ROKU. How many of you have it? How do you like it?

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
I was originally going to get a Roku 3, but read that they were region blocked to Canada, so I went with the WD Play instead.
I have two WD Play's for the rooms without smart TV's, and they work great.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
have a roku2 and a roku streaming stick. between them, rabbit ears, and a plex media server, i have everything i need. saved over $100/m.

FIVEHOE

Established Member
We have roku at work and honestly I do not like it compared to other options out there. Chromecast would be my pick before roku

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Are there any real advantage to a Roku vs. a PS3.

Depends on what you want to watch and if you still have cable.

If you are keeping cable, search for your cable provider + PS3 or Roku and see what comes up. I know Comcast won't allow certain channels to be played on certain devices. I can't get Watch ESPN on the PS3 or HBOGo on the Roku. For some reason the companies just don't allow it, which is basically complete bullshit. Anything streaming on FX can only be watched on the computer or an ipad, basically no other devices.

If you aren't keeping cable, it really limits what you can watch on either one. Everything is subscription based (Amazon, Netflix, Hulu+, Redbox Instant, etc) unless you can get a friend's cable log-in info. Then, both of them are basically the same, just use a different UI. I use my PS3 in the living room for Amazon and Netflix, bought a Roku for the bedroom.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Last edited:

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
I have a couple of Rokus at home.

I combine it with Plex on a machine I use as a media server that hosts nearly two terabytes worth of videos and stream HD movies and TV shows to my two main TVs (living room, master bedroom).

Last edited:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I have an Amazon Fire, if you have a prime account, then many of the movies|shows will be free for Prime Members. I also have the netflix|app running on the fire, happy so far. May add hulu plus as well. In any event still a lot cheaper than cable/dish/directtv etc.... As some others have already mentioned, you will want to have decent internet service to your area. I usually get 20-25 Mbps, so I am fairly happy. You want it patched|wired to your network, the wireless connection|quality suck ass for HD on the fire, wished it had support for 802.11 AC.

Last edited:

B-O-B'03

Established Member
My 6 year old BD player will stream from most/all of the places mentioned so far and several others.

The smart TV and BD player that I installed in my son's room, after he moved out will do the same.

When I first looked at the Roku they did not support multichannel audio, so that was a no-go for me.

We watch a lot of stuff from Amazon, since I am a prime member and get it free.

Good luck with your search.

-Brian

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Can someone explain to me what a Roku is? I have a PS3 and my wife and i watch stuff on Netflix and Hulu but i have never heard of a Roku? Is this like a new cable system or company? How much cheaper is it than cable/t1 line?

EDIT: looked online and understand now. still need an internet provider....might be an option for our new house.

Last edited:

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
So answer me this, chromecast or roku? Also are the shows up to date? Like do you watch them at the specific times like cable?

Last edited:

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
I picked up a Roku3 refurb from woot because my bd player would go back and forth from HD to SD and it would freeze up at times. We don't have any problems with the Roku. Combined with Plex I can just download whatever I don't find on Netlix or Amazon.

jdoyle

Computer Guru?
Established Member
I was originally going to get a Roku 3, but read that they were region blocked to Canada, so I went with the WD Play instead.
I have two WD Play's for the rooms without smart TV's, and they work great.

I have Western digital media players as well. I had a roku 3 and sold it for the WDMPs because the Roku didn't have the codec support like the WDMP did to play local files. Some local video files would have video but no audio or audio but no video, etc. where the WDMP plays ANYTHING. The Roku 3 was FAST though. And doesn't the remote send the signal through the WiFi connection or something, allowing you to completely hide the Roku box away but still control it?

now i just need an antenna in my attic so i can watch TV.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Something like this seems like a dandy idea but I'm curious how comparable it is to the channels/programming on the satellite and what type of speed you need in order to run it as best as possible.

jdoyle

Computer Guru?
Established Member
Something like this seems like a dandy idea but I'm curious how comparable it is to the channels/programming on the satellite and what type of speed you need in order to run it as best as possible.

i believe you need 3mb/s to stream HD content. Can anyone confirm? Please correct me if I am wrong.

EDIT: I found something where Netflix said 5.0 mb/s for HD, 7 for Super HD and 12 for 3D.

Satyr

Established Member
I've not had success streaming HD with anything under 12 mb/s. Same with online gaming. That's been the transition line from acceptable to serious trade-offs. YMMV.
As for Roku...I don't have one but I've used my friend's a few times at his place. Nothing that really interested me about it when most blu-ray players include the same things. I have a media server with XBMC and it handles a hell of a lot more media (plus, there are a myriad of free TV/movie options).

I think it's a fine system, but I believe there are better/cheaper/more efficient alternatives.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I have 1.5 to 3mbps dsl and have no issues streaming HD on Netflix, Hulu or Amazon. The only time I'd get buffering is if I was downloading something else from the network at the same time.

D2Fresh16

Established Member
I have one. It works awesome for $50. I have the Pandora and YouTube apps which come in handy. I last use Amazon Prime and Netflix. The movies are okay, although I wish there were more newer ones.

Satyr

Established Member
I have 1.5 to 3mbps dsl and have no issues streaming HD on Netflix, Hulu or Amazon. The only time I'd get buffering is if I was downloading something else from the network at the same time.

Really? Wow. Are they 720p?
It's been a while since I've had Netflix (~5 years now), but I even had buffering issues with SD videos back then.

Perhaps my experiences are too outdated. I do know that my 18 MB connection still struggles with buffering full-size BR movies off my server.

Users who are viewing this thread