• 03/04

Votes: 90 62.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion9769

Need to Mod
Established Member
I figured I would come here and ask a very tough question. SHould I sell my 01 and try to get an 03 or stick with what I got? I just bought the 01 in late September and love it. I had previously had nothing faster than GT. I have put some rims and tint on it and everyone likes it. It is also one of the fastest cars in town with some of the others being a few camaros and an 03 Cobra. I still owe lik 15k on it but figured if I sell it for 19-21k and get about 5k. then save up about 5k more over the course of 4 or 5 months and then get another loan. I wuold then be paying the same amount of money but would have a supercharged beast in the garage. I just am not sure what to do. Any input is appreciated.

Shadow Fax

Established Member
Dude if its feesable, hell yeh do it!. you will love it. i almost sold mine because its 400 a month....but i cant bring myself to do it! im keeping it forever. all you have to do is about 2 grand in mods and your running 450+ hp on the street. its amazing. i say....do it. :rockon:

01cobrasouth

01cobrasouth
Established Member
I was going through the same dillema I decided to keep my 01 and forge it then either procharge it or go with a 2.2 kenne bell I'll probably go procharger because of pricing.Have you seen the price of a kb 1.7 intercooled kit like $7000.

SteveChris

Established Member
if you spend the 5k on the 01 youll be faster then an 03
but the 03 has a better block and some other things here and there.
i thought about it but its hard to find cobras that arent abused
i love mine its mileage is pretty low and im gonna keep it as long as i can then when i can better afford it ill try for a newer style cobra later on. slightly used or new if i can
plus i figure once i get around the installing my 4.10s ill fall in love all over again

Orlandostang

Established Member
Keep the 01.

Unless the 03 is exactly what you would build if you were building your 01, then I say keep the 01 and build it better than a 03. With the 03 you're basically getting a heavier block, an inefficient blower, and a T56. Use the money to build your 01 better than a 03. And you'll save a few bucks a month in insurance. :thumbsup:

Stallion9769

Need to Mod
Established Member
I would love to make the 01 faster than an 03 but I want to keep it N/A. I would like to put a S/C on it but the only ones I have ever seen on a stang just mess up the engine. Plus where I live there are no shops or anything to take it to get it worked on that arent at least 4 hours or so away. Plus I LOVE the way the 03 looks. Is it possible to make my snake as fast as a 03 without getting to crazy?

97Stangv6

Distractions suck....
Established Member
SteveChris said:
if you spend the 5k on the 01 youll be faster then an 03
but the 03 has a better block and some other things here and there.
i thought about it but its hard to find cobras that arent abused
i love mine its mileage is pretty low and im gonna keep it as long as i can then when i can better afford it ill try for a newer style cobra later on. slightly used or new if i can
plus i figure once i get around the installing my 4.10s ill fall in love all over again

Better block.....well maybe but the block is Iron and cost $300 NEW. If he has a Teskid its as strong/stronger and lighter. (You can pick up a teskid for under $500 from time to time, just keep a eye out for one.)

Tranny is the only REAL advantage. The rear can be upgrade and would need to be upgraded either way.

One other thing, the heads. Just P/P yours or find some 04's for cheap, get a built short block with a blower/NO2 And look at the 03/04 in your rear view mirror :-D

Now if you not into upgrading and just want something somewhat fast with little to no work from you. Then go with the 03/04 as it doesnt take much to make them fast. But if you have the will to mod and you already have the car i would just build yours up.

GodStang

Established Member
I had the same delma. I had a 01 Cobra that I loved and had done a decent amount of work on it. Having a friend that had a 02 blown Z06 I felt I needed more power. I could either build an 01 or buy an 03. I opted for the 03 and then built an engine for it. I thought I would miss my 01 but I love the 03 so much more. you just have to decidie what you want only you can make that decision.

mtb01

Established Member
There were a few days I regretted selling my 01 for my 03. I've had a few issues with the 03, but it has been fixed under Warranty. The cost Difference from my 01 to the 03 was right at 7000 Dollars. For 7000 Dollars you can build a monster of an 01. I just looked at 03 is 2 years newer, a few mods can make 400 plus HP, I have a year left of warrany, and I liked the body better. Both are great cars. Can't go wrong with either.

Sanchez

Don't Panic
Established Member
Stallion9769 said:
Is it possible to make my snake as fast as a 03 without getting to crazy?

No. Low 13's are the best you're likely to see "without getting too crazy." A stock 03 will do that on street tires without breaking a sweat, and a simple pulley swap will put it out of your league.

cobradude

SVT DUDE
Established Member
Without getting crazy? Stock 03's are sc'd so if you supercharge it yes it will be as fast...are faster!

Interspy24

Established Member
GodStang said:
I had the same delma. I had a 01 Cobra that I loved and had done a decent amount of work on it. Having a friend that had a 02 blown Z06 I felt I needed more power. I could either build an 01 or buy an 03. I opted for the 03 and then built an engine for it. I thought I would miss my 01 but I love the 03 so much more. you just have to decidie what you want only you can make that decision.

From your sig:

2003 Sonic Blue SVT Cobra
302 VT shortblock, Kenne Bell 2.2L, Crower Stage III, Kooks LT, Bassani Exhaust, Chrome 04 rims,12" JLT CAI, LFP Heat Exchanger, LFP Radiator, LFP Intercooler Resivor, Godbee Racing Custom Fuel System, twin Avaitor pumps, DFX clutch, 26-spline Input shaft, Fidanza Alum. Flywheel, and 4.10 gears.

Sweet car man. Can you get even get traction on the street? :burnout:

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
If ultimate power is what you're looking for, the iron block is more "bullet-proof" for higher S/C numbers. Go with the '03. It's probably the best investment (if you can call a car an investment) of your high-HP performance dollar. If a really unique ride (IRS, N/A aluminum block, lighter, rarer) is important to you stick with the '01. You can still build it to be quite fast and handle better. There are a lot of '03's around...not so many '01's. I think anyone who appreciates Cobra history realizes the New Edge's are pretty cool. Then again, history goes out the window when you go head-to-head. The poll says '03...which is telling in a New Edge forum. Your call. :beer:

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
The 03's are nice, but aside for a T56 there is nothing that makes me want to sell my 01 and go pay for an 03 that are usually overpriced w/ high mileage. I can make a lower end as strong as the 03 and put a better blower on it, make more power and still have a little lighter car under the cost of an 03. It all comes down to what you could sell you car for and what you get an 03 for. Then maybe it would be worth it.

CobraG

Established Member
I maybe would, but it would have to be low low miles and driven by an older person, I'd be to afraid someone dogged it out or broke something and are now trying to sell their headache.
But if the car was proven solid, no problems and looked good, and if I had the money I probably would

01vert

Established Member
I think your plan has one flaw, I do not think you can get 19K for a 01 coupe right now. Realistic selling price is more like 15-16k, which means you will come out about dead even. Maybe look into paying off the car earlier and then getting juice or sc it. NA is nice but if you want to go fast, there are "cheaper" ways.

Good luck either way

Orlandostang

Established Member
01vert said:
I think your plan has one flaw, I do not think you can get 19K for a 01 coupe right now. Realistic selling price is more like 15-16k

+1

I bought my 01 for $16K while the 03s on the lot were going for $26K. I couldn't justify paying the extra $10K for the 03.

Stallion9769

Need to Mod
Established Member
Well, I think I may just stay with my 01 just because of where I live. I get on here and look at all the 400hp+ CObras and just drool over them and wish mine was as fast. But because I live in just a medium sized town I have ne of the fastest cars here. Like I said there is an 03 and a few other things but with a few mods I would hold my own easily in this town and that is why I have decided to stick with my 01. But if anyone wants to trade for an 03 let me know!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread