Suggestions for which turbo kit (03 cobra)

03 TWIN

03 DSG Cobra
Established Member
Question for which turbo kit (03 cobra)

Well, the time has come to add a good power adder. I arrived late in the game as far 03/04 cobras go. Bought mine last sept. Instead of going whipple or KB, gonna go straight to turbo. Any advice on which kit to go with? I have seen alot of praise for the Hellion kit, but don't want to push 20+ psi through her to get over 700hp. Please spell out the kit brand/name so I know where to look and if I've heard of it already. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

95YellowGTBeast

LS7killr
Established Member
you can get 700 without pushin 20 psi...but it will require high octane fuel and or a really agressive tune, hp performance has some cars that make 700rwhp on 17psi i think but im not for sure

HellionCobra

More to come!
Established Member
Hellion is the only way to go. if it is the boost number you are worried about i am sure that you could make 700 pretty easily on pump gas.

Nate

smashedheadcat

Established Member
I disagree with hellion being the only way to go. Pound for pound, the twin turbo guys are putting down more power. HP's base kit with 22psi put down over 800rwhp with an 11 to 1 air to fuel and 12 degrees timing on 100 octane. There are a few options out there. Hellion is a wonderful choice, but it's not the only one.

HellionCobra

More to come!
Established Member
the only one if you want it tomorrow. LOL jk. we all know that i am biased as to which kit i endorse. and likewise you are too.

Nate

blk04cobra1

1000rwhp coming soon
Established Member
It just depends on how long you want to wait...Helion can probably have you the entire kit in 1.5 weeks...but i dont see 700rwhp on anything less than 20psi with the T-76 single...HP/THP kits take a little longer to get and are twin turbo...i like my HP kit, had a few issues, but who hasnt with any kit...but you'll have to wait about 45-60 days to get the complete kit.

03 TWIN

03 DSG Cobra
Established Member
I've spoke to Hellion and HP so far. I still have time to do some more research. I don't know about others, but I would rather make sure what kit I like before dropping 7-10k even though my money is already available. Time frames are correct for these kits as well. Hellion=about a week. HP=6/8 weeks. I didn't realize so many were already going turbo. Even my tuner is developing a kit. DAMN :beer:

NIELSTTCOBRA

Got Boost?
Established Member
HellionCobra said:
the only one if you want it tomorrow. LOL jk. we all know that i am biased as to which kit i endorse. and likewise you are too.

Nate

i didn't see anything in what smasheadcat said as being biased... what he said was based on facts. pound for pound, the twin kits ARE putting down more power. that being said, i've always endorsed hellion for their quality, power output, and customer service. just don't state it as the only way to go.

i endorse the TurboHorsepower kit. customer service is as good as it gets, price is in the same range as other turbo kits, and their power output is amoung the top contenders. for instance, my car just made 720rwhp/738rwtq at 14psi, 10 degrees timing, and 11.5 a/f accross the board on pump gas and a heatsoaked engine on a mustang dyno (i know, its a very long sentance). you wanted 700rwhp on pump gas but you'll get a hell of lot more than that on pump. i know my car is capable of safetly making over 800rwhp on pump. give me another couple weeks and i'll prove it. i finished my order up with THP over 6 months ago and jim still calls/emails to see how things are going.

good luck with your endeavor

TRBO VNM

NIELSTTCOBRA said:
i didn't see anything in what smasheadcat said as being biased... what he said was based on facts. pound for pound, the twin kits ARE putting down more power. that being said, i've always endorsed hellion for their quality, power output, and customer service. just don't state it as the only way to go.

i endorse the TurboHorsepower kit. customer service is as good as it gets, price is in the same range as other turbo kits, and their power output is amoung the top contenders. for instance, my car just made 720rwhp/738rwtq at 14psi, 10 degrees timing, and 11.5 a/f accross the board on pump gas and a heatsoaked engine on a mustang dyno (i know, its a very long sentance). you wanted 700rwhp on pump gas but you'll get a hell of lot more than that on pump. i know my car is capable of safetly making over 800rwhp on pump. give me another couple weeks and i'll prove it. i finished my order up with THP over 6 months ago and jim still calls/emails to see how things are going.

good luck with your endeavor

might be just an opinion, but I personally would never run that much power on pump gas. not even 700. whether it is capable or not, I am more concerned about safety and trying to make the engine last as long as I can, but enjoy it as much as I can. Nate(hellioncobra) has made 850 on pump gas. but it isn't something I would recommend to anyone or do myself.

jackers

Solid Axle Equipt
Established Member
NIELSTTCOBRA said:
for instance, my car just made 720rwhp/738rwtq at 14psi, 10 degrees timing, and 11.5 a/f accross the board on pump gas and a heatsoaked engine on a mustang dyno

I would run that all day long!

TRBO VNM

smashedheadcat said:
You guys are evil. LOL I'm a pansy, 12psi here with a 10.3 a/f. 17-18 degrees timing. LOL

na, me and jack are friends. he lives down the street. all in good fun.

jackers

Solid Axle Equipt
Established Member
Haha, never said anything about the stock bottom end.

The way I see it, by August or September my car will be back on the road with a new power adder under the hood, a block able to handle anything thrown at it, a transmission that puts the power to the ground, and a solid axle that is built like a tank.

So start saving money for a new block Jason, you are gonna need one soon too!

TRBO VNM

jackers said:
Haha, never said anything about the stock bottom end.

The way I see it, by August or September my car will be back on the road with a new power adder under the hood, a block able to handle anything thrown at it, a transmission that puts the power to the ground, and a solid axle that is built like a tank.

So start saving money for a new block Jason, you are gonna need one soon too!

hahaha, won't need it. I have a little thing called a boost controller and with the addition of juice, I am sure I can handle anything you bring and I will do it at stock weight with a IRS and 6-speed. :rockon:

back on topic....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread