Replica Wheels Test Fit (93 Cobra)

I3oosted

The "King"
Established Member
buddha93 said:
LOL.......I was wondering if I was hitting any nerves yet! No hating intended man, really. :D It's plain to see that you made it work with the Hoosier.

You've just got the gears turning in my head. The simple fact is I know how much room is left under my car, and it ain't much (1/2") so I'm just wondering how much more your tire is sticking out either side. By the numbers, it should be an 1.5", but it doesn't look like you've got any more than me. It could be as simple as the camera angle and nothing more.

Like I said, I post a couple pics when I get a chance and you'll see what's got me wondering. Later.

Where them pix @?

- Jonathan.

PS. I am getting complements on how wide they look from behind!!:rockon:

buddha93

Established Member
Ya, I'm a little caught up in a kitchen remodel job..........my own. I'll have time to pull the car out this weekend and get those pics up.

Knowing what I know now with my wheel project versus yours, I would have been better off widening a set of those aftermarkets by a 1/2" and and foregoing any sort of spacer.

How long you think those Hoosiers will last on the street? My last of DR's lastet barely 850 miles.......damn blower!:D

I3oosted

The "King"
Established Member
buddha93 said:
Ya, I'm a little caught up in a kitchen remodel job..........my own. I'll have time to pull the car out this weekend and get those pics up.

Knowing what I know now with my wheel project versus yours, I would have been better off widening a set of those aftermarkets by a 1/2" and and foregoing any sort of spacer.

How long you think those Hoosiers will last on the street? My last of DR's lastet barely 850 miles.......damn blower!:D

I love to stay in the gas!! My guess is they will not last all that long but daum they are sticky. I make 600 + trq to the wheels and they stick are on a first gear role and can not spin them over in second. I still have my stock wheels and tired that i run when i am not seeing street duty. I have a set of slicks for the track.

- Jonathan

stangsteve1993

Established Member
I had my stock cobra's widened to 9 1/2 inches a few years back. I wish I hadnt sold those wheels now:nonono:

buddha93

Established Member
Ok Jonathan, you are the Wide Tire God!:bowdown: LOL!

I've posted up my car from behind, and I can see the difference now between the two. Mine are a little more tucked up under the fender. Are you having any major rubbing issues, or mostly just in the turns and dips in the road?

So just to be clear, stock Cobra rear, aftermarket wheels widened to 10 inches, right? Good info for guys looking to go this route. Later.

Jason

Last edited:

I3oosted

The "King"
Established Member
buddha93 said:
Ok Jonathan, you are the Wide Tire God!:bowdown: LOL!

Now that is funny.

buddha93 said:
I've posted up my car from behind, and I can see the difference now between the two. Mine are a little more tucked up under the fender. Are you having any major rubbing issues, or mostly just in the turns and dips in the road?
With me and my wife in the car, they do not rub one bit, even in dips.

buddha93 said:
So just to be clear, stock Cobra rear, aftermarket wheels widened to 10 inches, right? Good info for guys looking to go this route. Later.

Stock cobra rear, Moser hardened 28 spline axles, oem wheels widened 1.5 inches to measure 10 inches inside.

I3oosted

The "King"
Established Member
Just to update everyone.....I have successfully fit a 315/35/17 tire under my 1993 cobra with no mini tub and 3 inch exhaust. :beer:

Combo"
- 1993 cobra replica wheels widened 1.5 inches, to measure inside 10 inches
- This gave me right at 7 inches of backspacing, IE Perfect.
- Widened by Weldcraft Wheels - http://www.weldcraftwheels.com/
- Mega bite jr control arms
- Lakewood 50/50 shocks
- Hoosier 315/35/17 drag radial, measures 13 inches wide.
- Slight fender massaged rubs slightly on hard turns, Need to message a little more.
- Messaged the 3 inch custom exhaust in a small area

I will post pictures shortly!! Man do they ever hook and it looks so mean!!! :pepper:

I have these wheels for sale if anyone is interested!!!!

Jonathan Haymore - 336/407-6765

slicksvt

Established Member
I noticed you can buy the wheels individually on Late Model Restoration. I was thinking of buying two just for the rear, does anyone know if the paint color is a very close match to the OEM wheels? Also, if I was to buy a complete set what size tire should I run on the fronts of the replica's?

buddha93

Established Member
I'm assuming you've read this post and realize these were designed for regular Fox bodies and not the Cobra, correct? The backspacing hangs the wheels out a bit. But to answer your question, yes the color match is correct.

Last edited:

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
As Buddha says, they are a perfect match. I have two of them ready to go on the back of my car, whenever I get around to it.

On the front I wouldn't go any bigger than a 255/40. Can run a stock size on it as well.

slicksvt

Established Member
Thanks for the info, I am wanting to go with the OEM 245's in the front and possibly in the back as well(because of the offset issue) but I wasn't sure if the 245's would look to small on the 8.5" rim.

#1pony

Established Member
Ok, I have read through this post 3 times and its still confusing me? One reply says OEM wheels widened 1.5 inches and another says Replica wheels widened to 1.5 inches. They have different backspacing so which one is it? Also I have read in other places that you can use stock cobra axles or its better to get GT axles, does that all depend on which wheel you have widened? :shrug:

buddha93

Established Member
The question is, what are you wanting to do? You can widen either set, but it doesn't change the mounting pad, it just places more material behind it.

The aftermarket wheels will place the tire/wheel further out if you using the factory OEM rear. Those wheels were made to fit the GT/LX.

#1pony

Established Member
The question is, what are you wanting to do? You can widen either set, but it doesn't change the mounting pad, it just places more material behind it.

The aftermarket wheels will place the tire/wheel further out if you using the factory OEM rear. Those wheels were made to fit the GT/LX.

I want to fit a 10in wheel under my fenders, lowered a little, if lowering is possible? My rearend in stock except for 3:73's. If all I need to do is remove the quads and put a good lower control arm then I will just have two of my OEM wheels widened.
Thanks, Jason

buddha93

Established Member
Well, I'm sitting with a 9" widened OEM's under my car with quads removed, a 1/2" spacer, and 3" studs. It gets really tight under there quick, with the biggest problem being the OEM location on the exhaust and the area next to the upper spring perch.

I know some guys did a full 10" widened OEM wheel but I can't say what rear they were using or if spacers were implemented.

Vib_93

Established Member
Sorry for dredging this up again. But does anyone have any actual pics of a "Stock" 93 Cobra with the 8.5in replica wheels on it? I am considering doing this with a set of Sumitomo HTR ZIII's or Nitto 555's in 255/40/17 and GT rotors on the front. Stock ride height.

Most of the discussion on this thread seems centered around widened rims and running 275's (or bigger)in the rear. Thats not what I'm after. I just want to replace my flaking stock rims long enough to repaint the stockers without having to resort to custom wheels. I need tires too so It seemed like an economical swap.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
What you are suggesting would work. A few have widened the repros and used them on stock cobra axles. Be advised that the wheel lips will be flush with the quarter panel, and if lowered you might have a slight rub at full suspension compression in the rear.

Not an issue in the front with gt rotors.

Users who are viewing this thread