Replica Wheels Test Fit (93 Cobra)

PJM99

Established Member
These wheels should be offered in out offset. We're still going to have to pay a premium price for original wheels.

04ASSASSIN

Established Member
i would still like to know if they would rub or not. Nitto d/r only come in 245's 275's. do not want rub so what other option is there? have seen many chrome 93 stock rims. where are they being done at? price? any comments will be appreciated.

I3oosted

The "King"
Established Member
I know this topic has been dead for a while but I am going to try a diff approach.

I currently run Nitto 275 DR's on my 7.5 in rim and I can not get any traction on the street. What I am planning to do is buy a pair (2) for the rear and have them directly sent to a wheel widener. I then plan on having the wheels widened 2 inches to make the wheels 10.5 inches. I have a buddy with a set on his GT, I tried them on and based on my measurements, this should clear the inner fenders by a hair (I have no Quads and Mega bit JR control arms). I am going to also purchase a set of P315/35R17 Hoosier DR's. This set of tires is just gong to be when no rain is in the forecast and I plan on getting into a little street action. Whish me luck I will post up pix once I have completed the installation, It will probably be 2-3 weeks before this is complete.

Where is the best place to purchase 2 of these wheels??

- Jonathan

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
John:
Good idea. Couple thoughts for advice:
1) Weld Craft in MI does excellent wheel widening
2) Use a BFH on the inner lips for clearence, its worth it
3) If you have clearence issues, 315 nittos are definitely smaller than 315 BFGs
Good luck man.
-J

buddha93

Established Member
I had a set of OEM wheels widened by Weldcraft and they did and excellent job on them......and they were the cheapest I could find.

As far as a 315 tire under fitting in the factory wheel well, no flippin' way.......especially if your running the factory over-the-axle exhaust configuration.
I run the BFG 275 on my widened OEM wheel (9 inches) and thats about all she can take. I have about 1/2" off the inner well and had to move the tailpipes inboard just a hair. With the mounting location of the shocks your going to run into even more trouble.

What is the backspacing on those aftermarkets? I think you'd be safer going with a 9" or even 9.5" wheel with the 275 BFG on it.

I3oosted

The "King"
Established Member
buddha93 said:
I had a set of OEM wheels widened by Weldcraft and they did and excellent job on them......and they were the cheapest I could find.

As far as a 315 tire under fitting in the factory wheel well, no flippin' way.......especially if your running the factory over-the-axle exhaust configuration.
I run the BFG 275 on my widened OEM wheel (9 inches) and thats about all she can take. I have about 1/2" off the inner well and had to move the tailpipes inboard just a hair. With the mounting location of the shocks your going to run into even more trouble.
I guess we will find out. I run 50/50's on the rear, it will hit the fender before the shocks.

buddha93 said:
What is the backspacing on those aftermarkets? I think you'd be safer going with a 9" or even 9.5" wheel with the 275 BFG on it.
My brother runs 10.5 inch wheels on his 89 coupe with 315's with no problem. He spaced out the wheels but that distance is not much diff between gt and cobra axles.

- Jonathan

buddha93

Established Member
The only 315 tire that I've seen fit under the factory fender correctly had mini-tubs with a custom made exhaust. I'd like to see a pic of your brothers car and see how they look, or more exact, how much is hanging out the fenders.

The aftermarket wheels from what I've heard on this forum and others are pushed out about 1/2" too far. When you add width to the wheel, the backspacing remains exactly the same......no change whatsoever. All the extra width of the wheel and tire will go to the inside, towards the inner wheel well.

If your running 2 1/2" tailpipes, that's the first contact point the tire will be hitting. After that, you'll have contact points along certain areas along the fender well. The one point at which it will contact is the upper spring perch, and that's not something that can be beat out of the way with a hammer.

As far as shocks are concerned, it doesn't really matter what they are, just where they are located......that's what I was getting at in my eariler post. It will hit the above mentioned spring perch about an inch before it hits the shock itself.

I'm not trying to shoot down your project, but only pointing out what I experienced with my Cobra wheel project.......I looked at the same option your looking at right now.

BTW, using the OEM Cobra wheel widened to 9" and running a BFG 275 DR required a 1/2" wheel spacer to make it fit. I had a custom made hubentric set made, as well as installing a set of 3" wheel studs so there is enough thread for the lugs.

It all boils down to backspacing. The width of the wheel comes in second, within reason of cousre. If you can make it fly, keep us posted because if it works, I'l love to stick a 315 under my car as well. Good luck with your venture.

Last edited:

I3oosted

The "King"
Established Member
buddha93 said:
The only 315 tire that I've seen fit under the factory fender correctly had mini-tubs with a custom made exhaust. I'd like to see a pic of your brothers car and see how they look, or more exact, how much is hanging out the fenders.

The aftermarket wheels from what I've heard on this forum and others are pushed out about 1/2" too far. When you add width to the wheel, the backspacing remains exactly the same......no change whatsoever. All the extra width of the wheel and tire will go to the inside, towards the inner wheel well.

If your running 2 1/2" tailpipes, that's the first contact point the tire will be hitting. After that, you'll have contact points along certain areas along the fender well. The one point at which it will contact is the upper spring perch, and that's not something that can be beat out of the way with a hammer.

As far as shocks are concerned, it doesn't really matter what they are, just where they are located......that's what I was getting at in my eariler post. It will hit the above mentioned spring perch about an inch before it hits the shock itself.

I'm not trying to shoot down your project, but only pointing out what I experienced with my Cobra wheel project.......I looked at the same option your looking at right now.

BTW, using the OEM Cobra wheel widened to 9" and running a BFG 275 DR required a 1/2" wheel spacer to make it fit. I had a custom made hubentric set made, as well as installing a set of 3" wheel studs so there is enough thread for the lugs.

It all boils down to backspacing. The width of the wheel comes in second, within reason of cousre. If you can make it fly, keep us posted because if it works, I'l love to stick a 315 under my car as well. Good luck with your venture.

Just to update everyone.....I have successfully fit a 315/35/17 tire under my 1993 cobra with no mini tub and 3 inch exhaust. :beer:

Combo"
- 1993 cobra replica wheels widened 1.5 inches, to measure inside 10 inches
- This gave me right at 7 inches of backspacing, IE Perfect.
- Widened by Weldcraft Wheels - http://www.weldcraftwheels.com/
- Mega bite jr control arms
- Lakewood 50/50 shocks
- Hoosier 315/35/17 drag radial, measures 13 inches wide.
- Slight fender massaged rubs slightly on hard turns, Need to message a little more.
- Messaged the 3 inch custom exhaust in a small area

I will post pictures shortly!! Man do they ever hook and it looks so mean!!! :pepper:

buddha93

Established Member
Get those pics up......I gotta see this. Glad you got it to work for you. Weldcraft did my wheels too and they did a really nice job.......balanced out nearly perfect.

Venom94

Established Member
if you were to use a smaller tire width size could you still tuck those replica rims (17x8.5)???....if so with a 2 inch drop??

I3oosted

The "King"
Established Member
buddha93 said:
Get those pics up......I gotta see this. Glad you got it to work for you. Weldcraft did my wheels too and they did a really nice job.......balanced out nearly perfect.
PIC's....enjoy!!
Size
5100_08401.JPG

Misc pics
5100_08371.JPG

5100_08421.JPG

5100_0843-med.JPG

5100_0841-med.JPG

- Jonathan

Venom94

Established Member
Man dude that looks freakin amazing!!!!......but someone PLEASE answer my question....if you went with a smaller width tire on the replica cobra wheels could you still tuck them a little if at all?

buddha93

Established Member
Looks good to me, glad you made it work.

It looks though that like Nitto, Hoosier's run a little narrower than the BFG Drag Radials. My BFG DR 275 looks just as wide as that 315 from Hoosier. I'll post up a few pics for comparison. Might be hard to tell though, but what the hell.

BTW, what's under the hood? I see the sumped tank, so I'm guessing it's something nasty.

Venom, I think you could make it work with a stock ride height, but with a 2" drop, I'd have to say no way.

Venom94

Established Member
buddha93 said:

It looks though that like Nitto, Hoosier's run a little narrower than the BFG Drag Radials. My BFG DR 275 looks just as wide as that 315 from Hoosier. I'll post up a few pics for comparison. Might be hard to tell though, but what the hell.

BTW, what's under the hood? I see the sumped tank, so I'm guessing it's something nasty.

Venom, I think you could make it work with a stock ride height, but with a 2" drop, I'd have to say no way.

what about on a 90-93 lx or gt??......thats my question.....and if you had the smallest width size tire for that 8.5inch on a gt or lx it wouldnt fit either???

I3oosted

The "King"
Established Member
buddha93 said:

Man what is the hating all about, they measure 13 inches wide.....What does the BFG drag radial measure...According to summit racing the section width is 12.4...SO I ASSUME BY THE TIME THEY ARE MOUNTED, THEY WILL BE ABOUT 13 INCHES WIDE. I have had 315 nittos and they do not compare, with nitto's, they will fit on a 9.5 inch rim, these barley fit on a 10 inch rim.....

buddha93 said:
Look in the march edition, this year, of muscle mustang and fast ford....carolina cobra's.....it is all in there

buddha93

Established Member
LOL.......I was wondering if I was hitting any nerves yet! No hating intended man, really. :D It's plain to see that you made it work with the Hoosier.

You've just got the gears turning in my head. The simple fact is I know how much room is left under my car, and it ain't much (1/2") so I'm just wondering how much more your tire is sticking out either side. By the numbers, it should be an 1.5", but it doesn't look like you've got any more than me. It could be as simple as the camera angle and nothing more.

Like I said, I post a couple pics when I get a chance and you'll see what's got me wondering. Later.

Users who are viewing this thread