Steigemeier Stage V Torque Plate Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

stangnutlx

Dreamin about Boobies
Established Member
You would accept a new plate welded in your blower? Have you read anything thats been posted?

Thats exacty why, imo, he wont make any statements. He wants 1 on 1 with guys like you who will take whatever he's giving.

That is the definition of "Damage control". Down play the problem and keep as much as you can out of public dialogue. Its day one stuff guys.

Not like me i dont own a ported blower, it was just a suggestion no need for a lynching....:beer:

But what is an acceptible resolution for you? Just curious not bieng a dick.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
In most situations where a tough decision needs to be made, there's 2 sides of the story. Of course. But its also amazing to me how NO members of this 'community' are backing Steig.'s efforts. Only Moderators. And NO Moderators are backing the side of the customer (at least PUBLICLY WHERE IT COUNTS). Only members.

My blowers coming off. And going to Posi.

What do you want me to do?

This thread was supposed to be a technical discussion in the first place and started out well but it gets hyjacked and some bashing goes on.

Now if I delete/infract/close the thread I get blamed for censorship. If I/we let it run amuck we get reported post and blamed for not doing enough.

I can't make a man come in here and say something if he wants to handle it a different way than you want so I get blamed for not supporting the members and backing a vendor just because he is a vendor.

I come here and say People with the stage 5 needs to call and then come back and report and still get blamed for not supporting members and backing a vendor?

****, I believe I'm dammed if I do and dammed if I don't.
Anyone want a mod job? You can deal with all this crap and not get paid for it.
Everone, You especially keeps blaming the Moderators, You don't have a clue I guess. Moderators do NOT own the site, we have NO monetary interest in the site and we do not deal with the vendors directly.
All I can do is post in here or send a PM to Bob or any other vendor asking them to chime in.

Basicaly I can't do shit.

BTW, I would have expected Bob to be flooded with calls but guess what, After 3 days of this do anyone want to guess how many he got?

I won't make you wait in suspense,

supercarkiller

griggsg40svt
Established Member
b/c no one wants a product that could fail and "potentially" cost them thousands of dollars especially from a vendor that doesn't want to make right anyways???? what's so hard too understand ? not being a smartass

1BADSNK

Established Member

This thread was supposed to be a technical discussion in the first place and started out well but it gets hyjacked and some bashing goes on.

Now if I delete/infract/close the thread I get blamed for censorship. If I/we let it run amuck we get reported post and blamed for not doing enough.

I can't make a man come in here and say something if he wants to handle it a different way than you want so I get blamed for not supporting the members and backing a vendor just because he is a vendor.

I come here and say People with the stage 5 needs to call and then come back and report and still get blamed for not supporting members and backing a vendor?

BTW, I would have expected Bob to be flooded with calls but guess what, After 3 days of this do anyone want to guess how many he got?

I have the newer stage 5 & no, I'm not going to call him. He isn't going to drive to NH,take off my blower & remove the plate. He also isn't going to send me a check to pay to have someone remove the blower for me. :fm: So calling him will only amp my anger. Someone already posted a pic of the new plate & weld & IT WAS CRACKED. :nonono: I was lucky to catch this problem on the forum. I think its crap that everyone with a stage 5 doesn't get a call or even a simple letter to inform them of possible problems. I wonder how many people will run into this problem & have zero the info we have. Just wrong:nonono:

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member

Everone, You especially keeps blaming the Moderators, You don't have a clue I guess. Moderators do NOT own the site, we have NO monetary interest in the site and we do not deal with the vendors directly.
All I can do is post in here or send a PM to Bob or any other vendor asking them to chime in.

Basicaly I can't do shit.

Are you really surprised? None of the people complaining in this thread are really wanting anything. I myself own a Stage V ported blower that does not have the torque plate in it, my reasons for this are different from these but it makes me feel better now.

I would almost say close the thread and redirect any inquiries be called to Bob to be discussed one-on-one as he asked be done.

It sounds like he is willing to work with those that will take a few minutes and call.

For those calling on him to call each and every Stage V owner, have you thought this might just be a waste of time? I wonder how many of these blowers have changed hands since originally being ported. Mine was sent to be ported by a friend of mine and he ended up going another route in the end so I got it from him. Bob has absolutely no way to contact me.

So...to sum this thread up. If you have a Stage V ported blower with the torque plate installed, give Bob a call and see what he says. Until you're told to F-off or something similar let's keep this discussion in line.

Last edited:

BADASS03SVT

Established Member

Im pretty sure someone posted a few pages back that they called and spoke to them. so now who is lying...again here we go...

1BADSNK

Established Member
Are you really surprised? None of the people complaining in this thread are really wanting anything. I myself own a Stage V ported blower that does not have the torque plate in it, my reasons for this are different from these but it makes me feel better now.

I would almost say close the thread and redirect any inquiries be called to Bob to be discussed one-on-one as he asked be done.

It sounds like he is willing to work with those that will take a few minutes and call.

For those calling on him to call each and every Stage V owner, have you thought this might just be a waste of time? I wonder how many of these blowers have changed hands since originally being ported. Mine was sent to be ported by a friend of mine and he ended up going another route in the end so I got it from him. Bob has absolutely no way to contact me.

So...to sum this thread up. If you have a Stage V ported blower with the torque plate installed, give Bob a call and see what he says. Until you're told to F-off or something similar let's keep this discussion in line.

WASTE OF TIME???? Having to pull my F'ing blower off again is a waste of time(and money)!!!:fm: :cuss: I do agree this is now at a dead end. I will no longer post on this. Looking forward to getting a Whipple now:burnout: Let me end by saying, word of mouth can be an amazing thing.:beer:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Im pretty sure someone posted a few pages back that they called and spoke to them. so now who is lying...again here we go...

This is the only post I could find where someone contacted him.

This doesn't seem to me like he isn't willing to work with anyone.
And this guy contacted him before all this shit storm,
If is missed another I appoligize but to my knowledge he has not been contacted by anyone in the last 3 days about it.

My stage 5 was installed in February 2009 and Stieg said mine had the updated sturdier, torque plate and was not in danger of damage to the engine or supercharger. If I still had concerns, he said I could bring it in to check it out and get a free dyno pull to make sure it is top notch. I'm relying on his expertise, but in light of all the controversy, I believe I will have it checked.

I don't know the legitimacy of the photos and opinions that have been posted, although I suspect they are accurate. Having said that, I felt the proper approach was to contact Stiegemeier and they have responded appropriately.

If the first blowers were not ready for distribution or the entire innovation was a bad design, as long as he makes it right, I'm good with it (Remember Ford Pinto & Crown Vic fires, Firestone Tires, Toyota gas pedals, dangerous children's toys, etc.) Lets not forget Stiegs porting has benefited at great number of people.

I'm for competition and it sounds like posi has made a reputation for himself. We need Stiegemeier, too. I'm in the same boat as a lot of you and I hope my stage 5 is a stud. Regardless, he's working with me, so I'll let you know how it goes...

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
This is the only post I could find where someone contacted him.

This doesn't seem to me like he isn't willing to work with anyone.
And this guy contacted him before all this shit storm,
If is missed another I appoligize but to my knowledge he has not been contacted by anyone in the last 3 days about it.

thats the one

JMD0346

Established Member
Not like me i dont own a ported blower, it was just a suggestion no need for a lynching....:beer:

But what is an acceptible resolution for you? Just curious not bieng a dick.

Oh no man. I wasnt lynching at all. It was an honest question. You said you would be content with a new stage V. If you read the thread you would see why that isnt a very good option.

mustangtw

Established Member
Well, it sounds to me that Steig is going to continue welding the plates and truly believe that their new design is sturdy and problem free. However, there are welding experts on here who have voiced a different opinion. So, I guess it's up to the customer to choose their own destiny. Do you want to have steig fix your plate and possibly risk the welds cracking again, or just get rid of it all together? The choice is yours.

10thredvert

Established Member
OK, I have read all of this and have asked this question before, but what exactly does the plate do other than restrict the ability of the bypass valve to bypass the blower? It has been suggested that the plate be completely welded around it's circumference, wouldn't that completely close off the bypass valve? Wouldn't that cause idle problems and surging like when you are at a car show and hear the rough idle and surging from the guy cruising around running a 6-71 or 8-71 on his BB Chevy. I believe the reason it is not welded completely is so that bypass air can escape around the edges. I think this causes a "tin canning effect" (I think BADASSO3SVT suggested this) to the plate that is far more detrimental than any harmonics (20" Hg of vacuum in one direction and 20 psi of boost pushing on the plate in the other). Maybe I missed the post where all of this was explained so I apologize for my ignorance, so please post a link that explains this in detail so it makes some sense.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Has anyone on here upgraded from a III, IV to a V with a torque plate and did Dyno comparisons? what's it worth? If the gains are minimal why doesn't this company discontinue the T-Plate on ALL Future Stage V Eatons? Is 5HP worth this Total S-Storm?

stangnutlx

Dreamin about Boobies
Established Member
Oh no man. I wasnt lynching at all. It was an honest question. You said you would be content with a new stage V. If you read the thread you would see why that isnt a very good option.

no worries bud!

black 10th vert

Established Member
OK, I have read all of this and have asked this question before, but what exactly does the plate do other than restrict the ability of the bypass valve to bypass the blower? It has been suggested that the plate be completely welded around it's circumference, wouldn't that completely close off the bypass valve? Wouldn't that cause idle problems and surging like when you are at a car show and hear the rough idle and surging from the guy cruising around running a 6-71 or 8-71 on his BB Chevy. I believe the reason it is not welded completely is so that bypass air can escape around the edges. I think this causes a "tin canning effect" (I think BADASSO3SVT suggested this) to the plate that is far more detrimental than any harmonics (20" Hg of vacuum in one direction and 20 psi of boost pushing on the plate in the other). Maybe I missed the post where all of this was explained so I apologize for my ignorance, so please post a link that explains this in detail so it makes some sense.

I think what you mention about the boost, and vacuum pushing/pulling on the plate makes a lot of sense. I wonder if instead of removing the plate altogether, Steig could start putting the hole over the bypass the way that Brian (Posi) did when he was experimenting with those plates? If there was a direct opening there, it might eliminate some of the fluttering that is likely occurring from the surging between boost/vacuum cycles. I think at the very least, it would be worthwhile for Steig to experiment with, if he decided to "stay the course" with the torque plates. Thoughts?

DCTHOM3

Established Member
I think what you mention about the boost, and vacuum pushing/pulling on the plate makes a lot of sense. I wonder if instead of removing the plate altogether, Steig could start putting the hole over the bypass the way that Brian (Posi) did when he was experimenting with those plates? If there was a direct opening there, it might eliminate some of the fluttering that is likely occurring from the surging between boost/vacuum cycles. I think at the very least, it would be worthwhile for Steig to experiment with, if he decided to "stay the course" with the torque plates. Thoughts?

In a recent thread posi showed pictures were the blower he had been experimenting with has begun to show some initiation of cracking as well. Clearly welding a plate in this area won't work. If I had a stage 5 I would cut the plate out. Not worth the risk in my book. I don't have a ported blower, just giving my opinion. Also the welds go through a lot of fatique (cyclic) loading from being in and out of boost. Welds are brittle and generally don't hold up to fatique loading very well.

black 10th vert

Established Member
In a recent thread posi showed pictures were the blower he had been experimenting with has begun to show some initiation of cracking as well. Clearly welding a plate in this area won't work. If I had a stage 5 I would cut the plate out. Not worth the risk in my book. I don't have a ported blower, just giving my opinion. Also the welds go through a lot of fatique (cyclic) loading from being in and out of boost. Welds are brittle and generally don't hold up to fatique loading very well.

I wonder if he welded in a stiffer cast, or machined billet piece, if that would help with the movement of the plate, since that seems to be causing the fatigue issue. If you take away the movement, then the welds themselves are no longer a structural component, but rather just a means of keeping the plate in place. I'm really convinced that even though welding sheet aluminum to a casting is not the best idea, it would likely work if there was no deflection in the plate.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I wonder if he welded in a stiffer cast, or machined billet piece, if that would help with the movement of the plate, since that seems to be causing the fatigue issue. If you take away the movement, then the welds themselves are no longer a structural component, but rather just a means of keeping the plate in place. I'm really convinced that even though welding sheet aluminum to a casting is not the best idea, it would likely work if there was no deflection in the plate.

I agree. Not a fan of welding these two materials either, but it does seem that deflection has the largest vote towards being the culprit.

-Jeff

DCTHOM3

Established Member
I agree. Not a fan of welding these two materials either, but it does seem that deflection has the largest vote towards being the culprit.

-Jeff

This is true but the real question is what are these plates worth? Posi saw no gain. If they are only worth 5-6hp that is probably close to being within the range of error for a dyno. We are talking about 1-2% difference on a 500hp car.
If the deflection could be controlled then yes the welds would not fail but a thicker plate with possible ribbing would need to be used and also welding the plate somewhere midspan like the bypass valve housing

Edit: The welds will still be a structural component but will not have to deal with the inplane rotations caused by the oscillating plate. Think about breaking a wire or paper clip you bend it back and forth a couple of times and it snaps. That is what the plate is doing to the welds when it oscillates

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread