quadrant change with aftermarket clutch?

bpcobra

Established Member
I'm about to install an McLeod RXT twin disc clutch and it looks like it is recommended that the quadrant be replaced as well since it is weaker than the aftermarket ones. My question is if the geometry of the shift fork and the pedal haven't changed, shouldn't the tension in the cable be less if the force at the pedal is so much less than stock? Wouldn't that imply the stock quadrant is sufficient?

I can understand changing things out for adjustability, but not because it isn't strong enough.

619Cobra04

Mystic Cobra
Established Member
I'm not sure, but my RXT sucks... Can't go above 7# of boost without crazy slip. Trying to get McLeod to warranty my clutch, but they don't answer phones or call back apparently :/

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I'm not sure, but my RXT sucks... Can't go above 7# of boost without crazy slip. Trying to get McLeod to warranty my clutch, but they don't answer phones or call back apparently :/

Sorry to hear, but not consistant with most of the feed back I have heard about these clutches.

Do your own install?
New flywheel or new friction insert?
Is there a break in recommended?
Is the adjustment dead on?

Try emails if you can't get through via phone.

McLeod is not going anywhere, they are a very reputable company.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
part of the problem is that the plastic factory quadrant can strip and skip teeth easily. your thinking process is right tho, that it should work in theory. and it might even be fine for a while... but i would highly recommend doing the aftermarket setup. i think most of the hi-po clutch manufacturers recommend it too.

best of luck with it

SVTgsxrdude

Established Member
I waited to do the quadrent and now I wish i would have done it before i put the clutch in

my92gt

Established Member
Sorry to hear, but not consistant with most of the feed back I have heard about these clutches.

Do your own install?
New flywheel or new friction insert?
Is there a break in recommended?
Is the adjustment dead on?

Try emails if you can't get through via phone.

McLeod is not going anywhere, they are a very reputable company.

I too have the same slipping problem..

Jimmy I did do my own Install. I sent my flywheel to McLeod for new heat shields to be installed. I have 15 miles on it. They recommend lots of city driving(1200-1400 pushing pedal in/releasing or the normal 500 miles). I did adjust the quadrant to where the TOB just meets the pressure plate teeth!! The clutch install was pretty much straight forward with the video and instructions.

cobracide

Established Member
Is the clutch cable too tight? That will cause slip. Sounds like an adjustment/install issue. There needs to be a bit of slack in the cable.

my92gt

Established Member
^^ I will go through everything this afternoon when I get off work. My clutch tranny mods are:
Mcleod heat shields on stock flywheel, McLeod RXT, 26 spline input shaft, LP TOB BILLET SLEEVE, detent bolt mod(2 copper washers), FRPP TOB & Clutch fork, LDC free play kit(spring on clutch cable), fiore firewall adjuster, fiore clutch quadrant, and MGW shifter

P.S. sorry OP if I thread jacked.

Last edited:

bpcobra

Established Member
I can see replacing to fix a slipping issue. It might be worth it just to get it all taken care of at once.

Forgive my ignorance on this, I'm still pretty new to mustangs and am trying to learn. Is the stock cable adjustable?

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
I'd recommend that you use a FRPP HDTOB and not the one supplied with the clutch if you stay with the OEM quadrant. If history is any judge, the one supplied with he clutch (and that seems to be the same for most if not all makes), it will start making noise. Of course even FRPP TOBs could start making noise too.

And history has shown that a squealing TOB will annoy the living crap out of most Cobra owners. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But it does. Try doing a search on "TOB noise" and note all the complaints. A lot of OEM TOBs were replaced under warranty. No guarantees in this arena.

If you are going to do the install yourself, whichever TOB you use, if it doesn't work out, you can go right back in for the cost of a TOB and your time. I have to pay to have it changed so it would cost me a lot more than the cost of another TOB, so I go for broke the first time and do it all.

Good luck

619Cobra04

Mystic Cobra
Established Member
I too have the same slipping problem..

Jimmy I did do my own Install. I sent my flywheel to McLeod for new heat shields to be installed. I have 15 miles on it. They recommend lots of city driving(1200-1400 pushing pedal in/releasing or the normal 500 miles). I did adjust the quadrant to where the TOB just meets the pressure plate teeth!! The clutch install was pretty much straight forward with the video and instructions.

Only 15 miles? I've put about 1500 and still slips :/... I had everything adjusted and professionally installed.

my92gt

Established Member
I called McLeod today and they said the instructions have changed.. I torqued mine down to 30lbs of torque.. Well they said in a star pattern hand tighten all bolts until the teeth of the pressure plate stop pulling towards the flywheel, then tighten all bolts in a star pattern to 35lbs of torque.. This will help the clamp load.. Also they said even if all teeth are within .25 hundredths on an ing that it's fine. Once the first TOB push is made that all teeth on PP will straighten out. The rep also said the TOB has to be off the PP one hundredths of an inch.. He said he will email me instruction tomorrow so I will post in this thread what he sends me

bpcobra

Established Member
If I change out the quadrant do I also have to put in the firewall adjustor? Am I correct in assuming the adjustment is lost on the quadrant and moved to the firewall adjustor? Are there any writeups on how the stock and aftermarket ones work? I'm curious to see how the automatic adjustment works.

my92gt

Established Member
Get the fiore firewall adjuster and UPR triple hook(use up to the 2nd hook) or STEEDA double hook. As the instructions from Lee at McLeod for my "slipping" clutch:

When bolting the pressure plate down with your RS/RXT make sure to tighten the 12pt nuts of the pressure plate until the fingers of the pressure plate stop travelling towards the flywheel. Then torque them to 35 ft lbs. You want .350-.380 of bearing travel from the time the bearing touches the fingers of the pressure plate.

Users who are viewing this thread