Replica Wheels Test Fit (93 Cobra)

spankustang

Established Member
Would like to see what the aftermarket chrome cobra wheels look like on a stock ride height car. I would like to do this swap, without wasting any $.

1993 SVT

Established Member
I just bought a cobra with the gloss black repro's. I don't actually like them but all I can find is a beat set of originals on ebay. I have a brand new set of eibach pro kit but Im afraid to put them on for fear that the rears will hit the lips. Anyone have eibachs and repro's on their cobra?

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
It depends on how well your rearend is centered, how big a tire, and how low the eibach take you down. At the least I imagine you would have a rub at full compression. At the worst tire could rub almost constantly.

If you know how much the pros are supposed to drop you, you could do a simulation with some weight in the back of the car to see how close they will be...

1993 SVT

Established Member
The rears are easy enough to pop out so I may just do that tomorrow and see where it sits. I cannot find a cheap set of original rims anywhere. I've read that the cobras had a wider axle but it doesn't say that on the sticky in this forum for differences. Any insight to whether this is true or not?

1993 SVT

Established Member
Interesting. I suppose I could swap out the current rear end for the one out of my 87 GT and get some space. Thanks for all the input BTW.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Interesting. I suppose I could swap out the current rear end for the one out of my 87 GT and get some space. Thanks for all the input BTW.

To do that, you would also have to source relocation brackets for the rear calipers from northracecars.com or the old saleen style brackets (which I have).

And the very first line in the 93 Cobra differences:

• Unique 17x7.5 turbine style wheels (unique offset - 93 Cobra is 3/4" wider per side with unique front rotors with taller hats)
:thumbsup:

1993 SVT

Established Member
Yea I guess I missed that. I probably initially began to read and quit after wheels. Sort of a vague description because it doesn't really refer directly to the axle anywhere in that description. Ill post my findings after I test fit the pro kits tomorrow.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
I reworded it a bit:

• Unique 17x7.5 turbine style wheels (unique offset - 93 Cobra is 3/4" wider per side with unique front rotors with taller hats)
• Front brakes are identical to standard 5.0 with the exception of 3/4" taller hat to accommodate unique wheel offset
• Rear axles are 3/4" wider per side to accommodate unique wheel offset

1993 SVT

Established Member
Does anyone know if the reproduction wheel center caps fit the OEM stock wheels?

1993 SVT

Established Member
If you're asking me I didn't buy them separately. They came with the repro cobra rims that are on the car I bought. I just wanted to know because I found a set of original cobra rims but they weren't being sold with the original center caps. But 93cobra#2771 said that the repro center caps will fit the original wheels so if you need center caps maybe the company that sells the repro rims will sell you the caps only.

1993 SVT

Established Member
So the way it sits now, the 245/45's rub the lip of the fenders with pro kits. So what size tire do you think would fit in there? Just looking for different ideas. I'm really afraid to try to roll the fenders as Ive never done it and they are in awesome condition.

Users who are viewing this thread