ROKU. How many of you have it? How do you like it?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
How does picture quality with these non-cable services compare to HD cable? Are the cable HD channels superior in quality? Or is quality the same either way.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
How does picture quality with these non-cable services compare to HD cable? Are the cable HD channels superior in quality? Or is quality the same either way.

They are very good. My $10 HD antenna from walmart is every bit as good as HD cable and I'm not kidding.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
My wife and I dropped cable over 3 years ago and haven't looked back. We have a Roku and love it. We're set up with Netflix, HuluPlus, Amazon Prime, and a friend of mine lets me use his HBO GO account, so we never run out of anything to watch. Plenty of apps to choose from, too. We also have a digital antenna that gets us about 16 local channels including the big four, CW, three public television channels, and 4 retro channels that play a lot of what my wife and I enjoyed when we were younger and know is safe for our son to watch.

Here's the antenna:

https://www.antennasdirect.com/store/ClearStream-4-Ultra-Long-Range-Outdoor-DTV-Antenna.html

View attachment 22170

Amazon has it cheaper, around $130, but we picked it up directly from the manufacturer during a sale for $90, and that included the J-mount. You can mount it in an attic if you don't want to see it on the outside of your house.

I was going to try to Amazon Fire TV, but it doesn't have HBO Go yet, so I'm waiting. :) I might pick it up, because our Roku is 3 years old, and I have to reboot it once every few days. Not a big deal to me.

I purchased and installed that antenna last week. Got rid of cable and phone, then moved to the fastest internet I can get in the area. Ended up saving about $130/month. Will only take about 5 months to cover all the hardware I ended up buying (antenna package, new modem, and new router).

I think we'll be picking up an Amazon Fire in the next couple weeks.

CobraBob, the picture I'm getting with the above antenna is as good, if not better, than HD cable. We get 14 channels and should get 3 more when another local station switches to UHF.

brys00gt

Established Member
I have no clue about these things but I am looking into it. I have 4 tv. How would I go about setting it up to work on all of them?

jdoyle

Computer Guru?
Established Member
I have no clue about these things but I am looking into it. I have 4 tv. How would I go about setting it up to work on all of them?

You want 1 roku to work on 4 tvs without moving the roku? I don't believe that can be done. You would have to get one for each tv.

spike_africa

Established Member
I have a Roku 1 and a Chromecast and my PS3 is setup for media. PS3 I use all the time for the living room. Chromecast is in the master, and Roku is in the guest room. Roku is the slowest responding of all of them. It is the older version and I would highly suggest the 3 if you want a Roku. It's content is cool, however all the free stuff is clips found on youtube or crackle which is also on Chromecast. For the money Chromecast is faster, cheaper, lets you use your phone as a remote which is great. I am giving away the Roku for another Chromecast.

allgo90

Established Member
If you mount the hd antenna in attic can you split them into all the cable outlets?

Users who are viewing this thread