Single turbo or Vortech

D.T.R

Established Member
Damn. Good numbers. I wonder how much the boss intake would pick me up HP wise since I'm boosted. Seems like a lot of people run the boss intake with turbos or centri's I made 586whp at 5.5 psi. I wonder if the boss manifold would get me over 600whp with just that change and nothing else.

What tq you made?

I already got boss 302 valve springs, MMR billet oil pump gears, and getting the boss 302 intake manifold... planning on revving close to 8k rpms.

D.T.R

Established Member
Damn... that's a lot more than what centri blowers make around that same WHP you made.

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
Damn... that's a lot more than what centri blowers make around that same WHP you made.

Yeah about a 100 more ft lbs lol I use to have a procharger p1sc on the car and I was only making about 440tq at 7 psi now I'm 1.5 psi less and making about 50 More whp and 100tq. It's awesome and completely silent under the hood.

D.T.R

Established Member
Yeah about a 100 more ft lbs lol I use to have a procharger p1sc on the car and I was only making about 440tq at 7 psi now I'm 1.5 psi less and making about 50 More whp and 100tq. It's awesome and completely silent under the hood.

win :D

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
Damn very nice! 7k launch!! He's driving the shit out of that thing. Is that a MT-82 record? I'm still contemplating the boss intake for my setup. I have a local who wants to sell me his actually. I have 3:31 gears right now that came from the factory. Do you know what power he's putting down?

I think that is a new MT82 record! 10.20 was the fastest I had heard of prior.

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
torque torque blah blah

Horsepower wins races......

Again some of us like street cars with good TQ on low boost. It's not all about the track lol

Even so, any level boost from a centri blower to turbo, the turbo will usually win the HP game. Now that we have DTR saying a local guy went 10.1 at only 6.5 psi. (I would Still would like to see the slip or video) I've yet to see a centri car do that without being on double the boost.
Didn't jpc have to run 15 psi on a paxton and race gas with an auto to run 9.9? Which is still incredible! I'm just going off of efficiency of a turbo to a centri setup.

Last edited:

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Again some of us like street cars with good TQ on low boost. It's not all about the track lol

Even so, any level boost from a centri blower to turbo, the turbo will usually win the HP game. Now that we have DTR saying a local guy went 10.1 at only 6.5 psi. (I would Still would like to see the slip or video) I've yet to see a centri car do that without being on double the boost.
Didn't jpc have to run 15 psi on a paxton and race gas with an auto to run 9.9?

Boost is all relative to the supporting mods as well.

I've seen stock pullied vortech's and paxtons run 10 teens as well.

And the whole "more torque" on a street car really doesn't play out on these cars.

They all ready make good power and good torque. Any supercharger compliments them well.

The centrificals though, rule the track. And, if they rule the track, who do you think is going to rule the street?

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
Boost is all relative to the supporting mods as well.

I've seen stock pullied vortech's and paxtons run 10 teens as well.

And the whole "more torque" on a street car really doesn't play out on these cars.

They all ready make good power and good torque. Any supercharger compliments them well.

The centrificals though, rule the track. And, if they rule the track, who do you think is going to rule the street?

How does the TQ not play out? My car is so much faster now with the twin kit on less boost and makes a lot more TQ then when I had my centri. It does add up to me because 550tq feels way stronger then mid 400's.

Turbos compliment these motors really well also.

Yes your car is fast but you are a centri pusher and that how you make your side money. So anything us turbo guys say is going to be shot down by you. lol

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Haha lol beefcake, i like your style haha.

I've beat cars with 100-200whp more on my 6~ psi "economy tune" it's lean and mean for highway cruising but safe enough to rally on. A modest 575-590-575 whp from 4900-6750rpms but it makes 550-620wtq-500wtq from 2500-6500rpms rpms hehehe. It's hard to see it on the dyno but on the streets I can see 6psi by 1900rpms if I am in it from 1700 for a brief stint.

The combo literally feels like a big block even at 1800rpms in 5th at 70 (viper .74/.50 overdrives and a 3.08 for traction and unexpectedly good mpg, it even has decent pull at 1350rpms in 6ths at 70 but I never go wot below 1750 for safety)

Anyways, point being I've rallied on cars making 700whp on that tune (procharged c5 vette and srt8 challenger, kb gt500, etc) my car is making uncorrected numbers though and we're at 4500ft, that said though, a big reason why I love turbos so much is because they are so much better at counteracting altitude than any other power adder. Coupled with the sounds, mpg, and bad ass designation, they always win epicly for me so long as they are plumbed right and properly sized.

Cheers to everybody though, there's no such thing as slow 5.0 modulars, stock they're in the 12's easy, bolt ons gets them in the 11's, pd and centris put them in the 10's and 9's easy, and with traction, centris and turbos can get them in the mid to low 9's and even 8's pretty easy. Any adder, even pd blowers can get them in the 9's easily enough with proper supporting mods.

I know there's an auto 3900lbs 5.0 running twins going 8.80's last I heard, on the factory 6spd auto with a stall and minor mods no less! Crazy potential and awesome cars all around.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I'm not running a turbo 5.0 coyote, just an old school non vvt-ti 9.2/1 5.4 with 03 cobra heads and cams.

If I had all of my mods from the dual in dual out custom turbo setup on a Sullivan, to the boost-a-spark, cutouts, tuning, 3.08 rear, built t56 etc on a 5.0 coyote running factory compression (10.7 I believe) I'd make even more power and torque everywhere in the graph considering the compression and very exploitable vvt-ti heads.

I plan to put a built 5.3-5.5L fully built coyote with vvt-ti in my car once the 5.4 starts to let go. Awesome motors.

Nasty5ohhh

Established Member
The turbo setups (single or twin) make more torque all over the power band.
If money isn't an issue, i'd much rather go twins than blower ... just a personal opinion.
A local guy, with a hellion kit, 6.5psi (off the gates, no boost controller used) just went 10.15@139.

That's a fast trap for that low of boost. Any vids or a time slip?

D.T.R

Established Member
That's a fast trap for that low of boost. Any vids or a time slip?

I agree...
I don't have it, but the source is legit. Tony G here at Tuners inc spent a lot of time tuning and working on that car. He might have the slip. I will do some research and try to find the slip. I don't know the guy... I've just seen the car around, seen it at dyno days, and hear what it ran from the person that tuned the car himself, along with what everyone else talked about after the fact. It's one of those "OMG, did you see what such and such ran at SGMP last week?" around here at the moment.

Last edited:

machman

04 SVT COBRA
Established Member
got my 2013 gt in the shop right now getting the hellion twin kit installed getting nervous reading all this lol hopefully it performs like im hoping, i know i could of saved alot of money going the blower rout,

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
got my 2013 gt in the shop right now getting the hellion twin kit installed getting nervous reading all this lol hopefully it performs like im hoping, i know i could of saved alot of money going the blower rout,

Why are you getting nervous?

Deespeed99

Established Member
My kit fit well and didn't rub the tire or the k member. I didn't like that the turbo is mounted to the frame which causes unnessacary NVH. When the engine torques and the turbo remains staionary, don't you think eventually you'll run into exhaust leaks or even rubbing? maybe the way the kit is setup yes but i welded a few pipes to help limit that possibility but you are right it could be an issueRight off the manifolds the exhaust is 2-1/2" then drops to 2-1/8" on the drivers side and this is on a car that comes with 2-3/4" exhaust right from the factory. Also this car relys heavily on the widebands to command the correct AFR so with the wideband before the turbo it will never read correctly. Can you tune around it? Yes, is it correct? Short answer no. ive been doing a lot of research on this particular subject and its actually not that hard to tune pre-turbo if you have the calibration chart for the O2 sensor so you can make the compensation adjustments. It definitely is far more work then needed though.

Performance wise the kit is lacking. I've had a few high HP car in the past so I know what to expect. I can't speak for the 76mm turbo on this since I had the 67mm. At 6psi there nothing to really notice, except the exhaust sounds like an old Chevy truck with glasspacks. if you dont mind me asking what was your exhaust setup & timing? I would think 540-550 on 6psi is decent for a 67mm setup & Turn the boost up to say 10 and you can feel the car doesn't make power past 6000rpm.i find this hard to believe as the graphs ive seen make power to 6000 and up to 6500 where it stays linear Take it to 7000rpm and you'll feel the car studder along with a CEL. It'll be a misfire code from valve float and that'll explain the studder. The car doesn't make power past 6000rpm cause of the backpressure not the stock intake. Just look at some centri dyno graphs and twin turbo dyno graphs with the stock intake and then compare the torque to the single kit with any intake. Pay attention to the the RPMs and how hard the torque falls off on the singe kit. I bet you have a hard time even finding a dyno graph of a full pull. Most dyno graphs I've seen are in MPH at the bottom and don't even show the RPM. Why? To hide what I just described.i really dont see a need to rev up to and above 7000 rpm with a single kit but thats a personal opinion, if i were to fo thst i would get the 76mm amf a boss intake and im sure there wouldnt be a drop off but thats all hearsay as no one has done it.

See my comments in bold. We agree to disagree, haha.

Users who are viewing this thread