Something to consider when the oil change topic happens here

El Jeffe

Established Member
what about Joe Gibbs Driven oil in DT High Zinc 50?
15W50 but they say it matches up specs with 5W50 requirements.
They tell me its a good match for the Boss requirements.
Check it out on drivenracingoil.com
Let me know what you think when you see the specs....they are available on their site.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
what about Joe Gibbs Driven oil in DT High Zinc 50?
15W50 but they say it matches up specs with 5W50 requirements.
They tell me its a good match for the Boss requirements.
Check it out on drivenracingoil.com
Let me know what you think when you see the specs....they are available on their site.

It would be a good match, only if 50 grade lubricants were in fact GOOD for the Boss 302. The lubricant is too viscous, a few Boss owners have come to me with complaints of excessive oil pressure using any 50 grade lubricants.

Some had to use 10W-30 true synthetic to get oil pressure in the safe zone.

Ford is not the best lead to follow with your high $$$$ engine.

Jroc

Established Member
Why is Ford using heavier weight oils than they use to? Old school engine oil used by the US automarkers tended to be a 20 or 30 weight.

Especially surprising when the automakers are trying to get the best MPG's they can which is the reason given as to why they started recommending, and using 5w20 in many of their vehicles 10/15 years back.

Would something like German Castrol or Mobil1 0w40 work well in the newer motors?

LindsayEOD

Established Member
This is one of the most informative and overall impressive threads I have ever seen. Thanks UB. I'm glad the my choice of Redline wasn't a bad one.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
This is one of the most informative and overall impressive threads I have ever seen. Thanks UB. I'm glad the my choice of Redline wasn't a bad one.

You are welcome, as I am always here to help members make wiser decisions about the abyss of engine lubricant choices.

Red Line formulates excellent lubricants, just make sure to get away from the 5W-50 Ford specification.

El Jeffe

Established Member
Unleashed....this is a great thread but being so long I forget now (and I want to save this info) what grade specifically and what oil manufacturers are you recommending for use in the Boss engine. Appreciate a brief recap from you on those points Thanks!

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Unleashed....this is a great thread but being so long I forget now (and I want to save this info) what grade specifically and what oil manufacturers are you recommending for use in the Boss engine. Appreciate a brief recap from you on those points Thanks!

Click all bold/underlined text for direct links to product.

Amsoil 10W-40 – Use this if you have the stock 192* thermostat, or you road race your car for extended sessions. This lubricant requires changing every 12 months or 15,000 miles, whichever occur first.

Amsoil 10W-30 – Use this if you have the Reisch 170* thermostat, and you do NOT road race your car. Street brawls and drag racing is OK with this lubricant. This lubricant requires changing every 12 months or 15,000 miles, whichever occur first.

Amsoil RD30 - alternate replacement for the best anti-wear protection for serious Roadrunners that are over 650-700 rwhp, using the 170* thermostat, and especially an E85 car. This lubricant requires changing every 6 months or 5,000 miles, whichever occur first.

Amsoil EaO17 oil filter - 98.7% efficiency @ 20 microns, yet still flow better than a Motorcraft FL-500S (only 93.7% efficiency @ 20 microns).

If you are having gear grinding issues with the MT-82

Amsoil Synchromesh - 2.75 quart fill

Bottle Hand Pump - fits quarts and gallons (makes refilling the transmission and rear differential very easy)

For your rear differential

Amsoil 75W-140 - 2.1 quart fill (I've found that 2 quarts + 4 ounces of friction modifier to be more than sufficient)

Friction modifier is required in the standard factory differential (Clutch pack diff). IF you have the Torsen, Slip Lock is NOT required. Use all 4 ounces

Amsoil Slip Lock - 1 bottle required in non-Torsen applications only.

and never pay retail price for it. Get it at dealer cost by adding this to your cart before you check out (save 25-30% on everything).

Preferred Customer

If anyone would like to participate in the Used Oil Analysis thread, here is the link.

UOA Thread

Last edited:

El Jeffe

Established Member
Perfect.....thanks so much. I will now be able to archive this for future use.
Appreciate all your research and investment.

El Jeffe

Established Member
Q...how does one learn which thermostat one has? Didnt know there were two different ones installed? My Boss is just plain stock.

Smileyboy

2V guy
Established Member
He is referring to the aftermarket thermostats. If its stock then you have the stock 192* thermostat. Some people, including myself, have installed a 170* thermostat.

El Jeffe

Established Member
UL Beast....so Amsoil is the ONLY oil that you'd recommend in the whole world of oils available?
Are you an Amsoil dealer?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Whats the reason for the lower 170 Degree Thermo might I ask?

Your engine has an integrated oil cooler that uses engine coolant to stabilize your oil pressure. Lowering the radiator coolant temperatures mean cooler (more viscous) oil. Using the 170* thermostat allows you to drop a grade in oil to check oil pressure in check.

UL Beast....so Amsoil is the ONLY oil that you'd recommend in the whole world of oils available?

No, Royal Purple HPS or XPR and Red Line are both great choices as well.

Are you an Amsoil dealer?

Yes, I give everyone access to Amsoil at cost (25% off internet shown price), that isn't a secret on SVT Performance.

It's hard to pay more for something else when you can get Amsoil @ cost, with proven UOA results.

WhiteKnite

Established Member
Motorcraft 5W-50 is inferior to other better choices on the market. Despite that....people still choose to use it. You have no idea how many people now use Amsoil 10W-40 in their Shelby and report more efficiency compared to Motorcraft.

If you are a Mobil 1 fan, I encourage you to use Mobil 10W-40, it's a true synthetic as well. It's also superior to Motorcraft 5W-50.

I was considering using Mobile 5W-50. Yes, I'm a Mobile 1 fan! :rockon:

Intense/CP

Taking Care of Business
Established Member
Are the rod and main bearing clearance larger on the Boss 302? Is there a downloadable engine manual?

Users who are viewing this thread