying the hellion is better because you can use MM suspension. I do know hellion so far has no problems that have been reported with the kit install or function of it. Every other kit out there has had problems, let alone delivery delays.

That is a plus to the hellion kit. I'm not arguing that. It's only downfall is that it does NOT make as much power per pound of boost as other kits out there, and it doesn't appear to spool as quickly either.

TRBO VNM

ok, last statement, sorry for the hijack...

I understood what you were trying to get across, but in reality, "all things" will never be equal. so the point doesn't really matter.

03 TWIN

03 DSG Cobra
Established Member
This thread is pretty much done anyways :beer: I have my mind made up and will check in about a month or two from now. Thanks for all the help guys :coolman:

TwinTurboTRex

Banned
blk04cobra1 said:
It just depends on how long you want to wait...Helion can probably have you the entire kit in 1.5 weeks...but i dont see 700rwhp on anything less than 20psi with the T-76 single...HP/THP kits take a little longer to get and are twin turbo...i like my HP kit, had a few issues, but who hasnt with any kit...but you'll have to wait about 45-60 days to get the complete kit.

45-60 days, man they are getting quick, used to be over 12 months, I just talked to a guy in Albuquerque, he ordered his fox body kit over seven months ago and has still yet to see his intercooler. That is fast service.

TwinTurboTRex

Banned
badcobra said:

I agree with Bad Cobra, I have a THP kit w/twin 57's, it just made over a 1000rwhp and that was at 5700rpm, we stopped because we were out of injector, that is fixed and new numbers coming on Friday. What other kit is making this much power? I was the first cobra to hit over a 1000rwhp, and my number is still climbing. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread