Purchased a half breed...

dykzeulb

Established Member
After selling my 1995 SN...I felt a little empty- ended up installing a pro charger on my 18 f-150 to fill the void, well it didn’t quite please like slamming gears and getting that mustang rumble. In an effort to get that feeling back, I ended up working a deal on a half breed. Mach 1 block, cobra top end with Eaton, cobra interior, exterior, IRS, T-56. I didn’t do the swap, nor did the guy I got the car from. It has its share of issues, paint being a big one, and some minor transmission issues that I want to tackle.

The car started out as an auto GT, then the motor came from an 03 Mach, T-56 swapped to 26 tooth from a Cobra. The car absolutely shits and gets!

The issues I need to look into: Aside from the cluster looking like a Christmas tree, and random vacuum lines plugged under the hood- my biggest pet peeve is the speedo isn’t working nor is the odometer, the previous guy mentioned the speed sensor on the tail shaft is unplugged, because it was reading way off (higher than what he was traveling) when the weather gets nice that’ll be the first thing to take care of. He EXU is the one from the GT- would swapping dash and engine harnesses from a cobra and a ecu from a cobra be a better way to go than trying to clean up these connections he made, would I have less issues with compatibility? As far as speed syncing, what’s the easiest way to go about getting it accurate? The whole swapped car is probably over my head, just trying to get this thing to where I can daily it when I want and not have any concerns. Right now the speedo and odo are primary concerns.

Appreciate any help or suggestions any has!

Attachments

• 8517B186-D4C3-4F36-B7C0-4AF1A9AD6176.jpeg
    8517B186-D4C3-4F36-B7C0-4AF1A9AD6176.jpeg
    143.7 KB · Views: 222

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Sounds like the car is going to be a (not) fun one to sort out.

Step number one before beating on it is making sure the tune is safe, you don't want to grenade the motor right away. To do this yourself you will need a wideband O2 sensor and datalogging software. Or you can take it to a tuner to have him do a couple pulls to make sure the A/F ratio is good. With as many issues as the car has a tuner might not want to touch it though.

Anyway, can't help too much more other than when I changed the rear gears in my Cobra, all I had to do was get a handheld tuner and update the gear ratio through the OBD2 port. I'm not sure if things are more complicated than that with the GT ecu and dash.

dykzeulb

Established Member
So he put cobra emblems / bumpers / brakes / mirrors / spoiler on a GT?

what a shitload of work

Not quite, the car has been transformed from a GT, to a cobra less the block, which I believe to be aluminum from a Mach. Brakes, suspension, IRS, complete interior. The shell and the ecu/ wiring remained from the Gt (I believe) just picked it up, performance wise it’s doing a hell of a lot more my turbski sn95 cobra did.

dykzeulb

Established Member
Sounds like the car is going to be a (not) fun one to sort out.

Step number one before beating on it is making sure the tune is safe, you don't want to grenade the motor right away. To do this yourself you will need a wideband O2 sensor and datalogging software. Or you can take it to a tuner to have him do a couple pulls to make sure the A/F ratio is good. With as many issues as the car has a tuner might not want to touch it though.

Anyway, can't help too much more other than when I changed the rear gears in my Cobra, all I had to do was get a handheld tuner and update the gear ratio through the OBD2 port. I'm not sure if things are more complicated than that with the GT ecu and dash.

I appreciate the reply. I’m going to mess with the x4, and mess around in forscan and see what I can do.

shurur

Established Member
They all sorta started as gt mustangs..
Sounds like a terminator with al wap block.
Not too bad really...and could actually be lots of fun sorting it all out...and a great learning experience.
Congrats on your purchase.
Keep us posted.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nice find. Everyone likes a challenge. Definitely keep us posted as you progress. It may not be a Terminator from birth, but it will be a fun driver that should be worth a ton of shits and giggles.

dykzeulb

Established Member
Ended up getting a T56 harness spliced in, speedo works, is running double over and causing the car to idle higher due to the speedo being way off, its driveable, but running in 3k minimum while shifting isnt good with me, so disconnected it until we get the next issue fixed - PCM is locked according to SCT, as my X4 will not tune it. Any one have any advice as to how to get that replaced without getting bent at a dealer? I have forscan access.

Car is running like a dream, took it to Accurate Performance in KCK, let the owner drive the car, he said the clutch wasnt holding on the high end, felt like it was slipping since he thinks its putting down more power than what it will hold 5-550, looking into a RAM HD clutch rated to 6. Will be replacing the clutch cable too as it feels like it is melted against the headers. May as well go for a rear main seal and a pan gasket as mine is seeping some. We did notice a highspeed/ high RPM vibration coming from the drivetrain, need to pin that down. If we get the car into 5th or 6th, and go in neutral with a rev, its there - ideas?

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Not quite, the car has been transformed from a GT, to a cobra less the block, which I believe to be aluminum from a Mach. Brakes, suspension, IRS, complete interior. The shell and the ecu/ wiring remained from the Gt (I believe) just picked it up, performance wise it’s doing a hell of a lot more my turbski sn95 cobra did.
For what the idiot paid for all that he could ha gotten a real cobra. Hopefully you didn’t pay too much for your fake tan

dykzeulb

Established Member
For what the idiot paid for all that he could ha gotten a real cobra. Hopefully you didn’t pay too much for your fake tan
Salty are we? Look, I get it - I didn't build it, I enjoy going fast, enjoy having some power and listening to a supercharger whine aside from my 18 F-150. You didn't hurt my feelings. I understand what he could have bought for the same price he put into it. but I have less that 4K in the car, which was a steal. Im not paying 20k for a beat termi here in Missouri, and am more than happy with my "fake tan". Im not claiming it to be a "Cobra", as I stated above "Purchased a half breed". Hate all you want man, I get it - but your not going to get much of a rise out of me. Its a blast and throwing out alot more HP than most termis in our area.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Salty are we? Look, I get it - I didn't build it, I enjoy going fast, enjoy having some power and listening to a supercharger whine aside from my 18 F-150. You didn't hurt my feelings. I understand what he could have bought for the same price he put into it. but I have less that 4K in the car, which was a steal. Im not paying 20k for a beat termi here in Missouri, and am more than happy with my "fake tan". Im not claiming it to be a "Cobra", as I stated above "Purchased a half breed". Hate all you want man, I get it - but your not going to get much of a rise out of me. Its a blast and throwing out alot more HP than most termis in our area.
Salty? not really. I wasn't slamming your decision to buy. if it gives you what you want that is all that matter. and there is not such thing as a "termi" they don't exist. Frankly the only thing on your car that I have an issue with is the idiot builder putting the cobra badges on it. it's not a cobra, the badge doesn't belong. and I know you are not claiming it to be a cobra. still a fake tan but as long as you enjoy it that is all that matters

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Hell of a deal at $4k. I would have bought as many as I could find at that price and left the badges on just to troll all the TERMI FO LYFE boyz.

Congrats OP!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

dykzeulb

Established Member
Thanks, Love it so far, it'll be a fun project. Would love to find a roller in any other color, and swap everything over - cheaper than trying to paint the #shitbox

@RDJ
No such thing as a termi? Lol, boy for someone with "zero shits given" you sure are petty

Attachments

• 2qu3v2.jpg
    2qu3v2.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 91

shurur

Established Member
Ended up getting a T56 harness spliced in, speedo works, is running double over and causing the car to idle higher due to the speedo being way off, its driveable, but running in 3k minimum while shifting isnt good with me, so disconnected it until we get the next issue fixed - PCM is locked according to SCT, as my X4 will not tune it. Any one have any advice as to how to get that replaced without getting bent at a dealer? I have forscan access.

Car is running like a dream, took it to Accurate Performance in KCK, let the owner drive the car, he said the clutch wasnt holding on the high end, felt like it was slipping since he thinks its putting down more power than what it will hold 5-550, looking into a RAM HD clutch rated to 6. Will be replacing the clutch cable too as it feels like it is melted against the headers. May as well go for a rear main seal and a pan gasket as mine is seeping some. We did notice a highspeed/ high RPM vibration coming from the drivetrain, need to pin that down. If we get the car into 5th or 6th, and go in neutral with a rev, its there - ideas?

My McLeod street was slipping like that. Never figured it out until clutch failed.
I insulated my clutch cable with a velcroed heat shield sleeve along the entie length of the cable..when the new exidy was installed...just because.

Metallic Heat Shield Sleeve Insulated Wire Hose Cover Wrap Loom Tube 3/4"

You have only 9 posts and you are shining like the sun!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread