Shop quote trippled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xXSVTmonsterXx

SVTP Monster
Established Member
So long story short was quoted 4k to install a motor/fuel system... completion labor and tune.

A week ago I was told the car was a lot more work than anticipated. As such it was going to be 6k and change.

Now I called up today and its 11k+?!!?

I was having a 5.4 swapped into my cobra. What can I do? I feel like the shops taking advantage of me... and I've used them for years. They claim its no longer an engine swap because they had to modify 3-4 of my primaries on my headers and as such is a "project".

I have a print of the original estimate.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sounds like the shop had/has no idea what they got themselves into, and as such you should probably be renting a trailer tomorrow and taking it somewhere that knows what they are doing.

halemach1

Established Member
Sounds like the shop had/has no idea what they got themselves into, and as such you should probably be renting a trailer tomorrow and taking it somewhere that knows what they are doing.

This, my family owns and operates a small shop. If we quote a customer 250$ for a repair and it ends up taking us two days and 500$ worth of parts to do said repair, guess what, we and the customer came to an agreed price and that's what we will stick to. Now that being said there are some jobs were we just have to tell them "we have no idea what it's going to take to fix something. It will cost you X amount of money for us to dig into it and see what all needs to be done."

I would tell them that when their price went from 4K to 11K+, is when my car went from their shop to someone else's.

Good luck

Machdup1

Established Member
Are estimates legally binding in your state. Get an attorney and ask for a quick opinion.

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
If they didn't get approval from you for the increase in price and just did it, i wouldn't pay them a dime over what they estimated the original cost would be. That's why people get estimates...

Mjavant1985

Figgy (Cam) Newton
Established Member
If they didn't get approval from you for the increase in price and just did it, i wouldn't pay them a dime over what they estimated the original cost would be. That's why people get estimates...

I wouldnt pay them period,i would been getting arrangments to take said car elsewhere. Do you want a shop who could be losing 7k to work on your car?

When you get this sorted out OP, please do the Tri-state area guys a favor and identify the shop just so the local guys can proceed with caution.

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
So long story short was quoted 4k to install a motor/fuel system... completion labor and tune.

A week ago I was told the car was a lot more work than anticipated. As such it was going to be 6k and change.

Now I called up today and its 11k+?!!?

I was having a 5.4 swapped into my cobra. What can I do? I feel like the shops taking advantage of me... and I've used them for years. They claim its no longer an engine swap because they had to modify 3-4 of my primaries on my headers and as such is a "project".

I have a print of the original estimate.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

If you want to come out to LI then I have 2 shops that are amazing for ya

Pitbull Performance

and

Realspeed

Jack Burton

Established Member
I highlighted the keyword...

Without the other key part, which we do not know. Did he approve all the other work each step of the way? Without that part, shops would be quoting $500 for a job then charging $5,000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevins89notch

Established Member
The last estimate I signed said something about approving any additional charges up to 15% of the estimated amount...or something like that. 5K would be $5,750 then.

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
When I had the lifters replaced on my Hemi, the dealer called each time before they when further into the tear down. They also called after they figured out the problem(lifters), and called before they were going to replace them, and they asked me if I wanted them to replace just the one bank, or take the other head off while they were in there and do the other bank. The dealer should have called you and explained why the job was going from 4-6k and then again exactly why it was going from 4-11k is basically them saying it is going to take 70 more man hours to finish than we thought it would. WTF!?

Kevins89notch

Established Member
http://www.dmv.ny.gov/forms/cr82.pdf

"ACCORDING TO THE MOTOR VEHICLE REPAIR SHOP
REGISTRATION ACT, THIS REPAIR SHOP IS OBLIGATED TO:
Provide you with an estimate for all repair work, but you must ask for it. A
reasonable fee may be charged for the estimate. The repair shop may not
charge you more than the price on the estimate unless you give them your
permission to perform additional work."

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
umm tell them no, go pick up your car. If they are 3 times their estimate price then they do not know what they are doing. They should not be working on it without approval. Its their job to know what they are doing not yours to make sure they charge enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread