Single turbo or Vortech

CPRsm

yeah, nearly 3 years in and turbo's still haven't been able to surpass the paxton / vortech's as far as e.t.'s :)
Ah that's just a matter of time. ;-) But we can't compare potential HP by timeframe of release of a quality kit. :coolman:

I saw a hellion twin turbo make 1,249 rear wheel horsepower at 23.9 psi
I'd do the math on the rwhp capability of an 80lb injector.

Deespeed99

Established Member
I had the Hellion kit and IMO it was garbage. I have a Paxton now and it's awesome! Do some searching on it and also look at how many Hellion kits are being sold not long after the purchase. If you do get the Hellion upgrade to the 76mm turbo without question. The 67mm shouldn't even come with the kit.

I don't know why you and many others hate on that kit so much. Simply say it was not for you or you didn't like it but to call it garbage is BS and skews the thought of many who want it or consider getting it. I recently installed it and had ZERO fitment issues. No rubbing on the tire, no k-member rubbing issues, didn't have to trim the bumper for the turbo, filter OR intercooler, nothing. What I will say is that I swapped out 2 or 3 of the clamps for better band clamps to fix some minor exhaust leaks but that's the only problem I had which is minor to me and cost less then 15 to fix...It's a quality made kit but it definitely takes having access to a shop to install to get all the piping and fitment correct. As for the power issues, I still haven't found enough data to back what you're saying. The dyno's I have seen have been with stock intakes and that's a big limiting factor so that is part of the power drop off issue. You have to look at exhaust setups as well.

I personally like turbos so I would say single IF you have access to a good tuner but if you don't go with a twin or supercharger.

Last edited:

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
Ah that's just a matter of time. ;-) But we can't compare potential HP by timeframe of release of a quality kit. :coolman:

I'd do the math on the rwhp capability of an 80lb injector.

Yeah they had a 105lb injector and a full fuel system. Not just 80's

KBSVTCOBRA

Banned
I don't know why you and many others hate on that kit so much. Simply say it was not for you or you didn't like it but to call it garbage is BS and skews the thought of many who want it or consider getting it. I recently installed it and had ZERO fitment issues. No rubbing on the tire, no k-member rubbing issues, didn't have to trim the bumper for the turbo, filter OR intercooler, nothing...It's a quality made kit but it definitely takes having access to a shop to install to get all the piping and fitment correct.

I personally like turbos so I would say single IF you have access to a good tuner but if you don't go with a twin or supercharger.

U know there's always that problem some like it some don't , the only thing I don't like is that the turbo is behind the bumper

Deespeed99

Established Member
U know there's always that problem some like it some don't , the only thing I don't like is that the turbo is behind the bumper

I definitely agree that some will like something and others won't but he and a few others have made this kit out to be straight garbage when it's not true. I actually almost didn't consider buying it because of feedback from him and a few others but figured I have access to my friends shop so I'll give it a go.

There are definitely other options for single setups if you don't like it in the bumper but don't just throw the idea of a single turbo setup out the window...I'll post up a full review and power numbers in a week or 2 once I get it tuned, I don't expect ground breaking numbers but I love the TQ and TQ curve of turbos so I'll be happy there.

KBSVTCOBRA

Banned
I definitely agree that some will like something and others won't but he and a few others have made this kit out to be straight garbage when it's not true. I actually almost didn't consider buying it because of feedback from him and a few others but figured I have access to my friends shop so I'll give it a go.

There are definitely other options for single setups if you don't like it in the bumper but don't just throw the idea of a single turbo setup out the window...I'll post up a full review and power numbers in a week or 2 once I get it tuned, I don't expect ground breaking numbers but I love the TQ and TQ curve of turbos so I'll be happy there.

I can deal with the turbo behind the bumper I really don't care, and just like u I know a turbo will put out more tq than any supercharger and still u can get more mpg with a turbo than with a supercharger and that's a + in my book, but I don't know if the single kit will make more than 1000 to the wheels without that much turbo lag , as u would get with the hellion twin turbo setup, I think it all depends on how much power u wanna put to the pavement lol

stang910

Established Member
I don't know why you and many others hate on that kit so much. Simply say it was not for you or you didn't like it but to call it garbage is BS and skews the thought of many who want it or consider getting it. I recently installed it and had ZERO fitment issues. No rubbing on the tire, no k-member rubbing issues, didn't have to trim the bumper for the turbo, filter OR intercooler, nothing. What I will say is that I swapped out 2 or 3 of the clamps for better band clamps to fix some minor exhaust leaks but that's the only problem I had which is minor to me and cost less then 15 to fix...It's a quality made kit but it definitely takes having access to a shop to install to get all the piping and fitment correct. As for the power issues, I still haven't found enough data to back what you're saying. The dyno's I have seen have been with stock intakes and that's a big limiting factor so that is part of the power drop off issue. You have to look at exhaust setups as well.

My kit fit well and didn't rub the tire or the k member. I didn't like that the turbo is mounted to the frame which causes unnessacary NVH. When the engine torques and the turbo remains staionary, don't you think eventually you'll run into exhaust leaks or even rubbing? Right off the manifolds the exhaust is 2-1/2" then drops to 2-1/8" on the drivers side and this is on a car that comes with 2-3/4" exhaust right from the factory. Also this car relys heavily on the widebands to command the correct AFR so with the wideband before the turbo it will never read correctly. Can you tune around it? Yes, is it correct? Short answer no.

Performance wise the kit is lacking. I've had a few high HP car in the past so I know what to expect. I can't speak for the 76mm turbo on this since I had the 67mm. At 6psi there nothing to really notice, except the exhaust sounds like an old Chevy truck with glasspacks. Turn the boost up to say 10 and you can feel the car doesn't make power past 6000rpm. Take it to 7000rpm and you'll feel the car studder along with a CEL. It'll be a misfire code from valve float and that'll explain the studder. The car doesn't make power past 6000rpm cause of the backpressure not the stock intake. Just look at some centri dyno graphs and twin turbo dyno graphs with the stock intake and then compare the torque to the single kit with any intake. Pay attention to the the RPMs and how hard the torque falls off on the singe kit. I bet you have a hard time even finding a dyno graph of a full pull. Most dyno graphs I've seen are in MPH at the bottom and don't even show the RPM. Why? To hide what I just described.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
vortech YSI

/thread

the trick is spinning the ysi high enough to really take advanatage of it on this car, right now the jt/paxton 2200 oil fed units are perfectly matched for the stock balancer.

not to say we don't have a fix in the works to take advanatage of the YSI! :)

Bloo

Established Member
Aren't most single kits selling for like 7k? Might as-well go TT at that point...

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
DOnt stone me for this guys. OP, you can always look into the On3performance twin turbo kit. They just started shipping this kit out last week and have nearly a year in RD on this kit. Kit retails for $4100 shipped with the MAF kit that is required.

*We all know the turbos, BOV, and WG's are not top shelf.* I am not starting a debate about the quality of the parts in this kit as NO ONE KNOWS at this point. But OP, if you want twins, even if you have to upgrade and change some things, this kit is a decent option.

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
Just a little info on what we offer in our turbo kit.
JPC Racing 2011-up 5.0 Mustang Single Turbo System - Justin's Performance Center

We've got over a year in R&D into this kit with hundreds of hours of dyno, track, and street testing. Included in the kit is all high quality components including a Precision Turbo, Precision Wastegate, Tial Blow off valve and one of the nicest inter cooler core's available on the market today. This kit can make over 1000rwhp out of the box without any changes needed.

JPC - Al Davis 2011 Mustang GT w/ JPC Turbo Kit @ MIR - YouTube

9 Second Pass -
Al's 9 sec Pass - YouTube

D.T.R

Established Member
The turbo setups (single or twin) make more torque all over the power band.
If money isn't an issue, i'd much rather go twins than blower ... just a personal opinion.
A local guy, with a hellion kit, 6.5psi (off the gates, no boost controller used) just went 10.15@139.

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
The turbo setups (single or twin) make more torque all over the power band.
If money isn't an issue, i'd much rather go twins than blower ... just a personal opinion.
A local guy, with a hellion kit, 6.5psi (off the gates, no boost controller used) just went 10.15@139.

Holy shit really? I need to get my car to the track then lol. I'm guessing it was an auto car?

D.T.R

Established Member
Holy shit really? I need to get my car to the track then lol. I'm guessing it was an auto car?

Nope. M6. Slicks, skinnies, TB, boss 302 manifold, driveshaft, 3.55 gear and suspension mods. Hellion TT on wastegate boost (6.5 psi~). Leaving the line around 7k RPMs. He also went 11.4 on motor with a couple of bolt ons.
That's pretty much what I'm doing also, besides built motor and more boost. (and 3.31 gear)

Last edited:

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
Nope. M6. Slicks, skinnies, TB, boss 302 manifold, driveshaft, 3.55 gear and suspension mods. Hellion TT on wastegate boost (6.5 psi~). Leaving the line around 7k RPMs. He also went 11.4 on motor with a couple of bolt ons.
That's pretty much what I'm doing also, besides built motor and more boost. (and 3.31 gear)

Damn very nice! 7k launch!! He's driving the shit out of that thing. Is that a MT-82 record? I'm still contemplating the boss intake for my setup. I have a local who wants to sell me his actually. I have 3:31 gears right now that came from the factory. Do you know what power he's putting down?

D.T.R

Established Member
He doesn't have a BAP... made 629whp off the waste gates (6.5psi) and 689whp at 5500rpms at 9psi and it leans out without a BAP so he can't run the 9psi tune until a BAP.

Those numbers/times are on pump 93 also.

Last edited:

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
Damn. Good numbers. I wonder how much the boss intake would pick me up HP wise since I'm boosted. Seems like a lot of people run the boss intake with turbos or centri's I made 586whp at 5.5 psi. I wonder if the boss manifold would get me over 600whp with just that change and nothing else.

Users who are viewing this thread