Review: 99/01 Cobra & 03/04 Mach1 Accufab 60mm Throttlebody

Mach0ne351

Established Member
wals9331 said:
After reading directions for irs stuff....parts may sit and collect dust for a few months. I would MUCH rather change out a throttle body then do the 80+ steps i just read about....OUCH :lol:

why do you think ive had my MM IRS Subframe bushings sitting in a bag for almost 2yrs? hahahahahahahahahahaha

nazman, excellent post. awesome how you pointed out the gains through the rpm range, instead of just "peak" hp gain.

marek

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
Mach0ne351 said:
why do you think ive had my MM IRS Subframe bushings sitting in a bag for almost 2yrs? hahahahahahahahahahaha

nazman, excellent post. awesome how you pointed out the gains through the rpm range, instead of just "peak" hp gain.

marek

Thank God I am not the only one....mine have been sitting for about 1.5 years :beer: . Its all coming out in the winter i think....by then i should have a damn garage :thumbsup:

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
Mach0ne351 said:
i think so :) i heard the easiest way to get the stock ones are at to get a torch, and melt the faaackers off :rockon:

I am soooo keeping that in mind, because i heard it SUCKS to get them out. MM even has a special tool to remove them and such :lol:

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
Mach0ne351 said:
i think so :) i heard the easiest way to get the stock ones are at to get a torch, and melt the faaackers off :rockon:

I helped an '03 guy changes his and yeah, it's a total pita. I wish we had thought of the torch, although I'm not sure it's all that safe down there around the gas tank . . . : :burn: :lol1: Another tip I've heard is that since the new urothane bushings are harder obviously they are definitely a pita x 2 to get back in but if you freeze them over night in your freezer they'll contract ever so slightly and go in a tad bit easier. I'm definitely gonna try that when I do mine . . . and like you guys I've had all of my suspension pieces in the garage for 1.5 yrs . . . :(

At any rate, back to this new TB, I have two questions:

1). How beneficial would this new larger TB for someone w/ bolt-ons, a ported intake plus a 100 or 150 shot N2O? Theoretically that would put me in the 450 - 500 hp range?

2). Are any of you N2O guys running more than a 100 shot using a larger maf like this one from SCT? SCT Big Air MAF It's my understanding that the stock MAF for or cars is good to about 400 hp or so, so if I'm pushing past that point I keep wondering if I will need a bigger MAF like this one.

. . . I understand that there would need to be some requisite fuel system upgrades and tuning in order to make all of this work safely but I'm just trying to get a game plan together.

COBRABRAD

Established Member
Back to the original topic, I sent an email to accufab. "There is a debate over at SVTPERFORMANCE.COM about your TB, as a potential customer I would like to see your input on this.
http://svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259970&page=1"

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
COBRABRAD said:
Back to the original topic, I sent an email to accufab. "There is a debate over at SVTPERFORMANCE.COM about your TB, as a potential customer I would like to see your input on this.
http://svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259970&page=1"

Nice thought but I doubt they will show up over here and expose themselves to criticism. Also, I think only "approved registered vendors" can post officially here.

Nice try though, I wish more vendors could come in and give their side of things. :beer:

COBRABRAD

Established Member
REX-RACER said:
Nice thought but I doubt they will show up over here and expose themselves to criticism. Also, I think only "approved registered vendors" can post officially here.

Nice try though, I wish more vendors could come in and give their side of things. :beer:
Maybe they will read the post and email me.

SVECobraR

Established Member
svtperformance doesn't have enough vendors, they should make it like modularfords, thats where everyones at, we have like what 6 official vendors and 3 on the main page?

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
na svt said:
You only feel faster cause your wallet is lighter. Throttle bodies do nothing for for n/a motors.

Seriously, it's been proven on dynos over and over.

I agree. Not to mention Steig will port a stock throttle body for a lot less than $390.

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
REX-RACER said:
I helped an '03 guy changes his and yeah, it's a total pita. I wish we had thought of the torch, although I'm not sure it's all that safe down there around the gas tank . . . : :burn: :lol1: Another tip I've heard is that since the new urothane bushings are harder obviously they are definitely a pita x 2 to get back in but if you freeze them over night in your freezer they'll contract ever so slightly and go in a tad bit easier. I'm definitely gonna try that when I do mine . . . and like you guys I've had all of my suspension pieces in the garage for 1.5 yrs . . . :(

At any rate, back to this new TB, I have two questions:

1). How beneficial would this new larger TB for someone w/ bolt-ons, a ported intake plus a 100 or 150 shot N2O? Theoretically that would put me in the 450 - 500 hp range?

2). Are any of you N2O guys running more than a 100 shot using a larger maf like this one from SCT? SCT Big Air MAF It's my understanding that the stock MAF for or cars is good to about 400 hp or so, so if I'm pushing past that point I keep wondering if I will need a bigger MAF like this one.

. . . I understand that there would need to be some requisite fuel system upgrades and tuning in order to make all of this work safely but I'm just trying to get a game plan together.

It may help a little, but I wouldn't expect much, maybe 2-4HP across the range with nitrous. The reason being that nitrous carries it's own oxygen with it - it doesn't require more oxygen to be drawn in through the intake tract. Provided the throttle body already there isn't a restriction (it isn't), an aftermarket unit won't help you much. It also cools the air charge making it more dense, resulting in less volume and thus less affected by restriction.

Naz - if your setup doesn't gain more than 5hp/5tq at peak (and probably across the range), then I don't know what to say. Your motor flows SO much more air than most of ours, it's ignorant.

JebTonkin

That's what she said.....
Established Member
Well even after hearing you guys dog this product I am still buying it because I have been driving my car alot recently and that throttle response sucks! So i think this will make the car more fun to drive.

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
JebTonkin said:
Well even after hearing you guys dog this product I am still buying it because I have been driving my car alot recently and that throttle response sucks! So i think this will make the car more fun to drive.
Good move.
You WILL feel the difference.
The motor will be snappier on tip in and the midrange will feel stronger.
Keep track of your MPG before and after, and let us know what you get.
Betcha gain some.

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
JebTonkin said:

Wait, so according to your signature you still have a stock gear, but you're looking to a throttle body for in improvement in performance? :idea:

Users who are viewing this thread