Something I wish I knew about the 2.3 tvs

Blueline

Established Member
Its your car and your money, but something def. does not sound right. I would confirm whatever the issue is before replacing anything, especially the blower. I would just want to know for piece of mind whats wrong with what. Your tuner was adamant belt slip was not an issue in your original post, just curious what changed. My TVS with a 2.8 and stock lower will be hitting the rollers soon so Im def. watching this thread. In whatever you choose, good luck!

Benz_tech

Kinda Lost
Established Member
^ maybe so, but the slip hasn't occurred long enough to have any damage. Once it starts
To slip at 5200 the throttle is let off and the rpm is below 6k. So it's not like your usual belt
Slip where your car is already been tuned and you are opening the hood after racing it a bunch.
This has been seen on the dyno by a few people all confirming belt slip. The owner of the company openly
Admits belt slip will happen with that pulley on a stock motor, no headers, at sea level. I think we are trying to
Ignore the smoking gun here. If problems persist with my kb that I'm going to get, I'll be sure to let you
Guys know that the problem most likely had to do with my motor rather than the tvs 2.3
But in the mean time I'm going to romp around on this 3.0 for a bit, lose a bunch of races, and hop onto
The kenne bell train. I ordered some gator backs, I'll try them out while data logging with Lund,
But Lund seems to be convinced too that there is not much that can be done.

Benz_tech

Kinda Lost
Established Member
The pulley requires a 73.2-73.5 inch belt, I ordered a 73.0 inch belt. If I can make it fit,
Does anyone know if there are problems from being "too tight"?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Why not put the slits in the blower pulley like the Billetflow pulley I posted? It would cure your belt slip.

Vr4me

Senior Lurker
Established Member
I had the same problem with the same tensioner and my tuner said the same thing.

Please see my previous post!

gabe1530

Banned
with 2.3l blowers youd be fine with an uncaged lower. once you get into your bigger blowers thats when they become a problem.

Benz_tech

Kinda Lost
Established Member
Vr4me, the stock tensioner was ok and within the middle of the marks. But for peace of mind and trouble
Shooting, we decided to replace the stock tensioner with a thumper, Lund thought it was a good idea too. With the right size belt and the thumper, it's not sitting on any stops.

Check out this:
http://vmptuning.com/superchargers/cobratvs/

When looking at the description, check out the boost chart.
It says 19 and up is for stroker and cammed vehicle only.
I think all prospective buyers should see this.

Benz_tech

Kinda Lost
Established Member
Malcomv8, I bet it will work, I'm also worries that it may eat the belt to shreads if it's not
Engineered like that from the factory. I can be damaging the overall
Design strength. It could work, I'm just not a fan of modifying a component like that yet.

Blueline

Established Member
Vr4me, the stock tensioner was ok and within the middle of the marks. But for peace of mind and trouble
Shooting, we decided to replace the stock tensioner with a thumper, Lund thought it was a good idea too. With the right size belt and the thumper, it's not sitting on any stops.

Check out this:
http://vmptuning.com/superchargers/cobratvs/

When looking at the description, check out the boost chart.
It says 19 and up is for stroker and cammed vehicle only.
I think all prospective buyers should see this.

Thats "Stroked and cammed vehicles only" if for cars running a 4lb lower and the 2.6 upper, unless Im reading that wrong :shrug:

Can you possibly take a few pics of your vac lines coming to the boost bypass and behind the blower?

Benz_tech

Kinda Lost
Established Member
I pick the car up tommorow night I can take pics then. I for the life of me can't get pictures to work on here. If you message me your numbers, I can text pictures and video

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Malcomv8, I bet it will work, I'm also worries that it may eat the belt to shreads if it's not
Engineered like that from the factory. I can be damaging the overall
Design strength. It could work, I'm just not a fan of modifying a component like that yet.

I had to change my belt about every 2 years or it would shred. I then started changing it once a season just to be sure I'd never shred another. Takes a long time to damage the belt. Just putting it out there for you as an option.

Blueline

Established Member
I pick the car up tommorow night I can take pics then. I for the life of me can't get pictures to work on here. If you message me your numbers, I can text pictures and video

Did you look at the chart again? Thats for 4lb. lowers and the smaller upper pullies. If you look at the dyno charts posted on that same page you will see the boost stays up until the pull ends. I really feel something else is going on, Im just trying to help so please dont take this as I am counting out the blower, just trying to look at everything. The blower could be bleeding off internally :shrug: Im sure others who are much smarter than me will chime in

Vr4me

Senior Lurker
Established Member
If you rev the car hard does it hit the stop? I'm running a 2.8 / 6lb setup now so it's certainly capable of hitting and holding more even with a 2.6

Benz_tech

Kinda Lost
Established Member
I see I read that chart incorrectly, that's good to know! If it was bleeding off internally where does the pressure go? Does air slip out from the rotor pack and the case and spill in between the rotors? I don't really know
How to diagnose that other than oil seepage, which there is none
As of now. I haven't just dry revved the car in neutral hard. Everything has
Been done on the dyno so far, but as of now I don't have the luxury
To inspect what's going to at wot. I can get on another dyno closer to me
Maybe this weekend to trouble shoot.

Blueline

Established Member
I see I read that chart incorrectly, that's good to know! If it was bleeding off internally where does the pressure go? Does air slip out from the rotor pack and the case and spill in between the rotors? I don't really know
How to diagnose that other than oil seepage, which there is none
As of now. I haven't just dry revved the car in neutral hard. Everything has
Been done on the dyno so far, but as of now I don't have the luxury
To inspect what's going to at wot. I can get on another dyno closer to me
Maybe this weekend to trouble shoot.

Im really interested in seeing your vac/boost line routing. Do you have pics of the blower before you installed it, which captured the boost bypass flap inside the blower and the valve itself prior to install? Did you do the install or did you have someone else install it?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Im really interested in seeing your vac/boost line routing. Do you have pics of the blower before you installed it, which captured the boost bypass flap inside the blower and the valve itself prior to install? Did you do the install or did you have someone else install it?

Lol. see above Tony.

Benz_tech

Kinda Lost
Established Member
I do have prior pics, but none with the specific sides you are looking for. The car was tuned once in October already with the 3.0 pulley. It tuned and ran fine, since then with only about 1000 miles put on it, though I have barely got into boost with it yet because
I was only on a kb bap and 91. I wasn't comfortable with a 100% fpdc, so I switched
To e85 return set up and a 2.6 pulley and a belt from vmp for the pulley. Supercharger has not
Been removed since then and only has this boost problem with a 2.6, have not yet tried
A 2.8. I have considered ordering a 2.8 but that's another 90$ and another belt. I'm getting tired as one might say.

Users who are viewing this thread