Project: STUPID UNICORN!!!! (Pic heavy)

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
You did an awesome job on the intake, I bet most people will have no idea this is a B head 5.4 unless they REALLY know what one of these engines look like.

NeverEnuff

NA!?!?!?!
Established Member
You did an awesome job on the intake, I bet most people will have no idea this is a B head 5.4 unless they REALLY know what one of these engines look like.

It would take a sharp eye to notice. Only things right off the bat are the welds on the intake, and then the crossover being attached with hose.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member

Thanks. That was the reason I also painted the block silver. To give it that "aluminum" look. Hopefully people at the track will just see the intake and color of the block and think its just a cammed b-head 4.6. :coolman:

Matt- You definitely helped me out. I knew I could always text you a question anytime (even though I think you truly don't sleep). lol.

I will say that as I started this build, I didn't think I needed some many tools. lol. Maybe that was a sign that I just needed more tools in general but damn. haha. I know for a fact I spent over $250 in just tools. Engine stand, torque wrench, ring filer, install piston into cylinder thingy, etc. LOL.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
It would take a sharp eye to notice. Only things right off the bat are the welds on the intake, and then the crossover being attached with hose.

The crossover tube looks funky not because of the radiator hose but because its a good 2" higher than the factory one. I put in the one that came with the blower kit cause I only wanted to mess with the crossover tube once. I have the blower bracket ready to just bolt-on. Only thing I would need to do is tap the pan and throw in another fuel pump in and she is ready to rock!

I think my wires look like ass. I have to re-wire them so that it looks neater.

Last edited:

BMR Tech

I wish we knew whether the COP swap is good or not for boost.....THAT would be a nice addition to your build. Or, modification....

I didn't have issues with the Turbo, BUT, I only ran 8.5 psi....

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
I wish we knew whether the COP swap is good or not for boost.....THAT would be a nice addition to your build. Or, modification....

I didn't have issues with the Turbo, BUT, I only ran 8.5 psi....

COPs suck, especially when they are used with the coil system of the 93-98 4vs. There's a reason why COPs are the ignition of choice for those running stock computers and spinning the engine to 7000 and higher.

BMR Tech

COPs suck, especially when they are used with the coil system of the 93-98 4vs. There's a reason why COPs are the ignition of choice for those running stock computers and spinning the engine to 7000 and higher.

Yeah, those 113K mile COPs on my car suck with 21psi.

:rolling:

I know what ya mean. I think it just looks so much cleaner, but the coilpack stuff definitely seems to be best.

ZAPPY

Established Member
So with the 5.4 being wider did u have shim the k member or have any fitment issues? I think this is a great build should be a nice change from the tq challenged 4.6! :beer:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Yeah, those 113K mile COPs on my car suck with 21psi.

:rolling:

I know what ya mean. I think it just looks so much cleaner, but the coilpack stuff definitely seems to be best.

Unlike the coils, COPS aren't meant to fire everyone the piston hits tdc (batch fire). The COPs work great with COP computers and under 7000 rpm combos. The nmca mean street street guys run a distributor or 96-98 setup.

In your low rpm, boosted combo the COPs work fine.:beer:

Goindeafonmtx

Established Member
I think I've gleaned that you used an iron block. What the weight difference between aluminum teksid and iron 5.4? Aluminum 5.4 vs iron 5.4?

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Then it will be time for the auto trans.

Yeah probably. I already talked to Zak and he said the same thing. But he said go with a C4 over a 4R70W. Not sure if I can do that. I gotta have overdrive for when I want to cruise somewhere.

So with the 5.4 being wider did u have shim the k member or have any fitment issues? I think this is a great build should be a nice change from the tq challenged 4.6! :beer:

No shimming at all. The FMS shorty's are close to the body on the PS. I may have to grind a little off the xpipe where it connects to the header but that's it. But my hood closes fine. Thanks to my 3" cowl.

I think I've gleaned that you used an iron block. What the weight difference between aluminum teksid and iron 5.4? Aluminum 5.4 vs iron 5.4?

Alum teksid is 85lbs
Iron 5.4 99-01 is 185lbs
Iron 5.4 02+ (NVH) is 205 lbs
Alum 5.4 is 95lbs

Since I didn't want to spend 3g's on an alum 5.4 I bought a local 99 iron block for $50. lol. Had it pressure tested, magnofluxed, hot tanked, and the mains checked.

Last edited:

SNK_RATH

Established Member
:rockon: :bowdown: Holy shit ...I can't wait to hear it running and see those numbers !!!

Users who are viewing this thread