Science on Creating Living Matter from Nonliving Matter!

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
In relationship to a very popular thread I started here, scientists are actually on the brink of creating living matter from nonliving matter! Until the scientific work mentioned in the article is peer-reviewed (scrutinized and successfully reproduced by other disinterested parties) and published in a major science journal, we cannot claim success in this achievement. But according to scientist Jack Szostak, we are very close:

September 8, 2008Biologists on the Verge of Creating New Form of Life
A team of biologists and chemists is closing in on bringing non-living matter to life...a lab led by Jack Szostak, a molecular biologist at Harvard Medical School, is building simple cell models that can almost be called life...Szostak's protocells are built from fatty molecules that can trap bits of nucleic acids that contain the source code for replication. Combined with a process that harnesses external energy from the sun or chemical reactions, they could form a self-replicating, evolving system that satisfies the conditions of life, but isn't anything like life on earth now, but might represent life as it began or could exist elsewhere in the universe.

Here is an image of a protocell:

protocell.jpg

And here is a short animation and narration of a protocell forming from fatty acids:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhUIIONM6A0"]YouTube - A Protocell Forming from Fatty Acids[/ame]

The philosophical and religious implications of this discovery are ENORMOUS!

:rockon:

jsd512

Wannabe Ghostbuster
Established Member
Interesting indeed and pretty amazing but this is not creating life from nothing. They did start from something (fatty molecules) to get to something while using solar energy from the sun. A far cry from what God performed but still cool.

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
jsd512 said:
Interesting indeed and pretty amazing but this is not creating life from nothing. They did start from something (fatty molecules) to get to something while using solar energy from the sun. A far cry from what God performed but still cool.

If this work is legit and repeatable, then we will have discovered the first natural process by which a self-replicating organism can arise from nonliving matter. Invoking a supernatural cause for the origin of life will no longer be necessary. The only prerequisite for the process of Darwinian evolution is a self-replicating entity. And now we have a natural means by which this can be provided!

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
If you're a religious folk please dont start science bashing.

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
Potentially earth-shattering.

...if the black hole doesn't get here first.

Cobra Jet 429

Hot Rod Lincoln
Established Member
Potentially earth-shattering.

...if the black hole doesn't get here first.

well they fire the sum-bitch up and I'm still here!
I officially couldn't give 10 tits for tots at this point.
As for the thread, I'm happy to see science pwning
religion in the arse with only sand paper as lubricant...
Where is your god now?
Grrrrr.gif

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
well they fire the sum-bitch up and I'm still here!

Well, "they say" that if it creates a black hole it will take around four years before we actually see it. Seems like a while, but on a cosmic scale that's pretty quick.

CFRacer22

Established Member
If this work is legit and repeatable, then we will have discovered the first natural process by which a self-replicating organism can arise from nonliving matter. Invoking a supernatural cause for the origin of life will no longer be necessary. The only prerequisite for the process of Darwinian evolution is a self-replicating entity. And now we have a natural means by which this can be provided!

exactly, because creating a "living" thing from a nonliving thing in an EXTREMELY controlled environment that has been tested and retested and retested * infinity compares soo well to the complexity and INSANELY EXTREME large variety of living organisms on this planet :rollseyes

funny how people that don't belive think just because there is science there can also be nothing supernatural, yet believers don't say "There is a God, therefore there can be NO science, science is all fake!" I believe in God, and I believe in science, but just because a scientist can create something "living" does not dispute the idea of a God, or anything supernatural for that matter. why can't both these things exist?

Last edited:

Terrminatted

Turtle Man
Established Member
exactly, because creating a "living" thing from a nonliving thing in an EXTREMELY controlled environment that has been tested and retested and retested * infinity compares soo well to the complexity and INSANELY EXTREME large variety of living organisms on this planet :rollseyes

funny how people that don't belive think just because there is science there can also be nothing supernatural, yet believers don't say "There is a God, therefore there can be NO science, science is all fake!" I believe in God, and I believe in science, but just because a scientist can create something "living" does not dispute the idea of a God, or anything supernatural for that matter. why can't both these things exist?

agreed.

Users who are viewing this thread