really cheap cai

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I can't decide if I am more jealous of your trap speed or the fact that you are racing at 1 AM!

not a trap speed you will see in the summer time, hell, probably even in the spring, and it's not really a fair comparison to what most cars will see

Density Altitude: -980 feet

1000 ft below sea level and 41 degree air will make for some amazing numbers

plus, if you look at the slips, the e.t. was slower than the other run, and the 60' was down by about .1, that means the car was spinning, thus the higher mph

Last edited:

acrbill

Established Member
One of our local tracks was open on news years day. It was 32* when I made a pass and trapped at 110. According to the DA calc that puts the track at -923'.

I would love to see what his car would do with a converter.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
One of our local tracks was open on news years day. It was 32* when I made a pass and trapped at 110. According to the DA calc that puts the track at -923'.

wake it up. converters really wake these cars up

wbt

Banned
not a trap speed you will see in the summer time, hell, probably even in the spring, and it's not really a fair comparison to what most cars will see

Density Altitude: -980 feet

1000 ft below sea level and 41 degree air will make for some amazing numbers

plus, if you look at the slips, the e.t. was slower than the other run, and the 60' was down by about .1, that means the car was spinning, thus the higher mph

Well...no shit. DA definitely helped and this is air we get maybe 2 times a year. Are you going to discount the runs Shaun has made with his car because they were -DA too? How many times have you run in -DA at the track? Your location puts you at an advantage of having access to faster tracks vs. what we get to run in down here 98% of the year. I have no idea your point here but that seems typical in most of your responses. What was your best time N/A with what mods again?

I spun on the last pass as the track went away.

wbt

Banned

Last weekend I installed a Circle D 5C converter, 3.31 gear, rear suspension control arms and what not, Pypes full exhaust from headers to cat-back and alum. D/S. This coming week I will install Strange front brakes and finish up some odds and ends before it is re-tuned.

Heading back out on 3/10 for more runs, where unless something strange occurs, I will do the JLT CAI testing against the stock intake. I may not get many passes in as the car doesn't have a roll-bar yet.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Wonder if this intake could be used with the frpp pro cal?

No, you can't. Only "no tune" CAIs can be used with that tune.

But wait! We just had two examples of fast cars without CAIs and they are both autos. So where do they fall into? I can't think of any other excuse at this point lol

If you are including me in there, my car is a manual.

Mike

kdanner

Banned
I get it!! If your car is fast without a CAI, you're a heck of a driver. If you're car is slow with the CAI it must be the tune!

But wait! We just had two examples of fast cars without CAIs and they are both autos. So where do they fall into? I can't think of any other excuse at this point lol

Glad to see someone else sees through the advertising hype. The 2 biggest proponents of aftermarket intakes in this thread are a guy who manufactures them and a guy who sells them. Surely they aren't here trying to sell anything, now are they? Well boys, mine trapped a best of 126.5 MPH and that was +300 DA, so you can't claim I ran in a mine shaft to do it. Weight 3650 just in case you try to go there. Tested a CAI that same night. Guess what, nothing.

Tell you what, I'll even test one again, at the Texas Mile next month. I mean after all if these things make so much power, it should really pick it up, standing on it for a full mile, right?

Tucker

Wow, just wow.
A respected racer tells you he gained 2 mph and he's wrong too?
Shaun is telling you it's in the tune and you still don't listen.

Intakes = black magic? That's funny:lol:

I'll check out the cars in the pits at the NMRA shootout this weekend in Bradenton FL and see how many dumb racers are using an open filter and going slower than cars with stock airboxes.

In the MM&FF 2011 5.0 shootout not a single car had the stock box and were talking about the best shops in the business, JPC, Livernios, Beefcake Racing, Strickly, Evo, Kelley Performance, Woodbine Motorsports and Revolution Performance. ALL were smart enough to get the most ET out of their car using an air intake. So all these shops don't know what their doing?:shrug: Really?

Take a look at the KING OF THE STREET compitition. No stock boxes there.
Chris Cruz this years winner runs a JLT Big Air Intake, 9.70's on 20" drag radials and just made over 900 RWHP.

But I guess that's different and you'll tell me why?

I'm sure wbt's test will be as fair as can be, seeing he's open minded about intakes and the abiltiy they have to making power. ;-)

I don't have the time or energy to argue on the internet about something so rediclious.
Enjoy your discussion guys.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Well...no shit. DA definitely helped and this is air we get maybe 2 times a year. Are you going to discount the runs Shaun has made with his car because they were -DA too? How many times have you run in -DA at the track? Your location puts you at an advantage of having access to faster tracks vs. what we get to run in down here 98% of the year. I have no idea your point here but that seems typical in most of your responses. What was your best time N/A with what mods again?

I spun on the last pass as the track went away.

My track here is less than favorable. I have seen minus 200 ft one time in the middle of november about 10 years ago. They also have no idea of what that VHT stuff is.

As far as my point, I thought it was clear. You will NEVER see that MPH again in that combination, without -DA and blowing the tires off. The runs were good runs, the first run was more impressive as it was a better e.t. in 1400 more ft/air.

As far as my car, you can't compare my e.t.s at my track, with your e.t.'s at your track. Different cars, different tracks, different weights.

At my track, I picked up a tenth and a half with over 2mph with only a 700 ft da change. Corrected it was still over a tenth, and over 2 mph. That was with a near identical 60.

Those are facts, plain and simple. You will never convince me otherwise. I did my testing, and came away with positive results. Maybe Jon just knows what he is doing with the CAI's.

I'm not discounting the runs. Y

ViciousJay

Established Member
I've found some crazy stuff in the manual GT calibrations that limit power on the track, but allow full power on the dyno. Jay, I'll call you tomorrow to discuss this.

IMO (as stated before) it's the TUNE that's limiting power, not the CAI. Hense the approach I've taken of 'limited mods' to go fast. I've been on a mission to maximize every bolt on BEFORE going to the next mod. The last 2 months this car has kicked my *ss at the strip, but we've made serious progress on *how* it limits power at the track vs the dyno.
This weekends drag testing has shown excellent results. Getting around the limitations in the manual GT ECU is in my power...finally!
I am confident we can now 'get the power to the ground' in ways not possible before.

So is there a way to make the tune more effective in adding a CAI to these cars?

D.T.R

Established Member
2012 Mustang GT 5.0 goes 11.96 @ 114.74 @ No Problem Raceway w/AED tune & 3.31 gears - YouTube

Stock airbox, 3.31 gears, 26 inch slicks, LCAs and brackets, offroad X and no resonators, stock mufflers and a killer f*cking tune from Shaun.

In_before_the_lock_by_dantiscus.gif

Mike

the best post in this thread :lol1:

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Tucker, I don't think most here are saying the CAI is junk and not worth anything. I think most people, me included, are saying that you can go pretty damn fast without a CAI. Shaun is almost in the 10's KDanner has been in the 10's, WBT is firmly in the 11's, I scratched the 11's (with 3.31s no less). If a plastic tube and an open air filter is going to net me 2-3 tenths, you are ****ing A right I am going to buy one. When my tuner, who I trust implicitly, tells me that right now it is not worth it with my car, I am going to pass.

If you would like to prove me wrong, PM me and I will send you my address. You can send me a CAI for testing and I will take it to the track, make a pass with my stocker, install your CAI and make a pass right after, with a tune to support it. If it works, you get my money. Period, end of discussion.

I think it has been proven that you don't need an aftermarket CAI to go fast. However, almost every post where someone is looking for more, the recommendation is "get a tune and a CAI first." This is just not so.

Mike

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Tucker, I don't think most here are saying the CAI is junk and not worth anything. I think most people, me included, are saying that you can go pretty damn fast without a CAI. Shaun is almost in the 10's KDanner has been in the 10's, WBT is firmly in the 11's, I scratched the 11's (with 3.31s no less). If a plastic tube and an open air filter is going to net me 2-3 tenths, you are ****ing A right I am going to buy one. When my tuner, who I trust implicitly, tells me that right now it is not worth it with my car, I am going to pass.

If you would like to prove me wrong, PM me and I will send you my address. You can send me a CAI for testing and I will take it to the track, make a pass with my stocker, install your CAI and make a pass right after, with a tune to support it. If it works, you get my money. Period, end of discussion.

I think it has been proven that you don't need an aftermarket CAI to go fast. However, almost every post where someone is looking for more, the recommendation is "get a tune and a CAI first." This is just not so.

Mike

I agree, you don't "have" to have one, hell, haven't we seen bone stock times in the 12.2 out of some cars...

My car picked up, so that's all I can go by.

kdanner

Banned
There are several people spread across multiple forums who have track tested and found that these intakes did nothing for their performance. These people all have 2 things in common:

1. They don't manufacture of sell these.
2. They paid for the part with their own money, they didn't take free or discounted product in exchange for reviews/advertising/stealth marketing efforts.

The 2 big proponents in this thread both just happen to sell these.

Use that info when making your decisions about who gives an honest review and whether to buy one of these or not.

D.T.R

Established Member
There are several people spread across multiple forums who have track tested and found that these intakes did nothing for their performance. These people all have 2 things in common:

2. They paid for the part with their own money, they didn't take free or discounted product in exchange for reviews/advertising/stealth marketing efforts.

Use that info when making your decisions about who gives an honest review and whether to buy one of these or not.

dayum :read:

MikeLTDLX

Established Member

My proposal was simple. I want to go fast. If this part makes me go faster, I will buy it. If it does not, it gets returned. If JLT and Tucker want to roll the dice, I am all for it. Granatelli did this exact same thing over on the Corral with their coils and the guy picked up close to 10 HP, so he bought the coils.

I don't expect this offer to be accepted, however.

Mike

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I track tested the Steeda CAI intake.

At the time I track tested the part. I was not selling any of these parts, I did not start selling them until 8 months later.

Even now, I still do not sell any Steeda products.

I cannot attest to other brands of CAI's, as I have not tested them. I can attest that the Steeda CAI, picked me up .1 and 2mph.

I DO NOT SELL STEEDA PARTS, STEEDA HAS NEVER GIVEN ME ANYTHING

FACT, not fiction

I have timeslips, FACT, not fiction

The results are what the results are. The tuning was done by one of your good friends. FACT, not fiction

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
I track tested the Steeda CAI intake.

I cannot attest to other brands of CAI's, as I have not tested them. I can attest that the Steeda CAI, picked me up .1 and 2mph.

I DO NOT SELL STEEDA PARTS, STEEDA HAS NEVER GIVEN ME ANYTHING

I like the 2 mph, but the .1 is pretty marginal. I don't even know if that is worth the time and expense...unless I wind up stuck back in the 12's.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread