Suffering Anxiety

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I experienced a panic attack, and anxiety followed that event when I was 22-24 years old. That event is what drove me to study psychology, and more specifically, anxiety, panic, and depression. I wanted to understand what changed in the chemistry of my mind and why. I wanted to understand how to overcome the recirculating thought process that many are debilitated by.

I lived in Atlanta, and I was involved in two business start ups, I worked at a locksmith supply company, and taught my customers new technology. In rarely slept, I worked non-stop, my eating habits were terrible despite my daily workout routine. My mind and body had enough and I collapsed. I am very familiar with anxiety, both minor and clinical. The best way to describe it; it sucks!

Most of you know that I approach things with a Christian worldview. That shouldn't be a big surprise to those that know me. I am an ordained pastor, and even though I do not have a physical church to lead as a pastor, I still counsel a lot of people in regard to panic, anxiety, depression, and worry.

While at church yesterday, Steve Davis, pastor of True North Community Church in North Augusta, SC covered the topic, and summed up what I teach long term. Because I am familiar with anxiety his message grabbed me personally. It impacted me enough to pass it along.

Yes, I am posting a link to a church service. You do not have to be a Christian, or believe in any God or god to harvest a lot of valuable encouragement and information. I am not pushing religion on anyone; that is a personal choice you can make, and I'm not going to shove Jesus down your throat. However, I am going to ask you to listen to this message with an open mind. It is worth the 45 minutes to an hour of your time.

I hope you get as much out of this message as I did. I hope it helps. ...and I will gladly answer any questions, and even help those of you that may suffer with anxiety.

Hope in the Face of Anxiety - TrueNorth Church
Hope in the Face of Anxiety - TrueNorth Church

Sent from my [mind] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

CV355

_
Established Member
I promised I'd watch/listen to that today, still planning to.

Anxiety is an endemic in 1st world countries. The world is getting increasingly complicated as we continue to add "convenience." We're constantly bombarded by stimulii intended to "help" that really don't, such as ads, notifications, dings, beeps, buzzes, etc. It's built into everything now.

Just like depression, a lot of society views anxiety as "just a matter of perspective" and not a real problem. Perspective helps for sure, but anyone who hasn't experienced a debilitating level of it won't understand the effects anxiety has. I've had genuine panic attacks in traffic, during travel, and at work. That jolting feeling you get when a fire alarm goes off without notice- it's like that, without pause. The top of the mental thermometer blows off, you react in fight/flight, and eventually you calm back down to whatever "normal" is.

It's strange, but makes logical sense- the least stressed I was in my entire life was slightly after I had just lost everything to flooding/theft. After the initial shock, it was almost liberating. All I had to worry about was basic necessities. Much of our stress stems from maintaining/protecting that which we own (including what we put ourselves through at work to maintain the pay).

_Snake_

Established Member
Great topic and great thread. Thanks for sharing- I’ll definitely watch this when I have time.

On a related note, the Pastor at the church we attend told everyone yesterday that he’s putting something together on depression and anxiety for the entire month of November.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
Anxiety effects me because of my alone time.

Those that know me know, I live alone. I wake up alone. I drive an hour and a half to work alone. All day I’m alone in my truck. I come home alone. I go to sleep alone.

Which means all day every day my mind is free to run rampant. Unfortunately my brain isn’t wired to run rampant positively.

It’s why my dating decisions suck. It’s why I moved three women into my house last year, because being 100% alone sucks.

There are times when I truly know. I could die, and it wouldn’t be discovered for a few days, and it would be by my company wondering where I am. ( I don’t go to an office so nobody in the office sees me on a regular basis )

Anxiety is a cold bitch, and once it gets a hold of you. I’m not sure it ever let’s go

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I promised I'd watch/listen to that today, still planning to.

Anxiety is an endemic in 1st world countries. The world is getting increasingly complicated as we continue to add "convenience." We're constantly bombarded by stimulii intended to "help" that really don't, such as ads, notifications, dings, beeps, buzzes, etc. It's built into everything now.

Just like depression, a lot of society views anxiety as "just a matter of perspective" and not a real problem. Perspective helps for sure, but anyone who hasn't experienced a debilitating level of it won't understand the effects anxiety has. I've had genuine panic attacks in traffic, during travel, and at work. That jolting feeling you get when a fire alarm goes off without notice- it's like that, without pause. The top of the mental thermometer blows off, you react in fight/flight, and eventually you calm back down to whatever "normal" is.

It's strange, but makes logical sense- the least stressed I was in my entire life was slightly after I had just lost everything to flooding/theft. After the initial shock, it was almost liberating. All I had to worry about was basic necessities. Much of our stress stems from maintaining/protecting that which we own (including what we put ourselves through at work to maintain the pay).
A lot of that is covered. I'm impressed with the amount of material covered.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
My son's 25 year old basketball coach is "sick" every month from "panic attacks". Gets physically sick. Ive seen it happen in person.

My gut reaction is to walk up to him and shout BETA!! as loud as I can and tell his millennial ass to get up and get at it.

I understand I shouldn't be this way, but it's truly hard for me to not look at this through "WTF is wrong with American men in 2019" type of goggles.

What's everyone's biggest fear? Losing possessions? Losing family (yes that would suck)? Failing at "life"?

IDK.

Coiled03

Established Member

Those that know me know, I live alone. I wake up alone. I drive an hour and a half to work alone. All day I’m alone in my truck. I come home alone. I go to sleep alone.

Which means all day every day my mind is free to run rampant. Unfortunately my brain isn’t wired to run rampant positively.

It’s why my dating decisions suck. It’s why I moved three women into my house last year, because being 100% alone sucks.

There are times when I truly know. I could die, and it wouldn’t be discovered for a few days, and it would be by my company wondering where I am. ( I don’t go to an office so nobody in the office sees me on a regular basis )

Anxiety is a cold bitch, and once it gets a hold of you. I’m not sure it ever let’s go

Sounds exactly like my life, except my drive to work is only about 8 minutes, and I don't ever meet women to make bad decisions with.

_Snake_

Established Member
My son's 25 year old basketball coach is "sick" every month from "panic attacks". Gets physically sick. Ive seen it happen in person.

My gut reaction is to walk up to him and shout BETA!! as loud as I can and tell his millennial ass to get up and get at it.

I understand I shouldn't be this way, but it's truly hard for me to not look at this through "WTF is wrong with American men in 2019" type of goggles.

What's everyone's biggest fear? Losing possessions? Losing family (yes that would suck)? Failing at "life"?

IDK.

I honestly had the same perspective for most of my life. When I was dating, I avoided any girl who was taking meds for depression or anxiety because I didn’t want to get involved with someone who was “crazy” or unable to cope with day to day stuff. My view has changed a lot in the past six months.

You may remember my best friend was killed October 30th. What I haven’t shared here is my journey since then. I experienced emotions and thoughts that I never thought I could have. At one point suicide was an option that my warped mind put on the table as viable. I’m 45, never had a problem coping, and have never been diagnosed with any mental illnesses until recently.

It’s something that’s really hard to understand unless you’ve experienced it, but I can promise you it’s very real and can affect anyone.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member

Alone can and does cause anxiety and depression. You are right about that.

Anxiety feels endless and hopeless. It is debilitating. It can shut you down and hold you back from your potential. Anxiety can be overcome though.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member

IDK.
I wish it was that simple. One way to explain it would be to use PTSD. Something triggers the panic or anxiousness, and for some reason the mind gets stuck on repeat. Unfortunately everytime the negative thought loops, it compounds and becomes more complex. Serotonin and other chemicals, as well as the manner in which the brain transfers information is altered. It can happen in an instant. Anxiety disorders can also be genetic (that's another topic).

Anxiety is far from BETA. Some of the most creative and innovative people to ever walk the planet have struggled with clinical anxiety. Some of the greatest leaders in the world have suffered with anxiety. When I experienced my bout of anxiety I thought I ruled the world. I was humbled very quickly.

Your son's coach needs to see a Dr and a counselor. Seeking help isn't a form of weakness, it is a sign of determination; at least it should be. We are not invincible. Superman does not exist. ...and yes, anxiety is a rising epidemic among modern Americans, especially our younger generation. Some of this is a lack of coping skills. Our diet plays a role, as does exercise, a lack of natural sunlight, social interaction, etc.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I honestly had the same perspective for most of my life. When I was dating, I avoided any girl who was taking meds for depression or anxiety because I didn’t want to get involved with someone who was “crazy” or unable to cope with day to day stuff. My view has changed a lot in the past six months.

You may remember my best friend was killed October 30th. What I haven’t shared here is my journey since then. I experienced emotions and thoughts that I never thought I could have. At one point suicide was an option that my warped mind put on the table as viable. I’m 45, never had a problem coping, and have never been diagnosed with any mental illnesses until recently.

It’s something that’s really hard to understand unless you’ve experienced it, but I can promise you it’s very real and can affect anyone.

I don't disagree. To your point, I don't understand because I haven't had it happen to me... hopefully never will.

Im 41, so close to your age.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member

IDK.
My fear is passing before my affairs are in order. I've done pretty well at life and am content where I am. Now, if I'd win the lottery, I'd have a stable of kickass cars to sit and polish.....

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
... Some of the most creative and innovative people to ever walk the planet have struggled with clinical anxiety. Some of the greatest leaders in the world have suffered with anxiety. When I experienced my bout of anxiety I thought I ruled the world. I was humbled very quickly.

I agree with that 100%.

Your son's coach needs to see a Dr and a counselor. Seeking help isn't a form of weakness, it is a sign of determination; at least it should be. We are not invincible. Superman does not exist. ...and yes, anxiety is a rising epidemic among modern Americans, especially our younger generation. Some of this is a lack of coping skills. Our diet plays a role, as does exercise, a lack of natural sunlight, social interaction, etc.

Agree with all that but the biggest culprit is lack of fathers in the home.

It's only going to get worse with America going full 100% Secular. Our country is in for a world of SHIT.. coming soon to a theatre near you.

hard-times-create-strong-men-strong-men-create-good-times-137901.png

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
I’m not sure how old everyone is that will be reached by that message but I’m coming up on 40. When I lost my dad at 24 to cancer, likely brought on from constant worrying and anxiety (ulcers and colitis) over my two elder siblings, I realized it isn’t worth your health to drive yourself mad over such things.

This world will eat you up and spit you out of you let it, so don’t get caught up in the rat race, live within your means and control the things you can control. Everything else you try and prepare for but you don’t stress and you don’t let it dictate your actions. My wife still has this problem and occasionally still has panic attacks, but she’s much better than when we met.

Point is, you can get through anything no matter what with the right mind set but you have to be WILLING to let everything else go beyond you control and stop chasing things that are either unobtainable or not worth the cost, whether emotional or physical, that it takes to get them. That big ass house and fancy cars or the spouse who demands everything, they aren’t worth your time and energy if it debilitates you to the point you can’t function in any aspect of your life.

Some of us learn this sooner or later than other folks, but it’s a lesson we all need to learn so preach on brother!

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I agree with that 100%.

Agree with all that but the biggest culprit is lack of fathers in the home.

It's only going to get worse with America going full 100% Secular. Our country is in for a world of SHIT.. coming soon to a theatre near you.

View attachment 1571294
A lack of fathers, and parents in general causes instability.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I’m not sure how old everyone is that will be reached by that message but I’m coming up on 40. When I lost my dad at 24 to cancer, likely brought on from constant worrying and anxiety (ulcers and colitis) over my two elder siblings, I realized it isn’t worth your health to drive yourself mad over such things.

This world will eat you up and spit you out of you let it, so don’t get caught up in the rat race, live within your means and control the things you can control. Everything else you try and prepare for but you don’t stress and you don’t let it dictate your actions. My wife still has this problem and occasionally still has panic attacks, but she’s much better than when we met.

Point is, you can get through anything no matter what with the right mind set but you have to be WILLING to let everything else go beyond you control and stop chasing things that are either unobtainable or not worth the cost, whether emotional or physical, that it takes to get them. That big ass house and fancy cars or the spouse who demands everything, they aren’t worth your time and energy if it debilitates you to the point you can’t function in any aspect of your life.

Some of us learn this sooner or later than other folks, but it’s a lesson we all need to learn so preach on brother!
Anxiety can attack at any age. It can be introduced by things that appear normal and harmless. It can also show up when we find ourselves under intense pressure. We all have a breaking point. I also know that the breaking point can be defeated. The mind is an incredible thing.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
A lack of fathers, and parents in general causes instability.

Kids without "parents in general" is a fraction of a fraction of a percent. Non issue in the grand scheme.

The lack of fathers is the real problem. Yet, in America, it's celebrated. Single moms/parents are praised for their "bravery" and irresponsible behavior in this country is absolutely rewarded.

Making better life decisions as a young person from the Social perspective (root cause, fundamental type stuff) will allow said person to live a much less "anxious" life as an adult.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Kids without "parents in general" is a fraction of a fraction of a percent. Non issue in the grand scheme.

The lack of fathers is the real problem. Yet, in America, it's celebrated. Single moms/parents are praised for their "bravery" and irresponsible behavior in this country is absolutely rewarded.

Making better life decisions as a young person from the Social perspective (root cause, fundamental type stuff) will allow said person to live a much less "anxious" life as an adult.
I don't disagree.

When I said no parents, I was not referring to those that are orphaned. A lot of children have parents that simply exist in the home without any structure or discipline.

Coiled03

Established Member
Alone can and does cause anxiety and depression. You are right about that.

Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. Here's the problem, at least for me. If you're familiar with Myers-Briggs, I'm an INTJ which means I'm an introverted thinker. I deliberate, and think before speaking. Most people conflate that with boring, not fun, aloof, shy, quiet, etc.. Do you ever hear anyone say they want to meet somebody who's quiet, or not outgoing? Nah....me neither.

Furthermore, I live alone. I have no friends who live any closer than about 2.5 hours away. So, in order for me to NOT be alone, I'd have to go out by myself with the sole intent of meeting new people or making new friends. The problem is, to me, being around a bunch of people I don't know, trying to converse or make small talk with them, causes more anxiety than being alone. I can't even tell you how uncomfortable it is for me, trying to strike up a conversation with a stranger, or pretend like I care. In other words, to break the cycle, I have to be somebody I'm not.

I've heard people say you have to "fake it 'til you make it". But doesn't everyone always complain about fake people? How are you supposed to get to know someone based on a fake personality? I can't do that.

Anyhow, didn't mean to derail the thread with a bunch of whining. Carry on.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Definitely have anxiety myself. Happens every time I am trying to rub one out to some HD Bang Bros. before the ball and chain gets home... I know she is coming, gotta get there first, myself...

The clock’s a tickin and my cockle’s a spittin!

Users who are viewing this thread