Replacement Intercooler

BMR Tech

IAT2 data to follow?

Is the LFP/Griffin piece suppose to be better? I didn't think there was a way to make the cooler on a 4.6 much better?

BMR Tech

Just read the description on LFP link you supplied.

Interesting. In for IAT2 data.

TVSCobra

Established Member
IAT2 data to follow?

Is the LFP/Griffin piece suppose to be better? I didn't think there was a way to make the cooler on a 4.6 much better?

From what I gather, there is a little bit to be gained. 8% at best. I would have rather stay with a Garrett factory cooler but since they aren't being made anymore, they are hard to get from Ford. Like I said before the other intercooler Tousley ordered also came in damaged. Mike R told me that there was some still out there and he was not sure if the intercooler were still being manufactored. I just decided to get a refund and send it back.
I think Amazon Tuning had great success with a aftermarket intercooler and I think it was made by Griffin. There have been 3-4 design updates from Griffin over the years. So I would think that it should be a good piece. Mark did tell me that this intercooler was not just designed as a replacement, it was designed to work better than the Garrett. He guaranteed that I would see better IAT2 temps.

Just read the description on LFP link you supplied.

Interesting. In for IAT2 data.

I will post pics of the intercooler once I get my hands on it. I should receive it early this week. I will post my IAT2 data.

Tonight with my KC on, my fluid temps were 42 degrees. Measured in the tank and my charge temp was 93! These temps were taken after getting on the throttle. My Jabsco pump is working great and the heat exchanger was icing cold to the touch. So there is something going on with my intercooler. I have the JLT oil separator on the driver's side and a prefilter on the passenger side. I also cleaned the intercooler when I replaced my engine with the reman last March. I even removed the intercooler from the blower, cleaned the intercooler again and resealed it. I wonder if air is leaking passed the intercooler, or there is some sort of internal issue inside the intercooler. If I made a WOT throttle run my IAT2 doesn't drop like it used to and this thing heat soaks. Way more than normal. So this is why I am replacing my intercooler. I will really inspect it once I get everything pulled for the replacement. Pictures and data to follow.

:beer:

Last edited:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Buy a used one from someone that has a high trader rating and there's no worries. I just needed one, found a used one from a buddy, and had it overnighted. There's 1 on here now that I know of in the market section. The guy contacted me after a pm and even gave me his phone number.

TVSCobra

Established Member
Buy a used one from someone that has a high trader rating and there's no worries. I just needed one, found a used one from a buddy, and had it overnighted. There's 1 on here now that I know of in the market section. The guy contacted me after a pm and even gave me his phone number.

Was yours leaking?

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Yep blew it up with below zero temps and no antifreeze lol. Oops. Caught it before it thawed out so no problems inside the motor.

TRBO VNM

Damn, I have a spare. Just needs to be cleaned up. With people still having these issues I should just sell it.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
do you have IAT2 data with the stock unit? Ill be surprised if you see much difference

TVSCobra

Established Member
I read your trying to decide between the two brands….

Sort of. I would have rather use the Ford intercooler. The first one came in damaged to me and the second one that was shipped to Tousley was also damaged. Mike told me that they were hard to find and it appears Ford is no longer having them made for them. So my only other option was to go aftermarket, since I wanted a new intercooler. I found out that Griffin makes the intercoolers for LFP and from what I gather, Griffin has a really good rep.ds

My IAT2 is 50-55 above IAT1 without the KC on. Just the other night I ran my KC and measured the intercooler fluid, it was 42-46 degrees and my charge temp was 100+. Even when I get on throttle the charge temp doesn't drop like it should. My heat exchanger was ice cold to the touch. My pump is working properly. My normal IAT2s used to be 30-38 degrees over IAT1. So this leads me to believe that there is a flow issue inside the intercooler or air is some how leaking or bypassing the intercooler. I run a JLT oil separator on the driver's side and a JLT pre filter on the passenger side, I cleaned the intercooler when I had it apart doing the reman engine last year. So oil coating the intercooler shouldn't be happening.

I will post pics of the Griffin intercooler and pics of the old intercooler when I can. I will also update if I find any issues with the old intercooler and will provide IAT information after installation is completed.

Thanks

Just received my tracking information from Mark. The intercooler is due to be delivered this week.

Last edited:

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
so you "think" you need one bc of a 6-8 degree difference? 8 degrees is NOTHING especially when your cooling the water temp with a KC or ice. there are just way too many factors. I think your in for a bunch of work and $600 out of pocket for nothing. It would be a drastic change if the IC was busted.

TVSCobra

Established Member
it's more like 15-20 degrees air temp difference from what I used to see. All things being the same why would I all of a sudden see a huge increase in temps? Other than something going on with the intercooler.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
it's more like 15-20 degrees air temp difference from what I used to see. All things being the same why would I all of a sudden see a huge increase in temps? Other than something going on with the intercooler.

even 20 isn't a lot. If I start my IC pump at the track a minute later my temps will be 20+ higher with everything else the same. Too many variables.

The #1 failure on these IC's in the last 11 years has been a crack in it that leaks fluid into the motor. Usually caused by operator error (water and cold temps). I don't recall of any failures otherwise. All it is is a bunch of fins allowing air to pass through and over the water lines. Back in the day they were known to be covered in oil and gunned up bc no one was using oil separators but you clean them and reinstall it.

Being in Georgia your temps fluctuate so much lately the only way to be sure if to run the car exactly the same way as another log you have. same air quality, same rpms, same throttle position, same coolant temp, same ic water temp, same everything…..which won't happen. You can get close, and if it were me…..10-20 wouldn't bother me a bit. Ill take 130-135 temps on a 90 degree day all day bc thats what I see

Last edited:

TVSCobra

Established Member
I realize that and agree with what you are saying. I cleaned the intercooler last year, it just makes no sense that I would pick 15-20 degrees in charge temps from what I used to see, with the same setup. Like I said before even going WOT the temps should drop a good bit and then start to increase. When I get on it they only drop a few degrees. Nothing like it used to.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
I realize that and agree with what you are saying. I cleaned the intercooler last year, it just makes no sense that I would pick 15-20 degrees in charge temps from what I used to see, with the same setup. Like I said before even going WOT the temps should drop a good bit and then start to increase. When I get on it they only drop a few degrees. Nothing like it used to.

if you want to post up the data you logged that would be cool so we can compare but otherwise its your money man. Thats just my $.02 form my experiences.

TVSCobra

Established Member
I will post my Iats once I get the replacement unit in. I have also noticed it take 3-4 times as long as it used to for my charge temps to recover after a run.

Tractionless1

Established Member
so you "think" you need one bc of a 6-8 degree difference? 8 degrees is NOTHING especially when your cooling the water temp with a KC or ice. there are just way too many factors. I think your in for a bunch of work and $600 out of pocket for nothing. It would be a drastic change if the IC was busted.

I'm of this school of thought. Diagnose the issue before throwing parts, especially expensive ones at it. As stated above you may have seal or blockage issues of the core via oil buildup etc.

svtshadow

Banned
If heat exchanger is cold to the touch after running, then something is not flowing right. During winter my HE is atleast warm to the touch after running.

Users who are viewing this thread