Replacement Intercooler

TVSCobra

Established Member
I need to replace my intercooler, I see a lot of old threads on the unit from VTS. But it seems there is mixed experiences with their product, plus it seems that they are out of business or their website is down. I found that LFP makes a replacement intercooler, but again some have been really happy with LFP or had a really bad experience with them.

I know the factory unit is very good, I'm not looking to buy one thinking there is going to be an increase in performance. I can only imagine if there was something to be gained it would be minor at best.

The Factory intercooler is 637.00 from Tousley and the LFP is 600.00 both prices are without shipping.

Link to LFP unit: LFP Extreme Intercooler Chiller Core 2003-04 SVT Cobra at LightningForcePerformance.com - Your American Muscle Parts Depot

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with any aftermarket intercoolers on the 03-04 Cobras.

It would be sweet if we could use the Ford GT intercooler or the 11, 12 or 13 GT500 unit, but I see that can not be used with our lower intakes. I know these are much more efficient at heat transfter and they do flow more than our factory units do.

If anyone has any experience or any input on this I would really appreciate it.

At this point it looks like the best option is just ordering up a factory replacement from Tousley.

Thanks SVTP.

TVSCobra

Established Member
That's just it the LFP and the Factory unit are very close in price. I think I will go with the factory unit given its reliable track record. I just wanted to know if anyone here has an aftermarket unit that has been in use for awhile and maybe some IAT2 data.

LFP claims a drop in IAT2s of 7-10 degrees, but we all know that is highly unlikely. I'm assuming LFP does not make this one, like they claim. I'm willing to bet that it is made by another company and they put their name on it.

Wasn't there another company out there that used to make intercooler for these cars? I can not remember the name though. I tried searching but did not turn up anything. I remember sometime ago there was one for sale on here.

Last edited:

TVSCobra

Established Member
I called Griffin, according to them the new LFP unit is mabe by Griffin. I'm waiting on a call back from LFP to see what they have to say.

Last edited:

TVSCobra

Established Member
I found out that two different companies make that intercooler for LFP. I was told that the intercooler is designed to be more efficient, by approx 8%. Which in my opinion is not enough to take a chance on putting this one in instead of the factory unit.

For the price, I going to just a factory intercooler.

TVSCobra

Established Member
Update:

I ordered a replacement intercooler for Tousley and this is what I received.

IntercoolerBoxDamge6of6_zps51237f68.jpg

IntercoolerDamage5of6_zpsb5ff8019.jpg

IntercoolerDamage4of6_zps95cd2027.jpg

IntercoolerDamage3of6_zpsd09fd4fe.jpg

IntercoolerDamage2of6_zps356f5094.jpg

IntercoolerDamage1of6_zps90e85f18.jpg

Keep in mind this was in its own box and then placed inside another box with the rest of my order, Ford sent Tousley another one and it to was damaged. But Tousley took care of me and is giving me a refund.

I called and talked to Griffin and as I stated in my earlier post they make the intercooler for LFP. I ordered the intercooler from him (Mark). I will post pics once I get it. Data to follow on IAT2.

Last edited:

TVSCobra

Established Member
that sucks but would love to here some recent data about the griffin piece.

You guys will!

$637 IC and that's how they packaged it?

horrible

Yeah that is what I thought. I always order my OEM parts from Tousely. The thing that really pissed me off was that someone there saw this box like this and decided to put it into the rest of my order......Probably a punkass kid that works in the back. But it is what it is and Mike R is awesome, I will continue to use Tousley. Shit happens.

I paided 569.00 shipped for the LFP/Griffin intercooler. It should be here Monday or Tuesday. I will post pics of it when it comes in.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

That's why I buy from Tasca now since Steve left Tousley. He always kept shit straight over there.

Hopefully you have better luck with shipping than a local guy did. His results were similar with the LFP one. I will never give a dime to those fools again.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
That's why I buy from Tasca now since Steve left Tousley. He always kept shit straight over there.

Hopefully you have better luck with shipping than a local guy did. His results were similar with the LFP one. I will never give a dime to those fools again.

Good to know that Steve left. Hadn't heard that yet. He was always great to deal with and did make sure we got we were supposed to get.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Dont forget to check the classifieds. I have seen one or two of them in there over the last week. I think there is a shop you can send it out to and they will clean it up. I bet you would save a few hundred over buying new.

stangfreak

Established Member
$637 IC and that's how they packaged it?

horrible

Im a warehouse manager at a dealership but I also over see the shop window and handle the NYC contracts with there parts. I do it all. you should see how manufactures send out there products that are way more than 637 bucks. Its really a shame. I also handle ford parts

Users who are viewing this thread