Shop quote trippled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
NYS DMV - (Brochure) Know Your Rights in Auto Repair

The "Consumer's Bill Of Rights"

Under the Repair Shop Act, you have the following rights when dealing with a repair shop:

Written Estimate

If you request it, the repair shop must give you a written estimate of the parts and labor necessary for each specific repair. The shop may charge a reasonable fee for developing a written estimate, but the labor charge for an estimate may not exceed the shop's usual hourly labor charge.

The estimate must list each part and its cost, and show what parts, if any, are either used or not of original quality. It must show the labor charges for each repair and by what method they are calculated. The shop may not charge more than the estimated price without your permission.

Authorizing Work

A shop may not perform any services unless you give your permission. If the shop prepares a written work order, it must give you a copy. If you prepare a written work order, the shop must attach it to the invoice. If work is authorized verbally or by telephone, the invoice must show the date, time, and name of the person giving authorization.

95PGTTech

Established Member
Based on his location and previous threads, it looks like it is Mustang Magic. The hair on the back of my neck stood up for a minute thinking of JDM Engineering, but there is absolutely no way they would work on a "project" or something "that old."

2000 gt

Established Member
Shouldn't of jumped that far without your approval. I can see a few hundred bucks cause what's 500$. To $4000. But from 4000 to 11 thousand is crazy. What shop is this???

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
Update this thread as soon as you talk to them OP. I'd love to hear their reasoning.

Cant do the work yourself?

Ben Dover.

If you dont want to pay take it somewhere else.

You might as well just elaborate and finish the post because you know you're just trying to plug how you great you are doing your own work and how you LOL @ anyone that pays for someone to work on their cars. C'mon just tell us about your awesomeness because I know you're dying to do it...

slow2002gt

Detective Kia
Established Member
I would love to see these headers are they made of platinum and coated with thermal diamonds?

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
If this is Mustang Magic... grab your car and run they are trying to **** you over. That place has been horrible for awhile now. So much of the shit they have sent out has blown up.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
You might as well just elaborate and finish the post because you know you're just trying to plug how you great you are doing your own work and how you LOL @ anyone that pays for someone to work on their cars. C'mon just tell us about your awesomeness because I know you're dying to do it...

That was it.

But youre right. Thats exactly how I feel. Aside from the awesomeness part.

If I couldnt do the work myself I wouldnt be doing it. To me this hobby is less about the end result and more about the journey to get there, the enjoyment of modding your car with your blood and sweat.

If people cant do it and are willing to pay others then thats fine, but youll always be at the mercy of shit shops like this that quote you one price then once they have your car add 2-3x to it because "it looks like itll take more effort than we originally thought and we lack the integrity to stand behind our original number." Yeah, im sure the effort that goes into their quality of work mirrors that same ethic.

xXSVTmonsterXx

SVTP Monster
Established Member
Thanks all. Unfortunately the car is... well in a matter of speaking "done"? The transmission case apparently started pouring fluid out (liberty built tko 600). And according to them there was a crack covered with rtv silicon?

In any event only a start up tune was loaded and the car never touched the dyno I will... I'm losing faith in them quick.

I don't want to give the shops name yet. In the event they aren't fair to me I WILL.

The break down of the bill goes something like this:
7 weeks sitting in the shop - whether being worked on or idle waiting for misc parts (7k. At least???! I was told).

2 days to "modify" mild steel headers? 20 hours at 90 an hour? (Discounted rate lol).

2k in misc parts?! When I.provided a complete long block from mmr and said to take off parts from my previous 4v. Fuel system was complete from glenns performance minus fuel rail fittings.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

xXSVTmonsterXx

SVTP Monster
Established Member
20130130_014835_zps81620e0d.jpg

BlackDragon

Because Race Car...
Established Member
Thanks all. Unfortunately the car is... well in a matter of speaking "done"? The transmission case apparently started pouring fluid out (liberty built tko 600). And according to them there was a crack covered with rtv silicon?

In any event only a start up tune was loaded and the car never touched the dyno I will... I'm losing faith in them quick.

I don't want to give the shops name yet. In the event they aren't fair to me I WILL.

The break down of the bill goes something like this:
7 weeks sitting in the shop - whether being worked on or idle waiting for misc parts (7k. At least???! I was told).

2 days to "modify" mild steel headers? 20 hours at 90 an hour? (Discounted rate lol).

2k in misc parts?! When I.provided a complete long block from mmr and said to take off parts from my previous 4v. Fuel system was complete from glenns performance minus fuel rail fittings.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

WOW that is a whole load of bullshit. There are a few great shops in the bronx or lower westchester that I could have gotten you in touch with to get this job done. Ughhhhhhh

You sir, are getting bent over unfortunately. I would not pay them a cent over the estimate if I were you. And if this is the shop I think it is, I would have the work checked over.

BlackDragon

Because Race Car...
Established Member
See estimate above. I NEVER SIGNED ANYTHING.

My address and the shops name are covered by the book, FOR NOW.

:fm:

You are set. Pay them the estimate amount and kindly ask for your car back. If they don't, call the cops...

They don't have a leg to stand on.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I highlighted the keyword...
that is not the keyword when the actual price is so much higher than the estimate. Most states have limits on how much over the estimate you can go. almost tripiling one is not allowed in most states unless they give the customer a call and give them the opportunity to back out.

OP: Get a trailer and get your car to another shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread