ROKU. How many of you have it? How do you like it?

Jbstang87

Established Member
Didnt like my roku. Found my ps4 could play all the movie apps i needed and my computer can download tv shows right after release

wundrbird

Proud Father
Established Member
I can't get Watch ESPN on the PS3 or HBOGo on the Roku. For some reason the companies just don't allow it, which is basically complete bullshit. Anything streaming on FX can only be watched on the computer or an ipad, basically no other devices.

I watched HBO GO today on my Roku. (I'm hooked on The Leftovers.)

I thought about a PS3 or PS4, but I don't game, so for less than a hundred bucks the Roku was a no-brainer. It has more available content than I'll ever need.

dynasty_v6

Established Member
Are there any real advantage to a Roku vs. a PS3.
Yes! The PS3 Netflix app needs updating about once a month without warning. It can take about 5-10 min, very annoying when you just sat down with some good food to watch your favorite show. Also some of the ROKU models have a headphone jack on the remote. Tons of free content too. The ROKU will let you cast YouTube videos from your phone.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
For Netflix, Hulu or Amazon, it'll be just as up to date as the PS3 content is.

So keep the PS3's or go with this and just use the PS3 for blue ray and games? I really dont game much on the PS3 so it would only be used for blue ray.

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
I'm another Roku3 user. Had it now for about 6 months I'd say and love it. Got rid of satellite and the $150 bill that went with it. Granted it takes some adjusting at first but now I hardly notice. As noted as well, I have login for the Watch ESPN as well so I still get a few live games as well.

It runs smooth and has only ever froze up maybe once or twice and I think it was more on the internet connection. Other than that picture quality is always top notch and works great. Fully recommend it!

Something about paying $168 (14/mo) a year for tv vs. the $1800 ($150/mo) I was paying just feels great!

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I have a Google TV box w/ bluray and it's the bomb. I'm actually angry they were discontinued, I would buy one for every room in the house. I've been without cable for 3 years now and don't miss it at all. Netflix and an HD antenna for local channels is plenty for me!

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
My only downfall with the Streaming side of TV vs Cable is we live in the BFE so to speak so I tried the HD antenna for locals and what not but couldn't pick up crap!

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member
I have a Google TV box w/ bluray and it's the bomb. I'm actually angry they were discontinued, I would buy one for every room in the house. I've been without cable for 3 years now and don't miss it at all. Netflix and an HD antenna for local channels is plenty for me!
They're supposedly coming back.

For my uses, my Vizio SMARTTV has been great, but now that I'm working away from home for months a time I picked up a Chromecast and so far I've loved it. It's an incredible buy at $35 IMO, I can stream literally anything my phone can stream which takes care of all my entertainment needs.

Top Fuel Friday

Dang!
Established Member
I have the roku and the Amazon for tv. One of the first posters was right, the roku idea it's great but the hardware can be a bit flakey. We had a few issues with ours, but for the most part it works fine.

I really love the fire TV the most of the two, the picture quality was much improved compared to the roku (on Netflix and prime), voice search it's surprisingly good, and the device is slick and blend in well with you tv equipment.

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
I have the roku and the Amazon for tv. One of the first posters was right, the roku idea it's great but the hardware can be a bit flakey. We had a few issues with ours, but for the most part it works fine.

I really love the fire TV the most of the two, the picture quality was much improved compared to the roku (on Netflix and prime), voice search it's surprisingly good, and the device is slick and blend in well with you tv equipment.

that's what I was waiting to hear. I was really hoping the Fire tv would be an improvement.

texaswrx

Established Member
Roku 3, netflix,Prime and Plex.
Several websites for free channels as well. They are hit and miss, but it only takes a second to remove them. The addition of the Youtube channel is nice for watching automotive series. I would like to try out the Chromecast on another tv.

jdoyle

Computer Guru?
Established Member

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
So keep the PS3's or go with this and just use the PS3 for blue ray and games? I really dont game much on the PS3 so it would only be used for blue ray.

If you already have the PS3's in the rooms that you'll want to watch Netflix, Hulu, etc, then keep them. I find that it's easier to navigate Netflix and Hulu with the PS3 compared to the streaming device I have. Add that I can watch Blu-ray or play games is a bonus for me.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member

Android TV will be coming out soon. All the Android/Google blogs rip on the Google TV all the time and they say the new box will be a drastic improvement.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Chromecast IMO is the best way to go on most TV's. Netflix, Amazon Prime (yes there is a way), Hulu, HBOGO, etc and you can download an app for DLNA streaming from almost any device. MKV, FLAC, WMV, etc are all welcomed with an app. For $35, you can't ask for anything better.

jdoyle

Computer Guru?
Established Member
Chromecast IMO is the best way to go on most TV's. Netflix, Amazon Prime (yes there is a way), Hulu, HBOGO, etc and you can download an app for DLNA streaming from almost any device. MKV, FLAC, WMV, etc are all welcomed with an app. For $35, you can't ask for anything better.

name of app?

Users who are viewing this thread