PSA: Clean/Replace Dryer Duct With New Dryer Install

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
After 22 years, guess I shouldn't be surprised - lol. I just went ahead and installed all new duct, except where it exits the house. I ran a round duct brush through that portion it and vacuumed it out.

IMG_8954.jpeg
IMG_8961.jpeg
IMG_8963.jpeg
IMG_8962.jpeg

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Take hose off back of dryer, insert end of leaf blower, blast on high for 10 seconds, re-install hose to back of dryer. (y)

Good idea and justification to purchase a battery powered leaf blower.

You are very lucky you didn't have a fire !!

Yup.

I think the build-up is compounded by our cold climate. There's a flap on the duct door, but all it does is stop pests from entering.
When the dryer isn't operating during the frigid winter, cold air enters the duct, frosts up the duct, and freezes what's in there.
Turn the dryer on and it thaws out, but the residual moisture catches the lint missed by the trap in the dryer, and fills the duct.

I bet the oily Bounce dryer sheets add to the stickiness and weight of the lint, so it binds to the duct work even faster.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
This thread has me thinking about cleaning my own dryer duct. Haven't done it since we built the house 30 years ago! Most of the duct runs under the upstairs bathroom floor, so cleaning would be a bit of a job. The leaf blower idea is a good one, but I'd have to pull out the dryer and re-attaching the duct to the bottom of the dryer is a royal pain in the butt! I'm not seeing much accumulation looking through the duct door. I have no way of knowing if there is any accumulation closer to the dryer (and under the bathroom floor). :eek::unsure:o_O

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
This thread has me thinking about cleaning my own dryer duct. Haven't done it since we built the house 30 years ago! Most of the duct runs under the upstairs bathroom floor, so cleaning would be a bit of a job. The leaf blower idea is a good one, but I'd have to pull out the dryer and re-attaching the duct to the bottom of the dryer is a royal pain in the butt! I'm not seeing much accumulation looking through the duct door. I have no way of knowing if there is any accumulation closer to the dryer (and under the bathroom floor). :eek::unsure:o_O

LOL, mine is PVC pipe that runs 20+ feet under the concrete slab.

bird_dog0347

Established Member
I had to clean mine out a couple of years ago as it was blocked (goes up and out the roof) and my cleaner brush went all the way to the top and it seemed like it was completely clean, but the blockage was at the cap on the roof. Had to do a leaf blower and wrap my hands/towel around the inlet to get full pressure to blow it out of the opening on the roof. Also had my chimney cleaned a couple of years ago too, don't ignore that fellas.

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
I do mine once a year. Got the long brush, attach it to a drill, give it a good scrub, blow it out and done.
Couple tips:
1. Only run the drill in one direction - clock wise as it keeps the sections screwed together.
2. Use duct tape at the joints as an extra measure to avoid losing a section(s) in your duct.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
We used to do a lot of insurance work for Allstate in the 80's. Three dryer fires that were total losses. Nothing left but the foundation. I recall all those to be gas dryers though. It's good practice to keep the vent cleaned of lint. The worse fire job was a murder hire. The assassin poured gas in an oil tank used for home heating oil. House caught fire at night. Keep your oil tank filler locked up, if you use fuel oil to heat your home.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
FWIW, this is the dryer duct brush I purchased a couple years ago and finally used. It works pretty well. No complaints. It comes with a hex adapter that allows you to use it with your drill, which is nice. I just did it by hand.

Like @MDShelby mentioned, duct tape the sections together.

I don't think the nylon rods are quite as flexible as shown, but they do have to maintain some rigidity for the torque to turn the brush.

Had to laugh. Some of the chynese front company names are a hoot.

IMG_8970.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread