• 03/04

Votes: 90 62.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
No offense man but you must be in a small town if a stock 01 is near the top of the food chain.....I'm just trying to keep up around here and Charleston isn't even that big....

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
There's always somebody faster out there. If you want to be king of the V8 hill (and like Fords)...buy an older Fox or SN-95 bodied Mustang for squat (save on the Cobra price premium) and dump your savings into a REAL stoked motor and SRA drivetrain then go out a kill. Won't be pretty, but will be really fast. In a world of 400hp ricers weighing nothing, fast is relative. Even Terminators are getting embarassed these days. If you pump your '01 you'll beat the vast majority of '03/'04's out there without mods...that should definitely earn you respect ... you just might have to replace that motor faster.

Stallion9769

Need to Mod
Established Member
Yeah, its small. Not super tiny, we got a Walmart and 2 Mcdonalds! But there is honestly just alot of shitty rice and a few nice cars. I have only ever seen 1 other 01 Cobra in town and I dnot know if they even live here. Theres alot of v6 and gt stangs and a few fast 5.0s. But with about 3 grand in this car I will honestly rarely get beaten. I know theres always something faster, but here in Somerset.... its hard to find that someone.

spyne

Established Member
Three months ago I paid 15K for an 01 with 21K miles on it that's in fantastic condition. I don't think you're going to be able to sell yours for 19K unless it's super low miles and in perfect condition.

GodStang

Established Member
Interspy24 said:
From your sig:

2003 Sonic Blue SVT Cobra
302 VT shortblock, Kenne Bell 2.2L, Crower Stage III, Kooks LT, Bassani Exhaust, Chrome 04 rims,12" JLT CAI, LFP Heat Exchanger, LFP Radiator, LFP Intercooler Resivor, Godbee Racing Custom Fuel System, twin Avaitor pumps, DFX clutch, 26-spline Input shaft, Fidanza Alum. Flywheel, and 4.10 gears.

Sweet car man. Can you get even get traction on the street? :burnout:

You have to baby the crap out of it or it will roost them. The car had 4.10s when I get it. I will most likly be yanking them out soon hoping to get better traction.

CobraG

Established Member
96stanggt said:
No offense man but you must be in a small town if a stock 01 is near the top of the food chain.....I'm just trying to keep up around here and Charleston isn't even that big....

That's true, but what is weird for me is when I'm in the Cobra it seems no other worth while comp is out, but let me be in our van and I see all kinds of potential action if I had been in the Cobra instead

SteveChris

Established Member
if you get 19k for it i'll sell mine today lol
my 01 has a little under 45k miles on it (20k of which were me this year which can be good or bad) its in very good shape, i am 90% sure they guy before me didnt abuse it. it was stock as of last year and only has 25k miles. and i dont abuse it.. its a daily driver but i dont race it
its a vert and still has an ext warranty till 2008 or 80k miles
id hope to see 19k but you never know

04svtdriver

I need another sports car
Established Member
Orlandostang said:
Keep the 01.

Unless the 03 is exactly what you would build if you were building your 01, then I say keep the 01 and build it better than a 03. With the 03 you're basically getting a heavier block, an inefficient blower, and a T56. Use the money to build your 01 better than a 03. And you'll save a few bucks a month in insurance. :thumbsup:
As much as I love my 04 if you get a T-56 and get a Hi-Po Block then a huffer or haridryer you'd be better off. But don't get me wrong the 03/04 is fan-damntastic out of the box

cobra2798

I have no car
Established Member
CobraG said:
That's true, but what is weird for me is when I'm in the Cobra it seems no other worth while comp is out, but let me be in our van and I see all kinds of potential action if I had been in the Cobra instead
Same thing happens to me, I hate it :mj:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I had an 03 that I absolutely loved, still really miss that car. However I don't see myself getting rid of my 99 to go back to a terminator.

Ultimately my situation wasn't beacuse I disliked the car. It was for financial reasons (purchased a house). Here's my comment on the cars though.

The 03 is heavy, REALLY heavy. When you drive one, you can tell it's heavy, especialyl after you get used to it. With the amount of power they make though step on teh gas and it seems a bit lighter.

On the otherhand the very first thing I noticed driving the 99 was how much more nimble it feels. It may be down almost 100 hp but it also weighs hundreds of pounds less. Most of which is off the front of the vehicle.

The only thing that I would trade from car to car would be the 03 seats and the t-56. Fortunately these are items than can be upgraded on the 99/01.

So from that standpoint having a 99/01 unless you are looking for a stock car that is faster than what you have it's not worth it to go to an 03. Spend the money you'd save on the 03 and build and engine and buy a blower. You'll still be lighter and nwo you'll be quicker, and still more nimble.

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
From one Kentuckian to another, and one who traded his 01 for an 03, get the 03, you won't regret it. Welcome to the site regardless and where in KY?

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
01vert said:
I think your plan has one flaw, I do not think you can get 19K for a 01 coupe right now. Realistic selling price is more like 15-16k, which means you will come out about dead even. Maybe look into paying off the car earlier and then getting juice or sc it. NA is nice but if you want to go fast, there are "cheaper" ways.

Good luck either way

I got $17500 out of my 31k 01 cobra convertible, zero flaws and well taken care of and that was back in late summer so still convertible weather. So your right, chances of getting 19k REAL MONEY slim and none. I sold cars for a few months, and I saw how easily the dealer can show you whatever you ask, but bottom line is trade difference. Walk in with a figure in mind, not a trade in value you hope to get. Any dealer with a calculator can make you think he's giving you $19k so he can sell the car. WIth the new body style out, our cars take an even worse hit on resale.

chuckstang

Established Member
Torch10th said:
I had an 03 that I absolutely loved, still really miss that car. However I don't see myself getting rid of my 99 to go back to a terminator.

Ultimately my situation wasn't beacuse I disliked the car. It was for financial reasons (purchased a house). Here's my comment on the cars though.

The 03 is heavy, REALLY heavy. When you drive one, you can tell it's heavy, especialyl after you get used to it. With the amount of power they make though step on teh gas and it seems a bit lighter.

On the otherhand the very first thing I noticed driving the 99 was how much more nimble it feels. It may be down almost 100 hp but it also weighs hundreds of pounds less. Most of which is off the front of the vehicle.

The only thing that I would trade from car to car would be the 03 seats and the t-56. Fortunately these are items than can be upgraded on the 99/01.

So from that standpoint having a 99/01 unless you are looking for a stock car that is faster than what you have it's not worth it to go to an 03. Spend the money you'd save on the 03 and build and engine and buy a blower. You'll still be lighter and nwo you'll be quicker, and still more nimble.

But still there is much more of a difference in the 03 then what you named. The rear end is much better, aluminum flywheel and driveshaft, better wheel/tire combo. I luv my 99 but I am still trying to decide if I should keep modding it or just sell it and buy a low mile 04 and it would cost the same amount but id now have a much newer lower mile car.
Well actually I know deep down, me being only 22, I should just be happy with my car and save my money but we all know how hard that is.

shadowland2000

Established Member
I always toy with the idea of getting an 03 also. My 01 has around 30K miles and I would not expect more than 16K for it. The 03 would probably cost around 26K and it would be tough to find an unmolested one. And there's always the risk of buying someone else's headache when you buy a used car.
Then there's the sales tax of around 2K. Then the insurance would jump up considerably. Then there's the extra expense for gas.

As much as I love my 01, I realize these cars are built with ancient assembly technology. Current technology allows cars to be built with much greater precision and strength. Also, I would prefer a car that could run on 87.

But overall, it comes down to how important this car would be to you. Is it worth all the extra expense? For me, I keep ruling that it's not. However, when I'm drunk my mind seems to start pulling the other way.

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
price of car 11k

build up 5k

procharger and supporting mods ie; Fuel components 3k

Clutch $250, other Mods in sig $750

gears, Dif , axles and install $900

Im at $20,900

I think it will be plenty fast.

Dont get me wrong. I love the 03. Its much more astheticaly pleasing but I can easly live with my 99

ExplorerThis

Valve Drop
Established Member
Get a 03.....its hard to find one tho that hasnt been beat on....I sold my 01 August of this year and got a 03 in September with only 53 miles on it...so there are some low mileage ones out there...

I do miss my 01 tho, the 4:30 gear and full bassani exhaust made my 03 stock feel slow.

chuckstang

Established Member
ExplorerThis said:
Get a 03.....its hard to find one tho that hasnt been beat on....I sold my 01 August of this year and got a 03 in September with only 53 miles on it...so there are some low mileage ones out there...

I do miss my 01 tho, the 4:30 gear and full bassani exhaust made my 03 stock feel slow.
u must have had a hellofa fast 01 lol

Sanchez

Don't Panic
Established Member
Is it possible to build a 99 or 01 to compete with an 03 for a similar (or even lower) amount of money? Sure. Will a bank loan you the money to do it? No. If you have $20k in cash laying around, you're probably better off building up an older car. If you're like me, though, the amount of money you have available to spend is exactly equal to the amount of money the bank will cut a check for. :)

chuckstang

Established Member
Sanchez said:
Is it possible to build a 99 or 01 to compete with an 03 for a similar (or even lower) amount of money? Sure. Will a bank loan you the money to do it? No. If you have $20k in cash laying around, you're probably better off building up an older car. If you're like me, though, the amount of money you have available to spend is exactly equal to the amount of money the bank will cut a check for. :)
ok, your post confuses me, could you explain again because it seems there is some quality info hidden within lol :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread