should a 98 cobra

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
have you gotten a tune since the IMRC deletes, if not that is likely your problem, the cars timing tables are prob all screwed up because its getting codes cause its not reading the IMRC's.

Get it on a dyno and get it tuned make sure the a/f is correct and that its not pulling timing at the top end for some reason, and that the front O2 sensors are wokring well and heating up in time. Even if its not the tune if your runnign the IMRC delete you should have it tuned so its something to check of the list.

After that it could be a clogged fuel line, fuel regulator, or injectors causing it to die up top, but a dyno tune can help diagnose such issues. So its worth the time and money. Is the car runnign really rich, are you getting poor MPG, thats an indication the computer is dumping too much fuel.

What are the plugs gapped at?

What codes if any do you have?

Last edited:

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I would wonder if malfunctioning knock sensors could cause something like this?

First step for me would be getting it on a dyno/getting it logged and see whats going on with it...

Blu50Stang

Happiness is being blown
Established Member
Why the new motor? Who put the motor together? What parts were replaced?

Throw it on a dyno!!! You need to find out why it's lacking power above 4500 rpm. With imrc deletes, it should be a little sluggish below about 3000 rpm, then pull strong to redline. Sounds like a tune issue, but we are getting limited info. A dyno should show the problem.

Last edited:

Brentr94svt

Team Cobra
Established Member
i have a stock 95 cobra and i drove 4 96-98 cobras and they all had under 70k miles and have exhaust and gears and there were all slow... i raced and blow them all out

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
i have a stock 95 cobra and i drove 4 96-98 cobras and they all had under 70k miles and have exhaust and gears and there were all slow... i raced and blow them all out

Yea ok. A 96-98 Cobra with gears will embarass your Cobra. I suppose you dominate and blow 03-04 Mach 1's out too huh?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Yea ok. A 96-98 Cobra with gears will embarass your Cobra. I suppose you dominate and blow 03-04 Mach 1's out too huh?

provided the 5.0 owner can drive, and the others can't, it's prefectly plausible.

You guys think your basic 4vs are unbeatable by an old pushrod 5.0

Especially from a dig. From stop light to stop light, a 5.0 Cobra is probably quicker with the low end tq

Last edited by a moderator:

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
provided the 5.0 owner can drive, and the others can't, it's prefectly plausible.

Especially from a dig. From stop light to stop light, a 5.0 Cobra is probably quicker with the low end tq

I get the torque argument, but this guy was saying that his STOCK 95 Cobra was blowing the doors off of 96-98 Cobras that have exhaust and gears. I call :bs: on that one. A stock 94-95 Cobra is a mid to low 14 sec car. A 96-98 Cobra with gears and exhaust is a low 13 second car.

I also understand the driver mod, but given drivers are equal this story is BS. I used to own a 94 Cobra, so I know what they are capable of.

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
yeah, i don't see a stock 94-95 cobra beating a 96-98. stock for stock isn't the 94-95 slower.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member

5.0s with work have been fast, ones I have driven have torque but are still dogs so depends on your mods

Last edited:

Termi 03

Team Cobra
Established Member
plus one for the 94-95 cobras beating the 96-98!

raced with the guy that said that and we both beat 4 96-98 cobras with exhaust and 373's... ask the guy how posted the thread!

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
plus one for the 94-95 cobras beating the 96-98!

raced with the guy that said that and we both beat 4 96-98 cobras with exhaust and 373's... ask the guy how posted the thread!

then those drivers couldn't drive.:bs::bs::bs:

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
i was the only one with gears and i am a pretty damn good driver..it just my car is falling on its face

Your car obviously has problems, so they shouldn't take your car into account. Do you have any info about your car? Like the many questions that were asked throughout this thread?

Blown4v

Just Another Sell Out
Established Member
stop waiting for someone here to internet-isolate your issue and get it to a good tuner with a dyno or who can datalog on the street, if they are competent, you're issue will be solved

pulling hard up to and then falling on its face above 4k is the exact opposite of what you would expect with an IMRC deleted engine

Users who are viewing this thread