Stock Z06 blows engine on track

129saleen

Saleen poster
Established Member
That sucks but why should GM pay for repairs?

Racing at a track is at your own risk... Yes its built for it but its a risk you take..

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
Wow! That is a spectacular example of a blown engine.

It looked like it severed a fuel line instantly, and that's what a lot of that white smoke/mist was that came out from under it, as well as the reason it caught fire so quick.

It almost sounds like you can hear the fuel mist hit the camera car as they pass through it, a light swish sound.

I can't believe the damage done to the inside of the engine, that's crazy.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
I was sold when I got my Z06 and now I regret of buying it. It looks good and all that but the engine is having a high unreliable failure rate that I just can't justify. I don't hear much from viper engines blowing up. I didn't know they had engine issues.
They don't. The failure rate on stock LS7's is less than 1%. Since the car was designed as a street legal track car more Z06's end up on the track and are pushed harder than the majority of standard street legal performance vehicles. How many Viper owners track their cars regularly? Not nearly as many as Z06 owners I'm betting. It's all in the numbers and the internet is skewed because no one writes forum messages about how they beat the piss out of their Z06 at the last HPDE and never had a problem. You only hear about the failures so naturally it seems there's a lot when in actuality the failure rate is quite low.

The main issue is oil starvation in high G corners. They fixed it in 09' with a larger dry sump.
Yup. The problem was occurring in long sweeping left-hand high G corners.

top of the line vette and that's what you get???
Actually they make a model one step higher these days. It's called the ZR1

Racing at a track is at your own risk... Yes its built for it but its a risk you take..
Not when the event is an "Official" HPDE and the car is bone stock. GM will cover track failures.

U.M.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Good post U.M. Heck, the 2003-2004 Cobra was the top dog Mustang and it has had more than a few blown engines from high speed banzai runs. Like with the Terminator, under "normal" conditions these motors are pretty much bullet-proof. When pushed to their limits (like the Terminator, etc.) stuff happens.

bigdog93lx

Gallons per mile
Established Member
Good for GM for replacing the motor.

On a side note its not like the 03-04 Cobra head was a recall. They only fixed it as deemed neccassary in a case by case basis I.E. certain head ticks. So don't pat FORD on the back to quickly. The 03-04 cobra motor is a tight PTW and head tick away from one of the best motors Ford ever built.

doubletrouble

The Mad Scientist
Established Member

I agree, but that's why GM is Badass and Nissan is suck ass! There's a video of you racing your car online and you still get a new engine. 5yr/100K powertrain warranty FTW!

If you turn on Launch control, Nissan voids your tranny warranty??? WTF?

GraphicNature

Viewer Discretion Advised
Established Member
depending on the year, some had needle bearings from the rockers releasing, i believe mainly the 07s

That has been a problem with all LS engines. My 01 SS did it. Change the oil and hear them hitting the catch pan. I know LS engines make good power, but I have stated before they are junk and so are the vehicles they go in. That is why I would rather drive my GT, at least I know Ill get to where I am going.

1.8t

Established Member
That looks like a dropped valve to me from how immediate it was. Oil starvation is a much slower process.

Aerosi665

Daily Driver
Established Member
I'm not a huge GM guy but I do like the corvette, props to GM for covering the motor, even on a track. Obviously with a stock motor that type of failure shouldn't have ever occurred, however pretty much every other company out there would've said you're SOL because of your location.

yoda

Boost Lee Roy
Established Member
I agree, but that's why GM is Badass and Nissan is suck ass! There's a video of you racing your car online and you still get a new engine. 5yr/100K powertrain warranty FTW!

If you turn on Launch control, Nissan voids your tranny warranty??? WTF?

As if he told GM that it blew at the track and they just replaced it anyway.
"stock car, they questioned and I said it blew up, that's about as much info as I needed to give them lol"

GM is just like any other manufacture when it comes to mods/tracking a car and warranty.If they knew it blew up at a track i doubt they would have replaced the motor unless they have a recall (dry sump).Its a risk that everyone takes if you mod or track a car and something happens.

Denied for a tuned ecu
2008 Z06 Engine Failure - GM voids warranty - Corvette Forum

Denied for tracking his zo6
C-6 Z06 Blown engine not warranted by GM - Corvette Forum

Denied for headers and highflow cats
GM bragging about voiding my warranty[merged] - Corvette Forum

Last edited:

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
GM is just like any other manufacture when it comes to mods/tracking a car and warranty. If they knew it blew up at a track i doubt they would have replaced the motor unless they have a recall (dry sump).Its a risk that everyone takes if you mod or track a car and something happens.
Well you're both right and wrong here. If the car is BONE STOCK and the failure happened at an authorized HPDE (That's a High Performance Driving Event for those unfamiliar with the acronym) they have been covering the failure under warranty for the most part, but if it's modded then tough luck. Your examples below prove what here? That GM doesn't cover mechanical failures on modded Vette's which as far as I know no manufacturer does.
This guys car had 1200 miles on it when he bought it and the ECU had been found to be modified. Possibly by the original owner. Warranty voided.

This was a driving school and not an authorized HPDE.

Again, modified so warranty work denied.

There are a handfull of posts in the Corvette Forums of GM replacing Z06 motors after failures during authorized HPDE's.

U.M.

Last edited:

yoda

Boost Lee Roy
Established Member
Well you're both right and wrong here. If the car is BONE STOCK and the failure happened at an authorized HPDE (That's a High Performance Driving Event for those unfamiliar with the acronym) they have been covering the failure under warranty for the most part, but if it's modded then tough luck. Your examples below prove what here? That GM doesn't cover mechanical failures on modded Vette's which as far as I know no manufacturer does.
This guys car had 1200 miles on it when he bought it and the ECU had been found to be modified. Possibly by the original owner. Warranty voided.

This was a driving school and not an authorized HPDE.

Again, modified so warranty work denied.

There are a handfull of posts in the Corvette Forums of GM replacing Z06 motors after failures during authorized HPDE's.

U.M.

It prove that Gm is no different.Gm will void a warranty for modded cars, and cars that have failed on a track just like other manufactures.The links were just examples of it happening for the guy i quoted.This guy blew his stock motor at a HPDE event but was smart enough to not tell Gm. Who in there right mind is gonna incriminate themselves by saying it blew up at a drag strip or road course etc?

Last edited:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
"GM is just like any other manufacture when it comes to mods/tracking a car and warranty"

I think my point was clear.Gm will void a warranty for modded cars, and cars that have failed on a track just like other manufactures.The links were just examples of it happening for the guy i quoted.

Yeah except Nissan was voiding warranties for turning off the VDC on a STOCK car driven regularly on the street. :kaboom: Big difference between not being covered because the owner admitted the failure happened at a race event, or due to the car being modified.

yoda

Boost Lee Roy
Established Member
Yeah except Nissan was voiding warranties for turning off the VDC on a STOCK car driven regularly on the street. :kaboom: Big difference between not being covered because the owner admitted the failure happened at a race event, or due to the car being modified.

You cant just abuse a car and expect the manufacture to replace stuff for free if something breaks.If your willing to abuse/track/mod a car then you should man up, period.There is no use in turning vdc off on the street unless your using lc. In that case, anyone that thinks high rpm clutch dumps on the street is regular street driving is a ricer anyway.

Last edited:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
You cant just abuse a car and expect the manufacture to replace stuff for free if something breaks.If your willing to abuse/track/mod a car then you should man up, period.There is no use in turning vdc off on the street unless your using lc. In that case, anyone that thinks high rpm clutch dumps on the street is regular street driving is a ricer anyway.

Huh? If there is a mechanical failure from using a feature that the manufacture installed from the factory, we should not expect it to be covered under warranty? :banana: Interesting!! So I guess if you turn off the active handling on the Z06, dump the clutch on the street in a stock car I should not expect GM not to cover a mechanical failure?

BTW, since when did launching cars to their ability become ricer?? :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread