Something to consider when the oil change topic happens here

Grant808

Established Member
Damn, $125+ for oil analysis. Who wants to donate so I can get us some real life numbers haha.

And that data would be most useful if the used test was done too, which would be another $175! So it would be over $300 for both test plus postage and sample containers, etc. Plus the sample size required is pretty big at 150 ml or about 5 oz.

Jabooh1

Established Member
Looks like the kit is purchased from AMS and the testing is done by a site called eoilreports. Here is the kit http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...test-kit-ups-pre-paid/?GroupID=685&zo=1859448 only $34.00. If you look at the Used Oil Analysis thread in 2011-2014 or the Boss section you can see the type of report it produces.

My next track day may be July 18th. I ordered a pump (as to get a sample without draining oil) and 3 test kits. I plan on doing a Before, Middle, and After sample and only adding in enough oil as what was removed.

Grant808

Established Member
Sounds like the same 'ol test data that has little to do with track performance. The HT/HS spec we've been discussing is different.

Para81

Established Member
Me personally, I really like my warranty so I won't be deviating from what Ford recommends.

Swiss Boss

Established Member
Thanks Grant for finding a lab that will test HT/HS but it's a little expensive for my blood.
Plus it seems they've got good explanation how they test it. Didn't have time to read though.

As for the 10w40 on the track, I'll probably switch to the 20w50 as last Saturday my car overheat for the first time (250+CHT) and saw oil pressure as low as 60PSI @WOT. Still 25PSI @ idle when coming off track. Weather was like 85F and 80-90% humidity (Indiana)

Jabooh1

Established Member
Yeah I am ok with $35 per test. $125 is a little high. Also to get proper data you need multiple data point so before, mid, end. That's $375 or a really good tire. Granted if you could prove that your oil is ok for longer, you could recoup your money over a few oil changes.

Grant808

Established Member
Yeah a few hundred to test my oil is not going to happen :nono:

Yeah I am ok with $35 per test. $125 is a little high. Also to get proper data you need multiple data point so before, mid, end. That's $375 or a really good tire. Granted if you could prove that your oil is ok for longer, you could recoup your money over a few oil changes.

I agree guys. It would be way more than that to get the data from multiple brands and both the virgin and used data. To really mean anything, we'd have to test at least 4 or 5 different oils. Not really where I'd want to spend $300 to $1,500...of anybody's money.

Thanks Grant for finding a lab that will test HT/HS but it's a little expensive for my blood.
Plus it seems they've got good explanation how they test it. Didn't have time to read though.

As for the 10w40 on the track, I'll probably switch to the 20w50 as last Saturday my car overheat for the first time (250+CHT) and saw oil pressure as low as 60PSI @WOT. Still 25PSI @ idle when coming off track. Weather was like 85F and 80-90% humidity (Indiana)

Thanks for the data point. It'll be good to see your info with the 20w50, but I think that pretty much confirms my suspicions. Couple that with the limited wear metal data we have in terms of lead or iron ppm/mile or ppm/track hour... I'm sure people will still draw different conclusions.

Are you going to get another UOA on this fill of 10w-40?

Swiss Boss

Established Member
Thanks for the data point. It'll be good to see your info with the 20w50, but I think that pretty much confirms my suspicions. Couple that with the limited wear metal data we have in terms of lead or iron ppm/mile or ppm/track hour... I'm sure people will still draw different conclusions.

Are you going to get another UOA on this fill of 10w-40?

I'm not sure if I'll get one. That fill only have a couple of hundreds miles on it and 1 track day (2h). So it shouldn't show much.

I have another track day at the end of the month so hopefully it will be as hot and humid as my last one so I can see how the 20w50 will take the abuse.

venom4u

Unleashed, I have been reading your posts on many threads. You have done alot of research. I am sold on Amsoil..... That said I run a Hellion Twin Turbo compound boost setup GT500 of course. :) What would you recommend? I see three options 10w-40, 20w-50 or zrod 20w-50. I am ~750RWHP. Obviously with the TT i am running my oil hotter than most. If there is something else you recommend tell me. Thanks in advance.

Also not sure if it matter but I live in Texas. ie. HOT most of the time.

Last edited:

Grant808

Established Member
Just wanted to point out that the HTHS spec for the Castrol Edge says its 3.7 cP minimum. The Amsoil just says 4.3.

OP doesn't seem interested in answering this...

Find a lab like this that will test ASTM D4683 on your virgin sample and test again after you change the oil.
http://www.intertek.com/analytical-laboratories/viscosity/
On this price list $125 for a VOA and $175 for used testing:
http://www.savantlab.com/images/2011.Dec_-_Testing_Services_-_Alpha.pdf

Would be nice to get some real numbers.

Forgot the link to the lab with the price list.
http://www.savantlab.com/

UB,

If you're still going to try to prove your point, why don't YOU do a bunch of your own virgin and used HT/HS testing on your own dime.

If you're gonna call me out in other threads...you should put your money where your mouth is.

Looking forward to the results.

darreng505

Established Member

As they say "en Veritas vino".

People who want to ignore the spec oil for these cars and run a lower viscosity (despite shearing factors) and run on the track will risk engine failure.

There's more purpose in the oil than just shear rate.

lpheaven

Established Member
As they say "en Veritas vino".

People who want to ignore the spec oil for these cars and run a lower viscosity (despite shearing factors) and run on the track will risk engine failure.

There's more purpose in the oil than just shear rate.

bingo - were not launching the space shuttle here.
Do not try to run your favorite SAE 10W30 oil in the middle of summer in the California desert, and do not try to run an SAE 30 in a Minnesota winter just because it is a synthetic or "best of the best" . Consult your owner's manual for the manufacturer's recommendations; they have done the testing, and are in the best position to know what will give you the best protection and fuel economy.

Users who are viewing this thread