Self defense

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
Like I said in another thread I’m dealing with this.

My wife’s 14 year old son… mind you.. raised spoiled as shit band nerd in small town Texas.. all of a sudden thinks he’s ghetto, trying to talk ghetto.. is less than 120 pounds at 5’9… is just waiting to get his ass kicked.

I told her I would teach him just beginner boxing but he says “ you’re too big “

Umm. There are plenty of high school kids way bigger than me.

He likes to act cocky, and I told him … when someone lays your ass out for acting like this. It’s not my problem.

Her daughter on the other hand…knows.. kick a **** face in the crotch and go for the jugular

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
shouldnt be a problem, 95% of the dudes on here are MMA professionals.

I’d say there’s quite a few of us on this site as regulars …. Judging by a few testosterone discussions and workout discussions and fire arms discussions … are closer to the side of **** around and find out than you’d expect

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
I took years of Taekwando and I feel like it gave me confidence to take care of myself if there was a situation I needed to get out of, almost made to a red belt. I hate that I didn't keep up with it and get to a black belt but we moved across country and I had to start from scratch. Anyway, I feel like something is better than nothing. Also you can use the skill set that you learn in any of the self defense programs and apply them to others. If anything just explain that in fights, rules go out the window and especially nowadays it's all about survival because these thugs do not stop until someone is critically injured or worse.

Blown 89

Established Member
I competed in grappling and MMA for 15 or so years so take that for what it's worth.

Wrestling is your best base followed by BJJ. Stupid people will tell you that you don't want to learn to take a fight to the ground because you'll get head kicked and ganged up on or some stupid derpy bullshit. The idea here is that YOU control where the fight happens and you're competent enough when it does go to the ground to stay safe. Boxing, kickboxing, Muay Thai or any striking sport to help you manage distance avoid damage is a good idea too. The best self defense is being able to control where the fight goes, how to avoid damage, and how to safely get away from it.

Krav Maga, Karate, Aikido, Taekwondo, Win Chun, etc, etc are all useless bullshit and I'd avoid them at all costs. Basically anything that practices a ton of sweet moves on willing subjects because it's too dangerous to actually train is bullshit. One of the greatest joys in life is wrecking those guys realities in real time.

My 7 year old is also soft hearted and he doesn't have a choice, he has to pick one of the above to do at least once a week whether he likes it or not. When he turns 8 the firearm training starts.

Good luck.

MFE

Established Member
I enjoyed Krav Maga because it leverages very natural responses to great effect, however, in my experience, it teaches absolutely nothing about ground fighting. My vote for a youngin would be Jiu Jitsu, or How to **** People Up Without Ever Hitting Them.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
As someone who grew up always being interested in fighting but with parents who always forbade it, I feel like I know what it's like to feel intimidated as a kid and unsure of your ability or confidence to handle yourself so I have some input in as far as what will build confidence.

What would have helped me was something that was physical and allowed me to get hit in the face to help remove that fear of getting hit. I learned how to fight much later in life and the Marine Corps obviously teaches you a lot and puts you through the ringer in many ways, but it gets you used to being hit. My drill instructors made me box the golden gloves black kid in my platoon which was a real eye-opener into how someone with skill can dominate the other person and remove all ability to fight back. That kid hit me so hard and so many times every punch took energy from me to where I could hardly throw a punch that was worth a damn when he finally let up. Later I ended up being on the other end of that and boxed a guy in my platoon and I could feel everything he had leave him as I sunk two left hooks into his side.

For that, I've always been a proponent of boxing because in every day situations against average people you're going to dominate if you know what you're doing and they don't. You could also kill someone if you knock them out and they hit their head so a good ground game, either wrestling or BJJ, and other fighting styles should be mixed in too so you dont always have to resort to that. MMA is the obvious choice as he will get striking and ground game training. I'm not as good on the ground but I know enough to handle my own of need be. I also know some dirty moves so that's always good too lol.

I wish MMA had been bigger when I was a kid because I probably would have got into it, but I think more kids need to grow up feeling what it's like to fight and get punched, but for a while it's been many kids who are sheltered and never experience it and it can lead to being scared and unable to stand up for yourself.

MG0h3

Established Member
OP just pick whatever to start. Maybe something that someone you know takes their kid to or something. Help your kiddo be more comfortable.

But having skills in striking and on the ground is the best of both worlds.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
I think more kids need to grow up feeling what it's like to fight and get punched, but for a while it's been many kids who are sheltered and never experience it and it can lead to being scared and unable to stand up for yourself.
Probably one of the most valuable and applicable things stated yet, I am currently watching this growth in real time with my kiddo in taekwando. Its wonderful.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Kenpo Karate

I took the American version which is essentially street fighting

Martial arts are great for discipline, exercise, self confidence, and self defense.

That's what I took as a kid. My instructor was taught by Ed Parker. We occasionally had other instructors teach side classes and they gave advice that was generally off the record for ending a fight quickly.

LSwat

Established Member
Lot of good opinions here, some better than others. Remember, it's a street fight, not a sanctioned match.

If you're worried about your kid getting jumped or a more real world confrontation BJJ is great, but it's also almost useless if there's more than one attacker. Last place you want to be is on the ground.

Muay Thai / boxing / kick boxing would be my recommendation. If he can throw a few quick hits that's usually enough to deter a couple of turds. You never forget someone who punches you in the face.

Most importantly, you're his dad. Go do a class with him. Regardless of what it is. Pick whatever is closest to you/most convenient. He's going to enjoy doing SOMETHING with dad, and you can help guide him.

Also, spend a little time wrestling with him so he understands the basics incase a kid tackles him. Remember, it's a street fight , there isn't a bell.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Lot of good opinions here, some better than others. Remember, it's a street fight, not a sanctioned match.

If you're worried about your kid getting jumped or a more real world confrontation BJJ is great, but it's also almost useless if there's more than one attacker. Last place you want to be is on the ground.

Muay Thai / boxing / kick boxing would be my recommendation. If he can throw a few quick hits that's usually enough to deter a couple of turds. You never forget someone who punches you in the face.

Most importantly, you're his dad. Go do a class with him. Regardless of what it is. Pick whatever is closest to you/most convenient. He's going to enjoy doing SOMETHING with dad, and you can help guide him.

Also, spend a little time wrestling with him so he understands the basics incase a kid tackles him. Remember, it's a street fight , there isn't a bell.

I got my neck/back injury doing MCMAP which is the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program. I was in RTT and our dickhead black belt Corporal instructor was running us all through grey belt and so on and he put us through some brutal shit that I'm pretty sure was unsanctioned because a lot of us got injured. One drill that I don't actually think was too out of hand was putting one guy in the center of a circle with 30 or so other guys having striking pads and he would call 2-3 at a time to attack the person in the center at once, and the rules were 3 strikes to the person with pads to get them to retreat.

I did well but got hit hard. Most of these guys had backgrounds in football and it was intense, almost everyone was getting overwhelmed but you kept fighting regardless, there was no option to stop. I remember the most commonly used move by everyone as they tired out was a Muey Tai clinch to get those 3 strikes in and a lot of them were actually connecting despite the pads as the drill was full speed. It was everyone's natural reaction and the quickest and hardest hit they could deliver. I remember getting absolutely rocked by my 230lb friend from behind who sent me flying face first through the air. I was in the air long enough and far enough to be able to go into a roll and get out of it and fight back. I wasn't so lucky on the next blindsided hit that sent me off the mat on my back and my neck snapped back as my head hit the gym floor and I felt it pop. I kept fighting back though and scissor kicked the guy that hit me as he ran up on me and when I got him to the ground I started throwing blows and then turned to clinch the other 2 guys to finish them and get them to retreat. That neck injury was whiplash and I still deal with it today, but I learned a lot about situational awareness during that drill.

Only one of the guys in my platoon fought all 30 people without really getting hit. It was my buddy Tutch, and he was all over the place like a maniac. He had such good situational awareness of where everyone was and he just kept striking and keeping guys off of him. It was impressive to watch even if it was a drill.

It's hard to train for multiple people but I would think that is a fairly standard drill for most martial arts. You either learn how to counter every person you're fighting against or you learn how to keep fighting through getting hit regardless if you're injured or not.

Last edited:

ajaf1656

Established Member
When I was about 20, I got jumped by an angry boyfriend and his entire crew. I got a little lumped up and got a cut on my ear that bled like crazy, but walked away from it by taking it to the ground. Having been a wrestler makes the prospect of standing up and throwing punches seem so silly to me.
My issue with the striking based martial arts is you don't really get to compete the way you would in a fight unless you are willing to take some real damage. In other words, it's all theoretical until you find yourself in a real-world scenario. Even if you wrestle for one season, you'll probably get the chance to face way more opponents in actual competition than most martial artists ever do.

Blown 89

Established Member

C2tuck

Established Member
We will always stand behind her and support her actions (as long as she wasn't an aggressor or instigator).

I disagree…kinda.

As a former runt, I got in many, many fights, and honestly lost every one. I too was a soft hearted little guy, and genuinely felt bad about hurting someone else, so I would defend myself about like your daughters friend did. It wasn’t until my parents drug me through their horrible, nasty divorce that this changed. Looking back on it now, that switch got flipped when I was carrying so much pain and anger towards the situation, that I stopped having empathy for the dip shits picking on me.

Before every fight I have ever been in, I knew I was about to be in a fight, so I told myself the next time I was going to throw the first punch and hit them as hard as I could. I figured at least I’d get one solid hit in. It worked. I beat the living shit out of the next guy that picked on me, and it felt sooo ****ing good. I had more confidence, self esteem and got to let out a lot of that pent up anger. Only took one more fight after that one, a much bigger kid, and no one messed with me anymore. Was I classified the instigator? Yep, got suspended and everything. That was the exact moment I started to stop caring about what others thought about me.

Moved to a different town a year later and had to prove myself to another class of dipshits, but it only took a couple fights and I wasn’t messed with anymore. Of course it never helped that I’ve always been a sarcastic smartass and very good at talking shit.

I’m now 6’2” 200 and haven’t been in a fight since right after high school, but to this day…I’ll always throw the first punch.

The biggest thing I drilled into my daughter and still do as she is now a young adult, is to always be aware of what’s going on around you, and if it looks bad, leave. Oh, and to never disregard that feeling you get in your stomach.

Users who are viewing this thread