really cheap cai

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Even the best CAI on the market, requiring a MAF sensor remap in the PCM, for a N/A 5.0L engine isn't worth very much power increase. I doubt the "no tune" versions would even be worth your investment. The MAF tube on a no tune version should theoretically be the same size as OEM, or a tune would be required.

In this case, the phrase "go big or go home" really applies.

Last edited:

nocobrafornow

Established Member
by the looks of the pics, i'm assuming it's made of metal because the fittings are welded on. i never understood that becasue the metal would hold more heat. so not a cold air kit. thats just me.

BigMackCoyote

I have a Boost Leak!
Established Member
by the looks of the pics, i'm assuming it's made of metal because the fittings are welded on. i never understood that becasue the metal would hold more heat. so not a cold air kit. thats just me.

It's made of aluminum and aluminum dissipates heat extremely well but also will heat soak faster than the plastic. It probably just comes down to preference.
The afe i had on my srt8 was plastic but was also twice that amount on money. I would think aluminum is probably cheaper.

Last edited:

Impetuous

Common sense isn't common
Established Member

Same view here. Why would I change the plastic for a metal one? Also, it seems like there's very little to gain if you can install it without a tune. The maf area looks small, so I think all the gains are due to the bigger air filter IMO.

Tucker

No tune = no power. A/M doesn't even have a dyno video or numbers
Aluminum = heat sink/super conductor. 3rd fastest metal to absorb heat and transfer heat. Where does that heat transfer to? I'll let you figure that one out :)

Cheap cost? yes, but $179 for little gains isn't cheap is it?

Impetuous

Established Member
No tune = no power. A/M doesn't even have a dyno video or numbers
Aluminum = heat sink/super conductor. 3rd fastest metal to absorb heat and transfer heat. Where does that heat transfer to? I'll let you figure that one out :)
Cheap cost? yes, but $179 for little gains isn't cheap is it?

The same thing as as an intake that is plastic, cost more, requires a tune and produces power on the dyno BUT it doesn't translate at the track. Money can be spent somewhere else. :nonono: It has been shown over and over again with different folks at different tracks. I'll get a "cold air" intake when somebody shows me the gains at the track with it.

Last edited:

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
The same thing as as an intake that is plastic, cost more, requires a tune and produces power on the dyno BUT it doesn't translate at the track. Money can be spent somewhere else. :nonono: It has been shown over and over again with different folks at different tracks. I'll get a "cold air" intake when somebody shows me the gains at the track with it.

+1.

I talked to Shaun about this very issue earlier this week.

Mike

Tucker

Power at the track is dependent on the tune and tuner, not the intake.
We move literally hundreds of intakes each month through some of the best tuners in the country. If they didn't "work" they wouldn't sell.

I see more high 11 and low 12 second stock box/tuned cars and more solid 11 second cars that have an intake.

Sounds like more testing needs to be done with different intakes and different tunes.

Not here to argue, so that's my piece and I'm out.
Enjoy
Thanks
Jay

Impetuous

Established Member
Power at the track is dependent on the tune and tuner, not the intake.
We move literally hundreds of intakes each month through some of the best tuners in the country. If they didn't "work" they wouldn't sell.

I see more high 11 and low 12 second stock box/tuned cars and more solid 11 second cars that have an intake.

Sounds like more testing needs to be done with different intakes and different tunes.

Not here to argue, so that's my piece and I'm out.
Enjoy
Thanks
Jay

Business is business and every shop or vendor knows that. Go tell Shaun from AED or Kris Danner about solid 11 sec cars with "cold air" intakes lol

Last edited:

Tucker

It's cool, a couple tuners running impressive times with the stock box. Props to them, but so many "normal" people not without more mods. Mods including an intake. HP has been proven time and time again by big shops and magazines on the dyno, so to say it doesn't work on the track for shawn or danner is not painting a good light for the street tuning now is it? Lol. Shawns super smart and super cool, but he's never tested out product. A couple killer drivers/tuners run impressive times, but too many need more mods to go 11s and it works. Not business, facts.:)
Intakes opening the airway have worked for 50+ years, that didn't stop in 2011lol.
Intake works, but its the tuning that makes it get down the track. Better breathing isn't a myth for all these years. Lol.

Shaun@AED

For the record once I dip into the 10's with the stock setup, I plan on buying a Cold Air.
I've got to review a bunch of datalogs from customer with CAI's...I will choose the unit with the smoothest logged Maff curve. I call it 'noise'.
These new Maff's pick up everything.

Impetuous

Established Member
For the record once I dip into the 10's with the stock setup, I plan on buying a Cold Air.
I've got to review a bunch of datalogs from customer with CAI's...I will choose the unit with the smoothest logged Maff curve. I call it 'noise'.

Thank you Shaun for peeking in. Your acomplishments show that a cold air may not be necessary until you're trying to run 10s consistently and that still have to be proven.

wbt

Banned
It's cool, a couple tuners running impressive times with the stock box. Props to them, but so many "normal" people not without more mods. Mods including an intake. HP has been proven time and time again by big shops and magazines on the dyno, so to say it doesn't work on the track for shawn or danner is not painting a good light for the street tuning now is it? Lol. Shawns super smart and super cool, but he's never tested out product. A couple killer drivers/tuners run impressive times, but too many need more mods to go 11s and it works. Not business, facts.:)
Intakes opening the airway have worked for 50+ years, that didn't stop in 2011lol.
Intake works, but its the tuning that makes it get down the track. Better breathing isn't a myth for all these years. Lol.

Here we go again......

I am not kdanner or Shaun and have done just fine with the stock CAI. Tune/tire only.
[youtube_browser]QON4fQ6jm4E[/youtube_browser]

I have your plastic CAI and plan to put this to rest very soon at the track as you very well know.

What is not mentioned on these "CAI's" (in reality they are hot air intakes) is that all this magazine and shop dyno testing is done with the HOOD OPEN. Close that hood and the numbers are damn near identical to the stock CAI.

I don't drive around with the hood open, do you?

BTW - there are several members on modularfords who have done back-to-back testing at the track on the same day and have reported 0 measurable gains.

Last edited:

kingnut

Established Member
i drove around with my hood open, now i have an engine cold air intake. kinda like homer simpson with speed holes in his hood, only mine is better.

tumblr_lzbmjoWE8M1r8yo2fo2_500.jpg

tumblr_lzbmjoWE8M1r8yo2fo1_500.jpg

Last edited:

Tucker

If you want to try out one of ours Shaun, feel free to call me direct. 757 335 1940
Your a cool stand up guy who wants to keep things civil and I appreciate that.

The more you test the more of a chance you have to figure out the TQ issue.
:beer:

Thanks
Jay

Tucker

n/a i picked up .1 and 2 mph with a cai at the track
That's right on par with the dyno gains.
Adding our intake to a tuned GT we typically pick up 12-15 RWHP.
.1 & 2mph is about 12-15 RWHP.

Just looking at the time slip list on this forum nearly all 11 second cars have a filter/intake and most 12 second cars have the stock box.

Lund tune Terry?

WBT, why the hostility? :shrug: Shaun has said over and over the issue with some not gaining time at the track is due to the tables in the tune.

If the cars are making 12-15 more HP on the dyno and the tune isn't getting it to the ground more work should be put into the tune instead of trying to discredit the intake, wouldn't you think?

Intakes don't just stop working in 2011 Mustangs.

As for dynoing with the hood up, it must be done that way to be fair. There are only a couple dyno shops that have dyno cells that can control the temps and wind as if the car is driving on the street. Arrington has this and Travis this sites owner tested the Airaid intake on it and with the hood closed and it still picked up power.

When driving under hood temps are not as hot as some think. Once moving they come down fast. Check it with your stock box. It goes up at idle and comes down at speed. The difference I have found in testing is that the open filter IAT's come down faster than the stock box does.

I just did this today with my 2011 GT Roush blower car with JLT Big Air Intake.
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZRE5RqP5oQ"]IAT Temp test - YouTube[/nomedia]

At 45 mph IAT's were only 2 degrees higher than ambient.

With the air inlet on the 2011's under hood temps don't get much higher than 10-15 degrees above ambient in slow speed traffic.

So dynoing with the hood closed and a small fan isn't doing the intake justice.

So their not "hot air Intakes" at all.
I say test, test and test. If you make power on the dyno, work more on the tune to get it to the ground.

An air intake is the # 1 -#2 mod every car owner does and that's not because they don't work.

You guys running 11's with the stock box are killer drivers and tuners, congrats!!:beer:
Once you get the tune down for the good intakes you'll be even faster.

Thanks
Jay

Users who are viewing this thread