Pullied cobra vs LS3 vette

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Correct.

He's right. A good friend of mine has a LS3 with a LG Gx cam, LG longtubes and mid pipe and a stock catback with a M2W switch and the heads have been slightly milled. The car makes 517/480 on a mild street tune and it runs like a scalded ape. Just last week he ran a club members C6 Z06 and put a beating on him. Soon to come is a A&A blower putting him 700rw on a easy pump tune.

Your car even with a twinscrew is going to have to be on it's game to beat a mod'd LS3.

Yup.

Yup. The new LS3 is the best bang for the buck out there right now. I sold my blown 93 Cobra to get a C6 Z06, but now I will be getting a C6 LS3 Vette and spend that extra money on mods that will eat a Z06 and Cobras for breakfast. :)

Pretty sure 700RWHP on a stock LS3 motor is asking for trouble. Is he also Forging his motor on top of his expensive blower?

Also pretty sure a TS Cobra running 16-18 PSI will beat a Cammed LS3 with supporting mods.

I will say, to make over 100 RWHP with just a Cam, and a couple of bolt-ons is damn impressive.:beer:

BoostFiend

Say NO to FUPA!
Established Member
I thought you said that the guy with the Cobra could drive. I've run 12.0's@121 on Sumitomo radials with 443 wheel. I guess I got lucky. In the end you still won and that is all I care about. Back to bench racing.

+1 how is running 12.0's at 123 proving he is a good driver? I don't consider myself a good driver and I can out perform him.

Good kill OP.

Last edited:

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
Also pretty sure a TS Cobra running 16-18 PSI will beat a Cammed LS3 with supporting mods.

LOL, nope. It gets proven on a regular basis around here. :thumbsup:

Vettes also have a nice weight advantage, aren't prone to the heatsoak issues that Cobras are and also have much better aerodynamics for top end.

I was a diehard Stang guy until recently. Owned 12 Stangs in a row. Just sold by blown 93 Cobra, about to sell my 03 Mach and get my first Vette to go Cobra hunting. :D

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
:bored: :sleeping:

Make sure to post the video..:thumbsup: The assumptions are so ridiculous in this thread.

NA_Cobra

Established Member
Correct.

Yup. The new LS3 is the best bang for the buck out there right now. I sold my blown 93 Cobra to get a C6 Z06, but now I will be getting a C6 LS3 Vette and spend that extra money on mods that will eat a Z06 and Cobras for breakfast. :)

Before getting all bonzai and confident with your future purchase of a C6 LS3, here's a friendly word of advice: Anything you do to a LS3 you can do to an LS7 and make 100+ more rwhp. A cam/LT only LS3 is just as fast as an intake/tune C6Z and you can pretty much infer from there what a cam/LT only C6Z will do to A H/C LS3 from there. If you go the LS3 route, a cam and blower (650+rwhp) would suite you just nice and keep you in front of H/C C6Zs, Just hope that you don't come across a C6Z with an H/C/I spray setup.

Last edited:

SSmokinn SS

Established Member
Before getting all bonzai and confident with your future purchase of a C6 LS3, here's a friendly word of advice: Anything you do to a LS3 you can do to an LS7 and make 100+ more rwhp. A cam/LT only LS3 is just as fast as an intake/tune C6Z and you can pretty much infer from there what a cam/LT only C6Z will do to A H/C LS3 from there. If you go the LS3 route, a cam and blower (650+rwhp) would suite you just nice and keep you in front of H/C C6Zs, Just hope that you don't come across a C6Z with an H/C/I spray setup.

the 6.2L has thicker sleeves which make it a superior F/I motor compared to the LS7 which the sleeves are paper thin. F/I or spray with anything over a 125 shot on a LS7 is asking for trouble. The cylinder walls are just too thin and dont dispense the heat fast enough and do crack where the LS3 has thicker sleeves due to the bores being smaller

dont believe me, look it up. I just had a friend crack a sleeve or two from going with a 75-100 shot to 6psi on a procharger.

i will find the article if you dont believe me.

also, the LS7 has titanium connecting rods where the LS3 doesnt.

Last edited:

stangliter04

Established Member
I shouldn't have any problem with a H/C/I/Blower/N2O C6Z after I install these! :rockon:

shuttleboosters.jpg

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
the 6.2L has thicker sleeves which make it a superior F/I motor compared to the LS7 which the sleeves are paper thin. F/I or spray with anything over a 125 shot on a LS7 is asking for trouble. The cylinder walls are just too thin and dont dispense the heat fast enough and do crack where the LS3 has thicker sleeves due to the bores being smaller

yes, isn't that one of the main reasons chevy went with the 6.3 (or whatever) for the zr-1?

i am not too knowledgeble about vettes. but it sure sounds like even us terminator guys even with any twin-screw will be having tough times!

damn these newer cars are so fast

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
LOL, nope. It gets proven on a regular basis around here. :thumbsup:

Vettes also have a nice weight advantage, aren't prone to the heatsoak issues that Cobras are and also have much better aerodynamics for top end.

I was a diehard Stang guy until recently. Owned 12 Stangs in a row. Just sold by blown 93 Cobra, about to sell my 03 Mach and get my first Vette to go Cobra hunting. :D

That's fine and all, but it is simple math. I've seen about a dozen TS Cobra running 10.6's and 10.7's trapping 130+. Between a Cammed LS3 and a TS Cobra, there is approx. a 100RWHP difference.

Also, a TS Cobra won't heat soak as badly as you think it will. With the new efficient Blower, an Aftermarket H/E(which is practically required with a blower mod like a whipple or KB) a new intercooler, et. they won't heat soak, and will actually run tremendously stronger even for a 3800+ lb car with driver, compared to the 3300+lb car you are thinking of buying.

Anyhow, enjoy your vette.:beer:

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member

LOL, fail. So misinformed.

dont believe me, look it up. I just had a friend crack a sleeve or two from going with a 75-100 shot to 6psi on a procharger.

100% on the mark. Also, the LS3 has a better drivetrain than the Z06. The 6060 is a better transmission, smoother shifts and can hold more power. The T56 (as you Cobra guys know) is a notorious piece of junk that's clunky at best in its shifting. For the price difference, you can build an LS3 car that will eat a mod'd Z06 alive, let alone about any Cobra that comes along.

And you can take my word for this, I'm around the fastest street cars in texas on a regular basis. Everything from full bolt on Z's with juice, to 1200rw TT Vipers and FGT's and Supras.

Don't believe me? Register on DallasRacing.net and bring your best shots. :D The fastest Cobra on the site is Foofinator's 04 Cobra, built 302 stroker and a 3.4 Whipple making 770rw and it's not even in the Top 10 fastest on the site.

Last edited:

NA_Cobra

Established Member

You can sleeve an LS7 and run boost nice and safely all day long. H/C/I and a small 50 or 75 dry shot will not hurt an LS7. There isn't anything wrong with titanium connecting rods, as the ZR1 uses the Titanium connecting rods as well. The problem lies with RPMs, the Z06 can turn to 7k-7.2k rpms and the ZR1 turns to 6.5k rpms.

NA_Cobra

Established Member
LOL, fail. So misinformed.

100% on the mark. Also, the LS3 has a better drivetrain than the Z06. The 6060 is a better transmission, smoother shifts and can hold more power. The T56 (as you Cobra guys know) is a notorious piece of junk that's clunky at best in its shifting. For the price difference, you can build an LS3 car that will eat a mod'd Z06 alive, let alone about any Cobra that comes along.

And you can take my word for this, I'm around the fastest street cars in texas on a regular basis. Everything from full bolt on Z's with juice, to 1200rw TT Vipers and FGT's and Supras.

Don't believe me? Register on DallasRacing.net and bring your best shots. :D The fastest Cobra on the site is Foofinator's 04 Cobra, built 302 stroker and a 3.4 Whipple making 770rw and it's not even in the Top 10 fastest on the site.

The 08+ C6Zs uses the 6060 tranny as well. I'm not the one misinformed sir.

H/C/I LS3 = 480-515rwhp 440-450rwtq
H/C/I LS7 = 550-610rwhp 510-550rwtq

Anything you do to an LS3, you can do to an LS7.

Last edited:

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
The 08+ C6Zs uses the 6060 tranny as well. I'm not the one misinformed sir.

H/C/I LS3 = 480-515rwhp 440-450rwtq
H/C/I LS7 = 550-610rwhp 510-550rwtq

Anything you do to an LS3, you can do to an LS7.

A LS3 can take a turn without blowing a motor. :lol:

Either way - LS3/LS7 > 03/04 Cobra/ GT500 :rockon:

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
A LS3 can take a turn without blowing a motor. :lol:

Either way - LS3/LS7 > 03/04 Cobra/ GT500 :rockon:

Guess that depends.

If you are comparing the strength of the Internals from an LS3/LS7 to a Cobra/GT500, the Cobra/GT500 have stronger motors. End of Story.

Big Displacement motors will always make more power. Any car can be made fast. Sure. But, Bang for Buck goes to GT500/Cobra's hands down. That has been proven since 2003, and since 2007.

I understand you like Vettes. You are preaching to the choir here bub.

The T56 is still a very good transmission. Obviously the TR6060 is better.

While you throw a blower on your vette and not spend the 6-7K to build it, I'll throw a Turbo on my Cobra, and make more power safely and not have to fix anything. Unless my tune was garbage, but that is with any car bud.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Guess that depends.

If you are comparing the strength of the Internals from an LS3/LS7 to a Cobra/GT500, the Cobra/GT500 have stronger motors. End of Story.

Big Displacement motors will always make more power. Any car can be made fast. Sure. But, Bang for Buck goes to GT500/Cobra's hands down. That has been proven since 2003, and since 2007.

I understand you like Vettes. You are preaching to the choir here bub.

The T56 is still a very good transmission. Obviously the TR6060 is better.

While you throw a blower on your vette and not spend the 6-7K to build it, I'll throw a Turbo on my Cobra, and make more power safely and not have to fix anything. Unless my tune was garbage, but that is with any car bud.
True but he was comparing the C6 Z06 to the LS3. LS3 can handle more power without blowing up compared to the Z06. Best bang for buck can be a lot of different car's, there isnt one car that is the best bang for the buck. Depends on what you want the car for, obviously the LS3/Z06 is the best bang for the buck for an all around car, they would out handle and beat most Cobra's with mild mods. An LS3 with just intake, tune, LT's, exhaust should be good enough for a Whipple Cobra on the straight but the LS3 would beat it in the rest (braking, handling, etc). The Cobra/Shelby are not the best bang for the buck, they are one of the best car's for the buck.

F8l Vnm

Established Member
An LS3 with just intake, tune, LT's, exhaust should be good enough for a Whipple Cobra on the straight QUOTE]

I beg to differ on this one...
I dont think so ...That combination is good for about 430 rwhp on a LS3 car , a light boost whipple app cobra makes min. 550 rwhp ....Just my opinion :beer:

stangliter04

Established Member
An LS3 with just intake, tune, LT's, exhaust should be good enough for a Whipple Cobra on the straight QUOTE]

I dont think so ...That combination is good for about 430 rwhp on a LS3 car , a light boost whipple app cobra makes min. 550 rwhp ....Just my opinion :beer:

I agree

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_4pQD7eO3w"]YouTube - Whipple Cobra Vs Ported head,cam LS3[/ame]

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Well it can be a close match. FAsnakes posted a vid a while back but his car is a Vert. Anyways the Vette shouldnt be far with just those mods. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2u4VIqPank"]YouTube - 03 Whipple Cobra vs 08 LS3 Corvette w/ Full Exhaust[/ame]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread