Suffering Anxiety

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
I don't disagree.

When I said no parents, I was not referring to those that are orphaned. A lot of children have parents that simply exist in the home without any structure or discipline.

Sent from my [mind] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

I unfortunately have turned into my mother in a way. I didn’t have a father in the home.

And in my mother’s 20s and 30s she was more concerned with getting drunk, self medicating with pills and sleeping around. ( she had me when she early 20s)

Now she is going through her 6th or 7th engagement/marriage, and alone.

Fortunately I’ve avoided marriage. As by the time she was my age she was on marriage 3.

But I see myself in the same boat.. mid 50s and alone

Coiled03

Established Member
So, I watched it, against my better judgement, and I shouldn't have. Skip the first 20 minutes if you don't want to listen to a bunch of faith music.

The rest can be summarized as:
1) Eat better
2) Exercise
3) Get outside
4) Sleep more

Oh....and give all your worries to God, of course. That'll fix everything! That should go without saying given the presenter.

The thing on that list are apparently a miracle cure for anything that ails you, because that's what everyone recommends, seemingly without regard to what the issue is you're actually dealing with.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
So, I watched it, against my better judgement, and I shouldn't have. Skip the first 20 minutes if you don't want to listen to a bunch of faith music.

The rest can be summarized as:
1) Eat better
2) Exercise
3) Get outside
4) Sleep more

Oh....and give all your worries to God, of course. That'll fix everything! That should go without saying given the presenter.

The thing on that list are apparently a miracle cure for anything that ails you, because that's what everyone recommends, seemingly without regard to what the issue is you're actually dealing with.
I did say that it was a church message, so yes, it is faith based.

There is a lot to be said for physical activity and anxiety. Getting exercise, spending time outside, eating healthy, and getting plenty of rest are all huge factors in keeping a healthy outlook and general sense of well being.

I'm glad you watched the video, and I'm glad you gave your summary. 10 different people can watch the message, and we will have 10 different viewpoints. I will admit that after the first song I lost interest in the music (and I was in the audience). It isn't my style, but it is uplifting for many others.

I also stated that this is not a message intended to force anyone to believe in anything they don't want to. I get it; some people do not have the same belief I hold, and I am not shoving a message someone would prefer to reject down their throat. The message is here to show that anxiety is a part of life, and in the video you will hear many references of others that have suffered and overcome anxiety. There are modern and historical examples provided, as well as scriptural references in which some of the most faithful people in the Bible encounter complete and utter brokenness and fear. This message may not have related with you on the premise of religion, and that is fair. However, a glimmer of hope can be offered to someone else.

Faith is powerful. No one can truly deny that. In the case of anxiety and depression faith can be a huge anchor point, and provides hope otherwise not found.

I appreciate you taking the time to watch. I am hoping to read a few more reviews and opinions.

Twisted2v

Established Member

There is a lot to be said for physical activity and anxiety. Getting exercise, spending time outside, eating healthy, and getting plenty of rest are all huge factors in keeping a healthy outlook and general sense of well being.

I'm glad you watched the video, and I'm glad you gave your summary. 10 different people can watch the message, and we will have 10 different viewpoints. I will admit that after the first song I lost interest in the music (and I was in the audience). It isn't my style, but it is uplifting for many others.

I also stated that this is not a message intended to force anyone to believe in anything they don't want to. I get it; some people do not have the same belief I hold, and I am not shoving a message someone would prefer to reject down their throat. The message is here to show that anxiety is a part of life, and in the video you will hear many references of others that have suffered and overcome anxiety. There are modern and historical examples provided, as well as scriptural references in which some of the most faithful people in the Bible encounter complete and utter brokenness and fear. This message may not have related with you on the premise of religion, and that is fair. However, a glimmer of hope can be offered to someone else.

Faith is powerful. No one can truly deny that. In the case of anxiety and depression faith can be a huge anchor point, and provides hope otherwise not found.

I appreciate you taking the time to watch. I am hoping to read a few more reviews and opinions.

I'm not disagreeing with this, but a lot of people mess themselves up with drastic diet changes-even no matter how healthy it seems, or even overexercising, or exercise addiction.

Just a warning not to overdo it.

Coiled03

Established Member

I probably should apologize to you. I didn't mean my post to sound like an attack against you. I appreciate you weren't trying to shove a message down anyone's throat. My pre-disposition against all things religious probably tainted what I wrote.

If it helps one person, it was worth sharing, even if it doesn't resonate with everyone.

velocicaur

Established Member
I skipped the music part and made it to the 50 minute mark. It is an extremely religious talk. I know there are varying levels but as a non religious person, I rolled my eyes a few times almost immediately and had to buffer most of it out.

I think the most interesting and beneficial part is when he discusses his own issues with anxiety. Here is a pastor that had anxiety issues come up from giving too many sermons of all things. He always considered himself the alpha/athletic/superman type person - he could do anything. However, he realized he had a problem after a few months and sought help. He saw multiple counselors and went to a doctor for medication. This is something that many people do not do and is probably one of the biggest problems. It's always something I bring up when a topic of anxiety/depression comes up. We all think we don't have an issue and we'll sort ourselves out. It doesn't work like that. It continues to build upon itself and can continue to get worse. He mentioned that he was able to be free (or something along those lines) after a year. In most cases, people are still wondering what is wrong with them. They haven't even started to take action and this guy was much better off.

I wish he would have gone into more detail on why/how he was able to seek out help. How was he able to overcome the fear of "weakness" when admitting anxiety issues and the stigma that mental health carries, or how did he not see it as a weakness? Anxiety is not something that an alpha easily accepts.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I probably should apologize to you. I didn't mean my post to sound like an attack against you. I appreciate you weren't trying to shove a message down anyone's throat. My pre-disposition against all things religious probably tainted what I wrote.

If it helps one person, it was worth sharing, even if it doesn't resonate with everyone.
I didn't take it as an attack. We're good. No worries at all.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I skipped the music part and made it to the 50 minute mark. It is an extremely religious talk. I know there are varying levels but as a non religious person, I rolled my eyes a few times almost immediately and had to buffer most of it out.

I think the most interesting and beneficial part is when he discusses his own issues with anxiety. Here is a pastor that had anxiety issues come up from giving too many sermons of all things. He always considered himself the alpha/athletic/superman type person - he could do anything. However, he realized he had a problem after a few months and sought help. He saw multiple counselors and went to a doctor for medication. This is something that many people do not do and is probably one of the biggest problems. It's always something I bring up when a topic of anxiety/depression comes up. We all think we don't have an issue and we'll sort ourselves out. It doesn't work like that. It continues to build upon itself and can continue to get worse. He mentioned that he was able to be free (or something along those lines) after a year. In most cases, people are still wondering what is wrong with them. They haven't even started to take action and this guy was much better off.

I wish he would have gone into more detail on why/how he was able to seek out help. How was he able to overcome the fear of "weakness" when admitting anxiety issues and the stigma that mental health carries, or how did he not see it as a weakness? Anxiety is not something that an alpha easily accepts.
You're right, an Alpha refuses to see weakness, and if they do, it is eradicated as quickly as possible.

Steve is a sports nut. He is impressive as a person, and a great pastor. He lives on competition and adrenaline. "Quit" is not an option.

I won't tell his story, but I will ask him to tell it, or at least stop in and give a brief summary.

I tried to hide my anxiety before overcoming it. I refused to be weak. To overcome the issue, I had to address the issue. Yes, I took medication for a short time. I should have seen a counselor, but I was too manly for that. I bought a book by Lucinda Bassett titled "From Panic to Power". After reading that book I started studying psychology to learn more about my brain and how it processed things.

I struggled for more than a year, but I was good at hiding it.

CompOrange04GT

Established Member
Death is always on my mind. Hitting the concrete beams going under every underpass on the highway. Parking my truck in a storage unit, take some pills, and let it idle.

Wow, that was pretty dark.

I'll tune into it some time tonight.

Yup. I always know at any minute, and I think about it. I could just floor it and slam into some thing out in the oil field.

Drink a bottle of whiskey and a Few muscle relaxers... etc

I probably think about death over a dozen times a day. Honestly the only reason I stay going is my dogs.. I rescued both of them and I feel it’s my job to give them a life and if I end mine... I’m letting them down. Stupid reason to live.. but it’s really all I got..

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

Watch it again.

He answers your questions, but you’re not listening.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Kids without "parents in general" is a fraction of a fraction of a percent. Non issue in the grand scheme.

The lack of fathers is the real problem. Yet, in America, it's celebrated. Single moms/parents are praised for their "bravery" and irresponsible behavior in this country is absolutely rewarded.

Making better life decisions as a young person from the Social perspective (root cause, fundamental type stuff) will allow said person to live a much less "anxious" life as an adult.
Dat my baby daddy! Gawd, they make me want to rip my flesh off like the Hulk tears off clothes. I want to high step while simultaneously bitch slapping them.

CV355

_
Established Member
Yup. I always know at any minute, and I think about it. I could just floor it and slam into some thing out in the oil field.

I probably think about death over a dozen times a day. Honestly the only reason I stay going is my dogs.. I rescued both of them and I feel it’s my job to give them a life and if I end mine... I’m letting them down. Stupid reason to live.. but it’s really all I got..

Obligation. Many of us feel "obligated" to continue, as a sole reason. If you put in a really hard day of work and are completely exhausted, and you think about how nice it'll be to take a shower and head to bed... That's sort of how I view death. I struggle with it too, far more than I'll admit on here. All we can do is take it one day at a time, and find (healthy) ways to stay motivated.

In the video, at the 30:00 mark, the pastor describes an overwhelming "sinking" feeling. I'm sure everyone on here has experienced a moment in which that sinking feeling hit- bad news at the doctor, the phone call everyone dreads about a family member, the realization that something bad has happened. Imagine that feeling, all day, every day. That's your "normal state." Now, take some tragic or traumatic event and throw it on top. Your adrenal system dumps, you're not in the best state of mind, and now you're overloaded with adrenaline. "Overwhelming" isn't a strong enough word- it's like there are a thousand alarms going off, lights flashing, waves hitting you.

At 37:00, the pastor talks about "ruminating." I'm guilty of that x1000. Sometimes I get lost in the thoughts of every bad thing that has ever happened. I'd be a millionaire ten times over by now without some of those things happening- all things outside of my control. At minimum, I'd be debt free, mortgage paid off, and able to retire before 40. Hard not to ruminate over that, but it literally only makes things worse.

At 44:00, the pastor describes where Elijah felt despair and wanted to give up, despite successes of previous days. The pastor's comments about social media are spot on- social media is a plague and is only making anxiety worse for most people. Even the ones that appear to be "on top of the world" like Instagram models are riddled with problems. I got rid of Facebook 4 years ago and I don't miss it one bit. All Facebook served as was a slap to the face. I remember the day I found out our house flooded, I posted on Facebook that I could really use some help. 300+ people on there, many of whom I had helped in the past. I got one message, from a girl I went to college with "Hey sorry about your house, can you help me with this report I'm writing?" It's a poison.

At 58:00, the pastor talks about getting outside. Disconnecting from indoor/electronic distractions helps. I've been putting in a ridiculous amount of effort into fixing up our yard. The exercise helps for sure, and I'm less distracted by the crap that builds up in the house (bills, warning letters, oh look the dog barfed again). For the last 3 months, I've actually had a good sleeping habit- first time in 15 years. Previously, it was 2-3 hours of interrupted sleep per night at most, and it was not uncommon for me to go up to 4 days without sleep at a time. Avoid that. If any of you are having sleeping problems, get it checked out. There's no point trying to improve anywhere else if your foundation is cracked.

I still don't fully understand "giving your problems to God," though. Don't know if I ever will. I pray every night, without fail. Mostly it's for other people. When I've sat there and prayed hard, asking for thing to improve in my life, it's almost inviting more loss at an accelerated rate. In early 2011, I was living out of 3 large Rubbermaid containers and had a 3/4" wooden rod hanging from the ceiling with coat hanger wire for hanging jackets and dress shirts for work. My bed was on four plastic blocks. My desk was plywood and held together with drywall screws. Everything else was on a $50 Home Depot warehouse rack. My Mustang was stolen and damaged, and my Explorer was having transmission issues. Literally nothing was going right. Funny though, I lived like a derelict, but I worked on life-saving medical devices by day. A co-worker who happened to be quite religious told me "I think God is trying to get your attention." Ok, for what? That night, I prayed for guidance, and maybe an hour later, my computer caught fire, wiped out both hard drives (Azza case, chinese solder on SATA boards). I remember being so angry and unable to process everything that I slammed my head as hard as I could into a steel support beam, passed out on the floor, woke up with blood everywhere. I superglued the gash on my forehead and told people at work I got hurt working under a car.

I kept praying. Later that year, I quit my job and moved to SC to start over. Met my wife a few months after moving. 2012 was probably the best year of my life. It was simple. I didn't have much- a cobbled-together PC, my Volvo, a couple guitars, and a bed, and I made $38/hr less than I make now. But, I was spending every weekend on inexpensive day trips with my girlfriend (now wife). Really puts things in perspective...

The 2010/2011 nightmare re-manifested from 2016-2018. Hoping this year is the turnaround. I keep praying. Any of you who are also going through rough times, can't hurt to keep praying.

Last edited:

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member

You would let more down than just your dogs. A lot of people would miss you.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Obligation. Many of us feel "obligated" to continue, as a sole reason. If you put in a really hard day of work and are completely exhausted, and you think about how nice it'll be to take a shower and head to bed... That's sort of how I view death. I struggle with it too, far more than I'll admit on here. All we can do is take it one day at a time, and find (healthy) ways to stay motivated.

In the video, at the 30:00 mark, the pastor describes an overwhelming "sinking" feeling. I'm sure everyone on here has experienced a moment in which that sinking feeling hit- bad news at the doctor, the phone call everyone dreads about a family member, the realization that something bad has happened. Imagine that feeling, all day, every day. That's your "normal state." Now, take some tragic or traumatic event and throw it on top. Your adrenal system dumps, you're not in the best state of mind, and now you're overloaded with adrenaline. "Overwhelming" isn't a strong enough word- it's like there are a thousand alarms going off, lights flashing, waves hitting you.

At 37:00, the pastor talks about "ruminating." I'm guilty of that x1000. Sometimes I get lost in the thoughts of every bad thing that has ever happened. I'd be a millionaire ten times over by now without some of those things happening- all things outside of my control. At minimum, I'd be debt free, mortgage paid off, and able to retire before 40. Hard not to ruminate over that, but it literally only makes things worse.

At 44:00, the pastor describes where Elijah felt despair and wanted to give up, despite successes of previous days. The pastor's comments about social media are spot on- social media is a plague and is only making anxiety worse for most people. Even the ones that appear to be "on top of the world" like Instagram models are riddled with problems. I got rid of Facebook 4 years ago and I don't miss it one bit. All Facebook served as was a slap to the face. I remember the day I found out our house flooded, I posted on Facebook that I could really use some help. 300+ people on there, many of whom I had helped in the past. I got one message, from a girl I went to college with "Hey sorry about your house, can you help me with this report I'm writing?" It's a poison.

At 58:00, the pastor talks about getting outside. Disconnecting from indoor/electronic distractions helps. I've been putting in a ridiculous amount of effort into fixing up our yard. The exercise helps for sure, and I'm less distracted by the crap that builds up in the house (bills, warning letters, oh look the dog barfed again). For the last 3 months, I've actually had a good sleeping habit- first time in 15 years. Previously, it was 2-3 hours of interrupted sleep per night at most, and it was not uncommon for me to go up to 4 days without sleep at a time. Avoid that. If any of you are having sleeping problems, get it checked out. There's no point trying to improve anywhere else if your foundation is cracked.

I still don't fully understand "giving your problems to God," though. Don't know if I ever will. I pray every night, without fail. Mostly it's for other people. When I've sat there and prayed hard, asking for thing to improve in my life, it's almost inviting more loss at an accelerated rate. In early 2011, I was living out of 3 large Rubbermaid containers and had a 3/4" wooden rod hanging from the ceiling with coat hanger wire for hanging jackets and dress shirts for work. My bed was on four plastic blocks. My desk was plywood and held together with drywall screws. Everything else was on a $50 Home Depot warehouse rack. My Mustang was stolen and damaged, and my Explorer was having transmission issues. Literally nothing was going right. Funny though, I lived like a derelict, but I worked on life-saving medical devices by day. A co-worker who happened to be quite religious told me "I think God is trying to get your attention." Ok, for what? That night, I prayed for guidance, and maybe an hour later, my computer caught fire, wiped out both hard drives (Azza case, chinese solder on SATA boards). I remember being so angry and unable to process everything that I slammed my head as hard as I could into a steel support beam, passed out on the floor, woke up with blood everywhere. I superglued the gash on my forehead and told people at work I got hurt working under a car.

I kept praying. Later that year, I quit my job and moved to SC to start over. Met my wife a few months after moving. 2012 was probably the best year of my life. It was simple. I didn't have much- a cobbled-together PC, my Volvo, a couple guitars, and a bed, and I made $38/hr less than I make now. But, I was spending every weekend on inexpensive day trips with my girlfriend (now wife). Really puts things in perspective...

The 2010/2011 nightmare re-manifested from 2016-2018. Hoping this year is the turnaround. I keep praying. Any of you who are also going through rough times, can't hurt to keep praying.
Giving things to God is to trust Him. If course there is a lot more to detail in regard to a relationship, but that is the simple definition.

I'm glad to know a few people were helped by the message. I've had several texts from people that have not posted here thankful for that message. The need for hope is real, and hope exists.

CV355

_
Established Member
Giving things to God is to trust Him. If course there is a lot more to detail in regard to a relationship, but that is the simple definition.

I'm glad to know a few people were helped by the message. I've had several texts from people that have not posted here thankful for that message. The need for hope is real, and hope exists.

That second one you sent me helped too. It's still a concept I struggle with though- one of those "I get it, but I don't get it" situations.

Coiled03

Established Member
Everybody always talks about getting help. It's not that easy to do. I know because I tried. The problem is first getting over the fear/shame/whatever of actually asking for help. Then, when you finally do, you realize you have to see half a dozen different people before you find one you can actually work with. I tried 3 counselors, then gave up.

CompOrange04GT

Established Member
Obligation. Many of us feel "obligated" to continue, as a sole reason. .

I try to use a different word. As obligation feels like a damned if I do/if I don’t type of situation.

“ Purpose” like my 2nd dog I have. I found him running Around the oil fields. 19 miles outside of town.

I shouldn’t have been there. I should have been in my normal area. But I decided to check something out there and I found him running Around.

I can 100% without a doubt tell you, if I didn’t have my dogs. I wouldn’t be alive. It’s probably like I said the most stupid reason ever to continue living. But it’s a reason I guess

I’ve already told myself after these two dogs are gone. I won’t get another. At that point maybe I will be in a better spot in my head. Maybe I won’t.

I know I should change how I live. As of this moment though, I don’t see it happening. Don’t get me wrong I’ve cut back on drinking and sex a LOT... but cutting back on that just means I sit at home in my own thoughts instead of being able to forget them for a night

CV355

_
Established Member
Everybody always talks about getting help. It's not that easy to do. I know because I tried. The problem is first getting over the fear/shame/whatever of actually asking for help. Then, when you finally do, you realize you have to see half a dozen different people before you find one you can actually work with. I tried 3 counselors, then gave up.

There's also the fear of how the system treats you for asking for help. A little over two years ago, I wound up at the ER for what I thought was a heart attack. After several tests coming back fine, the doctor came in the room, sat down and said "what's really going on?" I unloaded. Next thing, I'm handed a small binder to fill out before they'd let me leave. I refused to sign it until they explained what it would be used for. Since then, I've had two C3 applications from 2016 denied without notice. I wonder what else is happening behind the scenes that I don't know about.

I still see a specialist now and then, but I'm not on any medications whatsoever (thankfully). Meds really only ever made things worse. As I said to the doctor one day "you prescribe me a pill that gets rid of idiots, fixes my house, pays my bills, and helps me sleep at night, and I'll be happy. Otherwise, nothing you prescribe is going to address the root of the problem."

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Anxiety has absolutely ruined me. Depression set in which is just as bad if not worse.

Fear of not living up to expectations. Being judged by other people. Not living up to expectations (my own standards and what "society" set upon me) and just snowballed into all aspects of my life. I can even feel it driving now. I'm a disaster socially. I walk my dog around the block a few times a day and I can just see people looking at me, "what's wrong with him?" 34, no friends, living in my parent's basement working an absolute shit landscaping job (12/hr). Now the fear is... what is the point? I have about 35 years left on this world. My parents are getting older and they'll leave me eventually. I don't make enough money to live by myself with apartment prices and the cost of insurance, etc. My dad said he has left pretty much everything for me in his will. My sister lives an hour away and I don't get to see her much. She also struggles with anxiety and depression. She's doing much better career wise and makes good money but she doesn't have many friends, etc. either. She's just keeping it together and she's the only reason why I keep going. Death is always on my mind. Hitting the concrete beams going under every underpass on the highway. Parking my truck in a storage unit, take some pills, and let it idle.

Wow, that was pretty dark.

I'll tune into it some time tonight.

Whoa man, that is a rough outlook. I don't know you but I do remember your post about climbing out of the hole you had found yourself in. Don't give in to what drug you down before. As Rev has also offered, PM me if you'd ever want to chat, of course it would be confidential as it has been with several other members on this forum. I've had some rough times myself and I'd be happy to discuss how I've gotten past them.

Users who are viewing this thread