Shop quote trippled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackDragon

Because Race Car...
Established Member
that is not the keyword when the actual price is so much higher than the estimate. Most states have limits on how much over the estimate you can go. almost tripiling one is not allowed in most states unless they give the customer a call and give them the opportunity to back out.

OP: Get a trailer and get your car to another shop

I work in a dealership. Here in new york, you can't go .01 over the estimate without approval. Signature or verbal authorization with personal info REQUIRED.

xXSVTmonsterXx

SVTP Monster
Established Member
I work in a dealership. Here in new york, you can't go .01 over the estimate without approval. Signature or verbal authorization with personal info REQUIRED.

How would they verify a verbal authorization? I was never told that the price would be this extreme. As a matter of fact a friends car was 8k for work done on it and my car was there at the time. I OPENLY EXPRESSED how I felt his price was very high and said I COULD NOT AFFORD FOR THAT TO HAPPEN TO ME.

I never authorized anything above the original estimate and modifying the headers. Which I was told to REMAKE AN ENTIRE SIDE would be 1000.

Parts wise... I dropped off boxes. I may have needed bolts/gaskets/fluids. Maybe an idler or two?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Qwk GT

Established Member
They should call you to inform you and get approval of additional charges.

I'd just get your car from them and find another shop. It sucks, because they are already are into it. But I wouldn't want them touching it even if they work with you.... Who knows what kind of half ass job they would do now that you are fighting the pricing.

I dont' know how much an engine install would run, but the fact that your pricing increased so much wouldn't set well with me.

Rent/borrow a trailer, or pay someone to tow it, JMO.

Good luck.

BlackDragon

Because Race Car...
Established Member
How would they verify a verbal authorization? I was never told that the price would be this extreme. As a matter of fact a friends car was 8k for work done on it and my car was there at the time. I OPENLY EXPRESSED how I felt his price was very high and said I COULD NOT AFFORD FOR THAT TO HAPPEN TO ME.

I never authorized anything above the original estimate and modifying the headers. Which I was told to REMAKE AN ENTIRE SIDE would be 1000.

Parts wise... I dropped off boxes. I may have needed bolts/gaskets/fluids. Maybe an idler or two?

Usually get name, dob, and contact #, write the info on the estimate and have the customer sign off on the add on when picking up the car. People have tried to pull fast ones before though, so our phone calls are recorded, and we use that as backup.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
The break down of the bill goes something like this:
7 weeks sitting in the shop - whether being worked on or idle waiting for misc parts (7k. At least???! I was told).

2 days to "modify" mild steel headers? 20 hours at 90 an hour? (Discounted rate lol).

2k in misc parts?! When I.provided a complete long block from mmr and said to take off parts from my previous 4v. Fuel system was complete from glenns performance minus fuel rail fittings.

My friends car sat at a well known speed shop since JULY, and he just picked it up in the last couple weeks. His estimate was in the 3-4K range. Around October he paid 3K, and was given a new estimate of something like $800-1300 more. Every time he needed ________, they called and asked him, or at least told him we NEED to order this. He dropped it off saying "no hurry" and clearly that what they did, but also no storage fees.

Before you walk in the shop, I would talk to a lawyer/attorney, and get their take. Calling the cops from the shop when they won't give you the car for the original amount may not work without some legal backing. Get a letter drawn up maybe from a lawyer.

canibus

Established Member
Honestly, I think they want you to take the car. Most people bid rediculous amounts when they don't want a job.

neatofrito1618

Established Member
Thanks all. Unfortunately the car is... well in a matter of speaking "done"? The transmission case apparently started pouring fluid out (liberty built tko 600). And according to them there was a crack covered with rtv silicon?

In any event only a start up tune was loaded and the car never touched the dyno I will... I'm losing faith in them quick.

I don't want to give the shops name yet. In the event they aren't fair to me I WILL.

The break down of the bill goes something like this:
7 weeks sitting in the shop - whether being worked on or idle waiting for misc parts (7k. At least???! I was told).

2 days to "modify" mild steel headers? 20 hours at 90 an hour? (Discounted rate lol).

2k in misc parts?! When I.provided a complete long block from mmr and said to take off parts from my previous 4v. Fuel system was complete from glenns performance minus fuel rail fittings.

1,000/week just to have it sit in the shop? 2 thousand to modify headers? LOL

The fact that you're not livid about them trying to bend you over tells me that you're likely a very passive person, which they interpreted as an invitation to collect a payday. Don't pay a penny more than the estimate and get the word out about the shop.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Guys, minus the tune they finished the car, they're saying the tranny is leaking
I will tell you this ... **** them and the 'storage fees" I can see your invoice at work but they cannot charge you "storage fees" if the delays in getting the car done was their fault or their suppliers fault.

mymustang44

Cammed What??
Established Member
Since when do you need to build or even modify headers to fit on a mustang??

I've had 3 4v's with long tubes and never modified anything. And the engine swap is actually pretty straight foward.

That shop is either trying to take advantage of you or has a great lack of mechanic skills.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I'd see if you could take the estimate to the police. Tell them your side and that you will pay for the estimate but want to tow your car to another shop. See if the police will accompany you to the shop.

If you go lawyer, have the the legal fees detracted from the final payment or go small claims. Not sure what your state small claims value is set at.

LS2GTO

Established Member
I highlighted the keyword...

With an estimate being so far off from the actual price maybe this shop should not be doing business with such repairs. From 4k to 11k it's no longer an estimate, it's a bait & switch.

xXSVTmonsterXx

SVTP Monster
Established Member
couldnt of said it better myself

I agreed to the estimate of $4100. The work is done. Last week I was told it would be around 6k and now 12k as of yesterday evening. The work is done said for the car being tuned.

The 12K FIGURE was never mentioned or approved by me.

Last edited:

Ironhand

Banned
I could've sold you a cheap K member that would've made this so much easier and cheaper on you. No header modifications required.

I installed my 5.4 in a day with a group of buddies giving me a hand.

forbanger

Established Member
Dude something isn't right there. How would they know if you had that kind of money? What if you just save for the $4100?

Not sure what your financial situation is but an $8k difference is HUGE!!

forbanger

Established Member
Shit I would talk to a lawyer, police, other shops and see what the legal business practices are. That just isn't right.

Stanger00

Established Member
Since when do you need to build or even modify headers to fit on a mustang??

I've had 3 4v's with long tubes and never modified anything. And the engine swap is actually pretty straight foward.

That shop is either trying to take advantage of you or has a great lack of mechanic skills.

He had a 5.4 installed and from the sounds of it the long tubes needed to be modified to fit the k-member.

Know one guy personally who had custom long tubes built from scratch that ran him close to 4 grand. They were built around a MM k member and 2 valve 5.4.

xXSVTmonsterXx

SVTP Monster
Established Member
He had a 5.4 installed and from the sounds of it the long tubes needed to be modified to fit the k-member.

Know one guy personally who had custom long tubes built from scratch that ran him close to 4 grand. They were built around a MM k member and 2 valve 5.4.

There was no k member issue...one of the passenger side primaries hit the frame and had to be re-routed. The only way to reroute that primary was to also reroute the one beneath it. Then one primary on the driver side was re-routed to clear the steering shaft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread