Sealing Floor Tile Grout, Yes or No?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Been cleaning the grout on my tile floors. Complete PITA. They haven't been done in 10 years and they were really bad. I recently removed a area rug that was under the breakfast nook table and holy wow what a difference in the area where the rug was.
Should the grout be sealed, and if so, any recommendations on what to use?
This stuff is worth it's weight in gold BTW. It makes a complete PITA job into just a PITA. Lol
http://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-32-fl-oz-Grout-Cleaner-and-Whitener-ZU104632/100619266

RDLightning01

Young Svt Poster
Established Member
Ive never went through the trouble of grout sealer. But like you suggested, if you like the look of fresh undirty grout. you can use a grout sealer, Think of it as waxing your car

ur bittn

By the snake
Established Member
I have always used this stuff,
Grout-Tile-Sealer.jpg

04MysticCobra

Established Member
I have always liked using a grout sealer on my tile floors. Some grout that even has been cleaned/sealed will get dirty over time beyond cleaning especially white and if its a high traffic area. Grout not sealed will get dirty faster. Two different ways I have used in the past is to clean and seal the grout but when its too hard to get the stains off especially white I like using a grout colored sealer.

http://www.groutshields.com/

I have been using products from Custom Building products for over 30 years and Home Depot carries all of their sealers.

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Flooring...rials-Sealers-Tile-Grout-Sealers/N-5yc1vZcdtp

But when I have done tile jobs in the past and its been many I always use a sealer additive mixed in the grout and it does a pretty good job keeping the grout the clean.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
Did a ton of tile in the old house, used a aerosol sealer every time. Worked great and a breeze to install.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Thanks, it's a tan grout. I guess I'll seal after it dries in a few days.
Keep the replies coming and my knees and back hate me. Lol

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I have always liked using a grout sealer on my tile floors. Some grout that even has been cleaned/sealed will get dirty over time beyond cleaning especially white and if its a high traffic area. Grout not sealed will get dirty faster. Two different ways I have used in the past is to clean and seal the grout but when its too hard to get the stains off especially white I like using a grout colored sealer.

http://www.groutshields.com/

I have been using products from Custom Building products for over 30 years and Home Depot carries all of their sealers.

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Flooring...rials-Sealers-Tile-Grout-Sealers/N-5yc1vZcdtp

But when I have done tile jobs in the past and its been many I always use a sealer additive mixed in the grout and it does a pretty good job keeping the grout the clean.
Damn, some of that is expensive. Any one you prefer?

Thabeast

Established Member
As a professional carpet, upholstery, and tile cleaner I would steer clear of the color seal products. The aerosols work well as does the DuPont stonetech sealers.

Once it's clean clean it with just a steam mop. Most of the soil we see on tile and grout is chemical residue from over use of cleaning products.

04MysticCobra

Established Member
Damn, some of that is expensive. Any one you prefer?

I have used this TileLab sealer in the past and it works great. Never used the spray but its available too. I just did a re-grout of my main bathroom tile which is white but used the grout stain blocker from custom building products mixed in with the grout and it holds up great.
I like using the Hyde grout removal tool when I do re-grouts and its such a great tool. Makes it so easy to get out old grout.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-Building-Products-TileLab-6-oz-Grout-Sealer-TLGS6Z/100041610

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
As a professional carpet, upholstery, and tile cleaner I would steer clear of the color seal products. The aerosols work well as does the DuPont stonetech sealers.

Once it's clean clean it with just a steam mop. Most of the soil we see on tile and grout is chemical residue from over use of cleaning products.
Yeah, we just mop with vinegar and water. Bare foot and dogs doesn't help. Lol

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
What a great thread, because we're just about to clean the grout in our kitchen and hallway. And I'm paying attention to any and all tips. We did a small area a couple of months ago just using a Mr. Clean pad, and it worked pretty well. But I'm liking the grout brushes on the Home Depot website and the Zep Commercial grout cleaner Brad recommended. I'm going to try that combo. Then I'll seal the grout with a spray sealer. Just not sure which one.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
IMG_2514.JPG
IMG_2512.JPG
IMG_2512.JPG
What a great thread, because we're just about to clean the grout in our kitchen and hallway. And I'm paying attention to any and all tips. We did a small area a couple of months ago just using a Mr. Clean pad, and it worked pretty well. But I'm liking the grout brushes on the Home Depot website and the Zep Commercial grout cleaner Brad recommended. I'm going to try that combo. Then I'll seal the grout with a spray sealer. Just not sure which one.
No even dry in this picture.
The cleaner is unreal Bob and highly rated. Cheaper at the orange store than Amazon too. I was amazed at the old vs new reviews on Amazon because they said was better before. I really find that hard to believe because this cuts the crud and build up unreal. The odor is pleasant too IMO as I read negative about that also.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
No even dry in this picture.
The cleaner is unreal Bob and highly rated. Cheaper at the orange store than Amazon too. I was amazed at the old vs new reviews on Amazon because they said was better before. I really find that hard to believe because this cuts the crud and build up unreal. The odor is pleasant too IMO as I read negative about that also.[/QUOTE]

Brutal Metal

Established Member
mine looks fine without sealer but I take my shoes of before entering the house same for guests. I just mop with a hot water/white vinegar combo.

TxCobra76

Established Member
I use to lay tile professionally and I always seal my grout. Used many different kinds of sealers over the years. Seems like the aerosols don't last as long as the liquid sealers. As far as cleaning grout I mix water with muratic acid in 50/50 mix. scrub on grout and rinse off before solution dries with clean fresh water. The smell is bad but it works great. Never use vinegar to maintain tile floors because the acid in it eats off the grout sealer. Good luck fellas!

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I use to lay tile professionally and I always seal my grout. Used many different kinds of sealers over the years. Seems like the aerosols don't last as long as the liquid sealers. As far as cleaning grout I mix water with muratic acid in 50/50 mix. scrub on grout and rinse off before solution dries with clean fresh water. The smell is bad but it works great. Never use vinegar to maintain tile floors because the acid in it eats off the grout sealer. Good luck fellas!

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
What would you recommend cleaning?

Beavis281

Established Member
I have done quite a bit of tile in my day. One of my best friends did it for a living. He would always use epoxy grout. Says it resisted stains WAY better.

I never had luck with sealing grout. If I had traditional grout, I would chip it out, and replace with epoxy

Users who are viewing this thread