SEMA and CA Collaborate to Give You Cash for Violating EPA Regulations???

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
According to the EPA, not VIN's motor vehicle can ever have it's emissions equipment removed or altered. It seems a new SEMA supported bill that breezed through the CA statehouse would offer a $2000 tax payer funded rebate to persons to do just that:

By SEMA Washington, D.C., Staff
Lawmakers in the California Assembly unanimously passed bipartisan SEMA-sponsored legislation (A.B. 2350) that would incentivize consumers to convert gasoline- and diesel-powered motor vehicles into zero-emissions vehicles (ZEV). If enacted, A.B. 2350 would provide eligible motorists who convert their vehicle with a $2,000 rebate. The bill currently awaits consideration in the Senate.​
In recent years, California has implemented various programs, including the Clean Vehicle Rebate Program and the Clean Cars for All Program, to promote the purchase of new zero-emission vehicles (ZEVs). However, none of the programs currently offer benefits for vehicles that started their life with an internal-combustion engine and can be converted to a ZEV via an aftermarket motor package. A.B. 2350 helps preserve California’s rich car culture while creating new ways to make ZEV ownership more accessible.​
SEMA encourages its members and enthusiasts in California to contact their lawmakers in support of A.B. 2350 by clicking here.​
For further details, contact Christian Robinson at [email protected].​

I'm sure violating EPA regs was not the intention, but it doesn't appear the agency makes a distinction between removing an EGR system or an entire engine. Seems the feds need to make a new carveout in their regs for this type of conversion.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
I don't know the exact specifics of the law, but the EPA and CARB consider "repowering" a vehicle different than "modifying" existing emissions equipment. When they're done it's usually audited and issued new documentation classifying it with the new powertrain/emissions system, at least in the commercial space. Just my experience with it.

Balt21

Established Member
I wonder what the overlap of people who are current car enthusiasts with the desire to do an ICE to electric swap and the people with the knowledge and ability to do the swap looks like.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I wonder what the overlap of people who are current car enthusiasts with the desire to do an ICE to electric swap and the people with the knowledge and ability to do the swap looks like.

there are several reasons i'd never buy an electric car, but that is one of the main ones.

how in the hell are you supposed to fix it when it breaks? without getting a phd in electrical engineering

SecondhandSnake

Established Member

They're a surprising amount. And there's a whole slew of techbros that are just salivating over Tesla swapping every old muscle or JDM car the way people wanted to LS swap the world just 5 years ago.

It's an interesting market though. Really the principles aren't too hard- you've got a battery pack, motor, some sort of controller, and if it's an AC system, an inverter. Right now the controller is the hard part. Most just have to use a whole package system from a vehicle, much the same way ECU and body networks have become a cluster****. I think we'll start to see more flexibility in aftermarket options, especially from China, as it becomes more commonplace. Like the ebay turbos and Megasquirts of the EV world.

The biggest problem to the aftermarket community is that you really cant modify it like you can ICE cars. If you want faster it basically means you have to go to more or bigger components. It's like if there was no turning up your 350- you either have to get a 454 or add another 350. I guess that's why most EV mods are making RGB lighting, waterfall lights, or fart noises.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
there are several reasons i'd never buy an electric car, but that is one of the main ones.

how in the hell are you supposed to fix it when it breaks? without getting a phd in electrical engineering

in due time the tools and resources will be out there. Just gonna need a good multimeter and such to go with your diagnostic device of choice. Probably gonna be a lot of soldering irons sold too

Users who are viewing this thread