So, I did the Bronco thing

Diablo Mike

Trinity Guy
Authorized Vendor
Awesome Bronco.

Buddy had a 5.8L 96 F250 back then and we did a Cobra intake swap on it (351 GT40 lower/cobra upper/75mm TB) and I cant begin to describe the change it made in that truck. It gained power everywhere and just letting it breathe was worth the effort.

Enjoy!

TORQUERULES

Established Member
I had a 1990 F-150 with a 5.0 and we rewired the injector harness to allow sequential injection (that year was still batch fire) and added a Mustang A9L computer with MAF. Put GT-40 heads on it, an Edelbrock intake, 1.7 roller rockers, 65mm tb, 30lb injectors, and a stock 1987 Mustang roller cam (all stuff we had laying around), ditched the AOD and put in a C4. You would be amazed with how well it ran. Embarrassed a lot of tucks and cars with it. Of course trucks did not weigh 8000lbs then, so it ran well.

andymarkv

Established Member
What did you guys do for tuning with the engine mods on OBS F-series trucks....?

The OP's truck being a '96 should be a factory MAF truck. That would open up a lot of opportunities for engine mods/potential tuning.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
What did you guys do for tuning with the engine mods on OBS F-series trucks....?

The OP's truck being a '96 should be a factory MAF truck. That would open up a lot of opportunities for engine mods/potential tuning.

I believe some 95s have it, and all 96s have it.

Diablo Mike

Trinity Guy
Authorized Vendor

It just worked on the 5.8 F250. I truly can’t recall if it was MAF or SD. No tuning though. Turned the distributor thingy a little bit, lol.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I had a new capacitor soldered on today at work. Going to hook it up when I get home and see if it works.

I also went ahead and ordered a Red-head steering box, my mechanic friend said mine definitely has some play. I was considering order a new steering shaft as well from here: 1992-1997 Borgeson Steering Shaft, Double U-Joint-Broncograveyard.com

Some people have had less than stellar customer service with BGY. I ordered from them once probably a decade ago and didn't have any issues, just be mindful they have a "meh" reputation on fsb.com

Do the OBS trucks respond to the same mods that the 5.0 Foxbodys did?
Run 93, pull the SPOUT connector & add 2-3 degrees of timing.(I've checked a couple of trucks back in the day and they were fairly retarded from the factory)
Is there an air silencer in the intake you can remove?
I doubt it does much...but it made my '88 notch FEEL quicker back in the day!

I think the hardest thing with older trucks is we've become so jaded with all V8's having around 400hp today...

This was/is indeed a thing with OBS trucks. My 5.8 bronco, IIRC factory timing was supposed to be set at 10 and mine was actually 9. Of course the distributors like to get stuck to the intake manifold so I never got to advance mine.

Is this the guy for the headlights?

It might be, I remember his site was "bajahid.com" which is now dead. It looks like they use all the right parts, the only thing I'd suggest doing is ticking off the 65 dollar upgrade to use morimoto bulbs/ballasts instead of generic aliexpress specials the standard setup uses. The morimoto stuff is still made in china but they at least have quality control and a warranty, same can't be said for the generic stuff.

If you think you want to try it yourself (like I did), here is my retrofit thread from way back in 2011. The projectors have only improved in quality (I had a gen 3 MH1, they're on gen 8 now) but the process is basically the same

This was the first set I'd ever built

Last edited:

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
Been a busy week!

Bronco got lots done.

Motorcraft plugs and wires
New thermostat and coolant flush
New transmission filter and fluid flush
Front and rear diff fluid flush
3M kit on the headlights
New front grill, passenger and driver mirrors
New door, window and tailgate seals
New glass in driver and passenger doors
New clips on door panels
New 6.5" front speakers and dynamat
Dynamat on tailgate
Fixed driver and passenger door power button mounts (used OBS kits)
Fixed overhead console temp and compass display (solder new capacitor)
New window vent handles
New dash vents

Got my redhead steering box, hoping to put it in this upcoming weekend.

Some of the old seals were so old and cracked that they had scratched the glass.

20220304_115038.jpg

20220304_135701.jpg

20220304_140634.jpg

20220304_151437.jpg

20220304_150530.jpg

Last edited:

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
Found a few other thing wrong I need to address:

1. Cracked header panel. Found this when replacing the grill. Guessing someone hit a dear and didn't bother to replace it.

20220304_083224.jpg

2. Need to weld the tailgate. Under the corner seals, the passenger side has separated, and the driver side isn't far from doing the same.

20220304_140816.jpg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
These restoration, fix-up threads are so interesting and fun to follow. There is nothing much better than watching a vehicle being brought back to a better life. Almost like watching an artist painting on a canvas.

andymarkv

Established Member
Very nice!! All these "small" things will definitely bring it to the next level!
I've polished tail lights before with great results...but they always seem to fade pretty quickly, replacing them was definitely a better route!

My only disappointment...you didn't stick a shift kit in it while you had the trans pan off!!! lol, you can always do it later if needed.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The new tail lights look good. I'm looking forward to seeing photos of the entire vehicle once the updates/repairs are complete. It should look really good!!

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
Very nice!! All these "small" things will definitely bring it to the next level!
I've polished tail lights before with great results...but they always seem to fade pretty quickly, replacing them was definitely a better route!

My only disappointment...you didn't stick a shift kit in it while you had the trans pan off!!! lol, you can always do it later if needed.

I may do that next time I send it back to the shop for service. I still like the idea of using one, I had one in my 01 Lightning back in the day.

FineLineMtrSprt

I like bacon!
Established Member
I've had 2 fullsize Bronco's and was going to order a new one...WAS. Got tired of waiting for stock at dealers to actually happen so bought the wife a Explorer ST. Then decided I needed a toy and picked up a 2006 Trailblazer SS...I couldnt find a older bronco in good shape under 25-30k bucks. Now I feel like I should have waited lol. Oh well maybe ill sell my 25k mile TBSS in 6-12months and look for another bronco.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I've had 2 fullsize Bronco's and was going to order a new one...WAS. Got tired of waiting for stock at dealers to actually happen so bought the wife a Explorer ST. Then decided I needed a toy and picked up a 2006 Trailblazer SS...I couldnt find a older bronco in good shape under 25-30k bucks. Now I feel like I should have waited lol. Oh well maybe ill sell my 25k mile TBSS in 6-12months and look for another bronco.

You're not going to find a ton of TBSSs out there in decent shape either.

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member

Prices have really gotten crazy on them. Good ones for a reasonable price are hard to locate now.

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
Installed a Redhead steering box on Friday, what a difference it made compared the 26 year old steering box! When I turn the steering wheel, the Bronco actually turns now :D

We took it to a car show on Saturday, it drew a lot more attention than we were expecting.

Redhead steering box.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread