Votes: 53 37.1%
  • 03/04

Votes: 90 62.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

01trublue cobra

Established Member
It seems like everyone has a 03-04 Cobra. 99-01 Cobras are more rare and much lighter. Do a solid axle swap and lose another 100+ Lbs

cobraracer46

Banned
Stallion9769 said:
I figured I still owe lik 15k on it but figured if I sell it for 19-21k and get about 5k. then save up about 5k more over the course of 4 or 5 months and then get another loan. I wuold then be paying the same amount of money but would have a supercharged beast in the garage. I just am not sure what to do. Any input is appreciated.
First off, you would be lucky to get 12K for your current vehicle, so that means if you keep buying things you cant afford via financing then you will roll the negative equity from the 01 Cobra into the 03, so from a financial standpoint, that would result in a significant financial loss to you. Financing in general is a bad idea, but when you mix it with items like cars that rapidly go down the toilet in value, you will bleed money like crazy. Sure, the 03 Cobra has a lot of improvements over the 01 like a stiffer steering shaft isolator disk, harder front steering rack, front control arm and rear sub frame bushings along with shorter front tie rods, a better front and rear bump steer curve, thicker steering wheel, better power steering cooler, along with the increased power, but I don't think the improvements are worth it if you end up loosing a ton of money and wiping out your cash reserves, so looking at your situation from a financial point of view, going to the 03 would be a mistake because you can't even afford the 01 to begin with since you are making payments on it. Good luck to in what ever choice you make. :beer:

CobraG

Established Member
Actually I am kind of in this delima now. But the dealership I've been working with seems to find an 03/04 for me then somehow lose it :shrug:

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
I look at it this way just to get it up to spec of an 03

10000 - 99 Cobra
2500 - parts for Eaton swap if you shop around
1000 - IRS upgrades to 31 spline halfshafts and trac-loc unit + labor
3000 - Forged rods and pistons + machine work
1000 - Cobra heads + cams or port your C heads and find takeout cams
3000 - T56 swap with alum driveshaft

That's already up to 20,500 just for drivetrain stuff not to mention the upgraded seats and body parts. I also estimated low on those prices. Then in the end if it gets wrecked or stolen, your insurance pays out on a 99 cobra which books for 11-12k.

You could buy an 01 and get the nicer seats and 31 spline diff but you still need axles. Plus the initial investment of the car is higher.

rmgtc01

Established Member
I went from 4 GT's to the 03. While in the GT's I drove many friends 99/01 Cobras for weeks/months at a time while keeping them up when they were on deployments. It was decent power, but nothing to go wow over. One even had a vortech.
Once I could afford the 03 cobra and drove it, game over.
The 03 is night and day, especially once pullied/ported.

bonehead

F**k SRT10's
Established Member
i would do it in a heartbeat... but i dunno how attached you are to your current sled.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread