Self defense

MG0h3

Established Member
I applaud you for taking this step!

I have very limited experience but I think the right answer is whatever he likes or shows interest in. You can always change later.

I’d say finding a good instructor and good class environment that he likes is more important than anything.

I’m taking BJJ but he incorporates striking as well. Learning ground control is critical in my opinion. All fights end up there. Some right off the bat.

Best fighters out there are MMA guys that employ multiple techniques.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

PC03GT

Established Member
I’m seeing more and more videos of kids being jumped on lately. I have a 10 year old son who is very soft hearted and I worry about him in today’s environment. What would be the best martial arts to put him in where he could learn to defend himself?
I'd say boxing or jujitsu. I have my son in karate right now, granted he's 5, but if he ever tried any of that on the street it wouldn't end well. At the same age as him I started boxing. We're pulling him out and going to jujitsu

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
This hits close to home. My 14 year old daughter, who is also very kind hearted, was involved in two incidents in the last year. Both had police involvement. The most recent, her and her friend were attacked at a freshman football game. Of course it was recorded so we got to see it.

What is ****ing wrong with these violent little asshats??

My daughter still has not shown any interest in taking a self defense course. After watching the video, with her, we tried to give some advice. Everyone seems to have this victim mindset. When her friend's head was getting stomped into the bleachers, the friend gave up. Everyone around viewing the fight simply recorded the incident. The friend was totally offensive. Just protecting herself. Never fighting back. We explained to our daughter the psychology of the attackers in this case. As soon as they saw weakness the intensity of the attack increased. Just like in the wild, the moment you run from a tiger, you're finished. We keep trying to talk with her about meeting violence with violence. If someone puts their hands on you, they just signed a contract. It's up to her to fulfill her end of the contract by whatever means are available. We will always stand behind her and support her actions (as long as she wasn't an aggressor or instigator). We can't keep teaching kids to be victims. Sorry if this is a tangent, but as I said, this hits close to home and still has a lot of anger and emotion tied to it.

Morgan

Established Member
Jiu-jitsu, followed by boxing/muy thai.

One of the advantages to jiu-jitsu is that it's practiced at 'nearly' full speed so that you actually use the techniques with a real opponent fighting against you. It's pretty close to real life, but with a margin of safety (the tap).

My son and daughter have both trained for several years, as have I- happy to answer any questions here and by phone.

_Snake_

Established Member
I’m seeing more and more videos of kids being jumped on lately. I have a 10 year old son who is very soft hearted and I worry about him in today’s environment. What would be the best martial arts to put him in where he could learn to defend himself?
MMA style is going to be your best bet. I also give you props for helping your son build confidence and discipline.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
This hits close to home. My 14 year old daughter, who is also very kind hearted, was involved in two incidents in the last year. Both had police involvement. The most recent, her and her friend were attacked at a freshman football game. Of course it was recorded so we got to see it.

My daughter still has not shown any interest in taking a self defense course. After watching the video, with her, we tried to give some advice. Everyone seems to have this victim mindset. When her friend's head was getting stomped into the bleachers, the friend gave up. Everyone around viewing the fight simply recorded the incident. The friend was totally offensive. Just protecting herself. Never fighting back. We explained to our daughter the psychology of the attackers in this case. As soon as they saw weakness the intensity of the attack increased. Just like in the wild, the moment you run from a tiger, you're finished. We keep trying to talk with her about meeting violence with violence. If someone puts their hands on you, they just signed a contract. It's up to her to fulfill her end of the contract by whatever means are available. We will always stand behind her and support her actions (as long as she wasn't an aggressor or instigator). We can't keep teaching kids to be victims. Sorry if this is a tangent, but as I said, this hits close to home and still has a lot of anger and emotion tied to it.

Sorry to hear.

It definitely seems like it's girls fighting these days at school much more than boys. That's how it is out here anyway.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member

Sorry to hear about your daughter. What were the ****ing men doing?

Morgan

Established Member

Make her go to jiu-jitsu classes- I'd even say that if you don't do this, you're placing her squarely on a track of despair leading into adulthood. I say this only knowing what is written in the post, no disrespect intended.

She will gain confidence and learn how to use an opponent's weight and aggression against them. I think the question to ask is- do you want to raise a victim?

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member

I'd echo anything that your son likes and gives him confidence and discipline to stand his ground for himself AND others is the right choice.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sorry to hear about your daughter. What were the ****ing men doing?
Recording. I do have a copy of the video but I don't want to put it on my youtube channel. If there is another way to post it, let me know. When you see it, you'll know the problem...

Last edited:

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Our daughter (7) is in Taekwondo and I agree with PC03GT, even though she is sparring in this class if she tries the majority of her "forms" in a real situation its not going to go well for her. I will say this though, the kids naturally discard the "forms" and regress to what works: simple strikes, blocking and movement. I think any form of martial art or combat sport that actively employs sparring will be a good move.

With that we ALWAYS ingrain into her that if someone tries to harm her that all of the sparring rules are out the window and that face, throat and nut shots are totally ok. The school cant come out and say that so we make it a point to. She is very kind hearted and naturally doesnt want to hurt people but we have seen very good progress with not holding herself back because she "doesnt want to hurt anyone".

VegasMichael

Established Member
Like others have said, jiu-jitsu is great, as is wrestling only you won't find many places teaching strictly wrestling. Knowing how to throw a good punch or two is good as well. An mma gym would be ideal. I would honestly steer clear of any karate only places even though they are popular.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Like others have said, jiu-jitsu is great, as is wrestling only you won't find many places teaching strictly wrestling. Knowing how to throw a good punch or two is good as well. An mma gym would be ideal. I would honestly steer clear of any karate only places even though they are popular.
Finding an MMA, Boxing or Jiujitsu place that has kid classes isnt that easy to be honest. We ended up with Taekwondo because an hour drive one way for a kid class was not feasible, ATA seems to be everywhere and a good stepping stone for a child before progressing to something else later when they are a little older.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Finding an MMA, Boxing or Jiujitsu place that has kid classes isnt that easy to be honest. We ended up with Taekwondo because an hour drive one way for a kid class was not feasible, ATA seems to be everywhere and a good stepping stone for a child before progressing to something else later when they are a little older.
If it's all that's available within driving distance then I agree with your decision.

When I lived in Vegas jiu-jitsu, mma and boxing gyms were everywhere and many had programs for youngsters. I understand it's not like that everywhere.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I know teaching self-defense is best left to the experts, but sometimes you can find videos online that you can use to teach some moves to your child yourself.

Obviously you cannot go full speed on your kid, but giving them some basics at home may allow them to understand what to expect once they go to class.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
boxing is the only logical answer. Learn footwork, defense and head movement you are already well ahead of the average brawler

muay thai would be even better but the training is too hard on the body. I think its too intense/dangerous for a 10yr old

do not recommend BJJ as your primary defense. Definitely dont wanna go to the ground in a street fight unless its absolutely unavoidable. That increases your chances of getting kicked in the head, stomped or your head bashed on concrete. Things that dont happen in grappling competitions. Just my 2 cents

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Recording. I do have a copy of the video but I don't want to put it on my youtube channel. If there is another way to post it, let me know. When you see it, you'll know the problem...

You can post it on your YouTube channel as unlisted.

Users who are viewing this thread