Something to consider when the oil change topic happens here

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
First of all I just wanted to say how much some of us appreciate you taking the time to post so much valuable data :rockon:
The only formulations that are 100% true synthetic from Mobil 1. Mobil 1 0W-30, 0W-40, 5W-40, 5W-50, 15W-50 Mobil 1 EP 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30
Where did you get this information just out of curiosity? I started this thread http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/terminator-talk-229/384704-mobil-1-debate-synthetic-not.html years back and at that time M1 base stock formulations seemed to be a closely guarded secret.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
First of all I just wanted to say how much some of us appreciate you taking the time to post so much valuable data :rockon:Where did you get this information just out of curiosity? I started this thread http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/terminator-talk-229/384704-mobil-1-debate-synthetic-not.html years back and at that time M1 base stock formulations seemed to be a closely guarded secret.

this information was given to me in secret disclosure from a former 13 year ExxonMobil employee I associate with frequently. Due to company cutbacks, he was forced to work the job of many people. His 40 hour work weeks turned into 60-70 hour weeks. After a year of this, he had enough and turned in his resignation with a two weeks notice. They fired him on the spot. They confiscated all of the closely guarded secrets on his laptop, but they couldn't erase his memory. He even refused to sign the anti-disclosure papers. Guess they should have given him his two weeks to prepare.

Mobil doesn't want the general consumer to know that most of their mainline formulations that carry the "synthetic" name are actually hydrocracked petroleum. It's sad these companies utilize a cheaper base stock, yet charge you a premium for it. At least with Amsoil, I know I am paying for what I am getting, no matter what level lubricant I am buying from them...OE, XL, or SS.

Last edited:

gfcobra04

Established Member
Premium Member
2000R motor

Ford says use Mobil 1 15W-50 in the 2000R motor & this viscosity is 100% synthetic correct. However you are saying we should not be using oil over 40. This is the only engine I have seen with a manufacturer suggested oil weight over 40.

The car is used for track events & not driven on the street & I know several people that track the 2000R exclusively. Would we be better off changing to Amsoil or Royal Purple 15w-40?
Thanks Gary.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Ford says use Mobil 1 15W-50 in the 2000R motor & this viscosity is 100% synthetic correct. However you are saying we should not be using oil over 40. This is the only engine I have seen with a manufacturer suggested oil weight over 40.

The car is used for track events & not driven on the street & I know several people that track the 2000R exclusively. Would we be better off changing to Amsoil or Royal Purple 15w-40?
Thanks Gary.

any true synthetic in the 10W-40 or 15W-40 would be fine for aggressive street use, and acceptable for on road racing when the car has cooling mods installed (170* Tstat, upgraded radiator, etc) It would be a good idea to monitor oil pressures on very long sessions.

I've seen guys racing on sheared Motorcraft 5W-50, and after draining was a 40 grade lubricant. They had no issues with it.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
You should give Royal Purple HPS 5w30 a try. I'd like to see how it compares.

Sid, I've been testing Amsoil 10W-30 in my Shelby for the past 1,700 miles. So far so good. I'm comfortable with this since I have a 170* thermostat and it keeps the oil cooler, more viscous.

When this UOA comes back well, this will confirm that Royal Purple 5W-30 HPS would also do well.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
turned in his resignation with a two weeks notice. They fired him on the spot.
Unfortunately that is becoming an all too common practice in corporate America today. Pretty funny that despite the fact Exxon Mobil continues to report excellent profits they still use the 'bad economy' excuse to lay off workers just to reduce expenses.

FWIW I've always felt that the Amsoil products are top shelf and I've been using them for years.

JB2012

Established Member
Beast, could you possibly clear something up for me? I've got a 2012 5.0, and Ford says to run a 5W-20. I drive my car daily, and plan to all winter long, which means lots of really cold starts (NH mornings regularly drop into single digits). A lot of the reading I've been doing, including most of the posts by that Ferrari guy, seem to indicate that a 0W-20 would be much better than the 5W-20. I even called up Redline to ask about recommendations, but they said to use their 5W-20 (which I suspect is for legal reasons).

My question is, based on your knowledge and experience, is there a reason I should stay away from the 0W-20? I'm looking at the Redline or Amsoil.

Thank you!

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Beast, could you possibly clear something up for me? I've got a 2012 5.0, and Ford says to run a 5W-20. I drive my car daily, and plan to all winter long, which means lots of really cold starts (NH mornings regularly drop into single digits). A lot of the reading I've been doing, including most of the posts by that Ferrari guy, seem to indicate that a 0W-20 would be much better than the 5W-20. I even called up Redline to ask about recommendations, but they said to use their 5W-20 (which I suspect is for legal reasons).

My question is, based on your knowledge and experience, is there a reason I should stay away from the 0W-20? I'm looking at the Redline or Amsoil.

Thank you!

There are many angles to approach this question. In overall performance, a "0W" lubricant of any grade will perform better than the "5W" version. There are times when I would prefer the "5W" version though, and two areas stand out above all others.

1. When I'm not using the car in temperatures under 32*F (0*C), there is no need to have the superior cold flow properties of a "0W" lubricant. Since I do not NEED that advantage, choosing the "5W" lubricant is a better choice in a modded high performance engine...and here is why.

a. "5W" lubricants will have a lower viscosity index number, this means less viscosity improver polymers were used in the formulation. VI polymers are what is used in an engine lubricant to make a less viscous fluid act like a thicker fluid at certain temperatures. Example, refined petroleum base stocks will choose a lighter grade base and add VI polymers to not allow it to thin past a 30 grade spec @ 212*F. The problem with this method is....VI polymers wear out and degrade. This is what we refer to as shearing. A lubricant with a lower Viscosity Index number will not perform as well in freezing temperatures, but will also be a lot more shear resistant. So, if you don't need a lubricant that performs better in freezing weather....I choose shear stability.​

b. "5W" lubricants will have lower NOACK Volatility % than a comparable "0W" variant. True synthetics have a lower NOACK than refined petroleum and conventional petroleum lubricants. Lower NOACK means less oil by mass will burn off/evaporate. Less burn off means less vaporized oil will end up condensing in your oil catch can, supercharger, intake manifold, intake valves, and combustion chambers. This is a huge plus to keep your engine clean. Owners who use a lubricant with half the NOACK will report much less oil collection in all of the areas mentioned.​

2. Now, on to the really in depth stuff, but actually is a recap. I do not endorse the use of 5W-20 or 0W-20 lubricants in the Ford modular. This spec was only adopted due to CAFE laws, and despite what others would try to make you believe....will not protect your Ford Modular as well as a robust 30 grade lubricant. Even a former durability engineer confirmed this, and said he would never use less than a 30 grade. If you are insistent to use a 5W or 0W-20....please only use a true synthetic like Amsoil or Red Line. Heck, even Mobil 1 EP 5W-20. Read the link below to read more into why I would use a 30 grade lubricant, more about CAFE laws, and the advantages of using a true synthetic lubricant.

Team Shelby" Why 10W-30? Read post #30 and #31

Last edited:

shadyninja

Been There, Wrecked That
Established Member
2 things to add to this thread,

found a premium oil filter that fits the Boss

6d5a4853.jpg

2 going to see what shape motorcraft 5w50 is in after 3900 miles

57a43944.jpg

stay tuned!

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Thanks for the reminder Shady. Yes, Amsoil recently released an oil filter for the Coyote and Road Runner engines.

Amsoil EaO17

Can't wait to see the oil sample, and add it to the UOA chart. I will start a new chart for Boss and 5.0 cars only.

shadyninja

Been There, Wrecked That
Established Member
I been so busy, just got back from Vegas , haven't had time to send the sample off yet :(
but I have the stock oil filter and will cut it open for you. :)

shadyninja

Been There, Wrecked That
Established Member
the used stock one I will.
I'll cut open that Amsoil one if you replace it :)

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
It's been two long years of testing 5W-50 lubricants. Long story short, they all FAIL.

You can see at the very end of the first post.....I updated the UOA spreadsheets. Every 5W-50 product has to make a compromise in the formulation.

El Jeffe

Established Member
Whats your thoughts on the Amsoil 20W50 Z-Rod vs the AMO 10w40 grade you have so extensively tested. Would the higher visc and zinc wear components be a good fit for the Boss Engine? Interested to hear your opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread