Sam Crumpacker shows why auto racing is a real sport!

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Sam thanks a TON for coming in and posting the tech and some of your story!:rockon:

Those vids ROCK!

I don't think a lot of our guys here realize, how awesome this car hobby car really can be if they choose to take it in the direction you did.

You pretty much have to start out a bit slow and easy both on track and with the spending, but as you can see, it can be UNBELIEVABLY EXCITING AND REWARDING!

The only wheel to wheel experience I have is 5 years of Ice Racing in Central New York.
It results in adrenalin levels that are hard to put into words.:rockon:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
How bout some rain racing from Jan - MSRH Race 4, 2011 on Vimeo

Holy CRAP! Looks like turn one clock wise at MSR Houston was slicker than OWL SHIT!!:eek:

Looks like most or all of you guys were still on the regular slicks. Yes? No?

You did pretty good! Almost looked a little like one of my old Ice Races..LOL! It looked really slick out there!:rockon:

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
Excellent driving skills & there was a lot of patience practiced there. The Mustang set a much cleaner line & waited for the right moment. The Mustang looked much more planted & composed in each & every corner that was stabbed. The rear end of the Camaro looked like it was a bit of a handful so that driver was no rookie either. That was some of the closest "head to head" racing that I have seen in some time & because if that I thorough enjoyed watching every moment of it. :rockon: I also saw the red or orange mustang in the rear view mirror as well. :eek:

Congrats on the won buddy. You deserved it after demonstrating those skills & practicing that precision... :beer:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That was so awesome. I was literally on the edge of my seat. IMO this far exceeds what we now call Nascar Sprint/Nationwide Cup racing. Nice watching real production cars (albeit modified) racing. :rockon:

s_x_i

Established Member
I met Crumpacker racing on the service road :D

I only wish I had as much time as you have to go racing shit I can't even find an afternoon to go button up my pos over at evan's place. Great job mate... this guy = very jealous!! :rockon:

leftlane86gt

Established Member
I wanted to turn off the video but was sucked in by close the racing was. You did an awesome job. Congrats on your win. What kinda camera are you shooting the video with?

95riosnake

Established Member
That looks like a blast! It makes me wish I had room to store a track car (I couldn't bring myself to risk trashing mine), there's a nice track about an hour from me called Beaverrun.

It's nice to hear how well all the racers in your series get along, I'm so used to people having the "every man for himself" attitude in life that it would be nice to experience some of that once in a while.

Oh and this might be a stupid question, but what purpose does the harness attached to the dash serve? Just curious.

Last edited:

forcefedcobra

Established Member
That looks like a blast! It makes me wish I had room to store a track car (I couldn't bring myself to risk trashing mine), there's a nice track about an hour from me called Beaverrun.

It's nice to hear how well all the racers in your series get along, I'm so used to people having the "every man for himself" attitude in life that it would be nice to experience some of that once in a while.

Oh and this might be a stupid question, but what purpose does the harness attached to the dash serve? Just curious.

You'll find that with most all "on track racers" that the type of car you drive doesnt matter. At our last svtoa track guys run event in Oklahoma a vette club from texas came up and they were the best bunch of guys to be around. They were sharing pavilions, food, drink, and friendship. The fraternity of the track dawg is all about road racing not car brands.

The harness attached to the dash is for safety.

hi ofcr cobra

Track Junkie
Established Member
Thanks for all the compliments guys!!!

Looks like most or all of you guys were still on the regular slicks. Yes? No?

I was on a fresh set of RA1s shaved to 4/32... slicks with a couple 1/4" groves. Some of the guys were on full tread RA1s, they move water much better than mine... unfortunately, I don't have the funds to carry a set of full tread 'rains'... any sponsors tuned in??? :thumbsup:

It felt like an ice race for sure!

Thanks posting up the video James, I'll have to start frequenting SVTP more often... I faded off after I sold the terminator. The racecar is an SVT... kinda.

I met Crumpacker racing on the service road :D

In Mexico... and yeah, his 600+ hp KB put a hurtin' on me. :burn:

No stupid questions, I love talking about this stuff! It's called a right side net and it's there to catch my head and shoulder in the event of a passenger side impact (T-Bone). There are more expensive seats with "halo's" to catch your head, but my seat is one of the cheaper ($400) models. :dw: With a halo seat, you don't need a right-side net (i.e. Nascar).

Halo seat - Sparco*Circuit Seat*-*SafeRacer

Where can one find out more information about these type events and cars?

The events are run by NASA (National Auto Sport Association) and the series I run in is Camaro-Mustang Challenge 2. The cars can generally be build for $10k-$15k or bought used in the $6k-$10k range.

These sites will help with more info:
nasaproracing.com
camaromustangchallenge.com

To get started, find a local road course and find out what groups rent the track and run Driving Education events. It's all about seat time when you first get going... it doesn't matter what car or how well it's set up.

feel free to email me with questions too - samcrumpacker{at}gmail

Last edited:

hi ofcr cobra

Track Junkie
Established Member
You'll find that with most all "on track racers" that the type of car you drive doesnt matter. At our last svtoa track guys run event in Oklahoma a vette club from texas came up and they were the best bunch of guys to be around. They were sharing pavilions, food, drink, and friendship. The fraternity of the track dawg is all about road racing not car brands.

Completely true! We're running Hallett next month, if you're not too far, you should come hang out. We have CMC cars from 3 different regions show up to our 'Hallett Summer Shootout' ... it's likely we'll have close to 30 cars in class!!! We also have a helluva party with plenty of BBQ and Booze on Saturday night. Everyone is invited! There are usually a few drivers that miss qual and sometimes the first race Sunday due to hangovers. :beer:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Where can one find out more information about these type events and cars?

http://www.drivenasafl.com/speed/
You can do an HPDE/open track event with almost any street car to get a taste.
I can't emphasize enough how rewarding this version of the popular "car hobby" actually is. This is it for me, there is simply nothing I have ever done in a car that was more fun............... with my pants still on.:p

I wanted to turn off the video but was sucked in by close the racing was. You did an awesome job. Congrats on your win. What kinda camera are you shooting the video with?

I'm not 100% but I think he has a pair of Go-Pro HDs front and rear.

That was so awesome. I was literally on the edge of my seat. IMO this far exceeds what we now call Nascar Sprint/Nationwide Cup racing. Nice watching real production cars (albeit modified) racing. :rockon:

I was on the edge of my seat too!
I've run that track but never anywhere near that fast!
That was an enormous rush to watch that play out, because it really felt like I was there!

I have some different lines to try next time I go, especially turn one!
I am using way too much track and slowing way too soon for turn one.

Thanks for the lesson Sam!:rockon::beer:

Last edited:

forcefedcobra

Established Member
Completely true! We're running Hallett next month, if you're not too far, you should come hang out. We have CMC cars from 3 different regions show up to our 'Hallett Summer Shootout' ... it's likely we'll have close to 30 cars in class!!! We also have a helluva party with plenty of BBQ and Booze on Saturday night. Everyone is invited! There are usually a few drivers that miss qual and sometimes the first race Sunday due to hangovers. :beer:

What's the date? I'm going through locomotive engineer training at work right now (my normal tracks run right by the toll booth at Hallett there. I'll be in kansas city for two weeks for final testing may 29th through june 9th. After thats all done I have a couple weeks of leave that I can take if the railroad will let me (stupid busy right now). I would love to come take some pics and hang in the pits! Might even get the cobra out rather than the svt focus.

Was hoping to be able to meet up with Bruce Cameron, Joe Johnson and some others at the shelby event but it seems they arent going to be able to make it.

hi ofcr cobra

Track Junkie
Established Member
I can't emphasize enough how rewarding this version of the popular "car hobby" actually is. This is it for me, there is simply nothing I have ever done in a car that was more fun............... with my pants still on.:p

I have some different lines to try next time I go, especially turn one!
I am using way too much track and slowing way too soon for turn one.

Thanks for the lesson Sam!:rockon::beer:

I completely agree, driving a road course requires so much more than a well prepped car... that's why it's so addicting I think. You can always get better and you're always learning.

My low-line into 1 has alot of advantages during the race (attacking & defending)... the high line can be just as fast though. Try 'em both out and see what you like. The low line upsets the car less across the transition, like hitting a steep driveway at an angle, that's one of the reasons I like it.

What's the date?

June 11 & 12

I hope you can make it.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
June 11 & 12

I hope you can make it.

that might just work out perfect! I'll take my final test on June 9th and then head back to Enid. Then I'll have to get a check ride on the train with my boss before I am released to work and I highly doubt he will want to do that on the weekend.:beer:

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
Sam, this is Tony, my dad and I purchased the land from your dad in Pearland, TX. to build the carwash. He sent me the email with the videos/pic a few hours ago and just like everyone else in this thread, i was glued to the screen. Very impressive driving!!!!
I'm looking to pick up a set of wheels/tires to use for the track since my current setup isn't very desirable for this kind of racing. I'd really like to give the on track events a shot, seems like it's the racing you get the most out of.
Please have your dad pass along my email address so the next time you're in town for an event i can come check it out.....and if there are any beginner events coming up i'd love to make it out to those as well
Great driving & look forward to meeting you!
-Tony

Users who are viewing this thread