Project: STUPID UNICORN!!!! (Pic heavy)

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Unlike the coils, COPS aren't meant to fire everyone the piston hits tdc (batch fire). The COPs work great with COP computers and under 7000 rpm combos. The nmca mean street street guys run a distributor or 96-98 setup.

In your low rpm, boosted combo the COPs work fine.:beer:

I guess I'm the only one with no issues??? My car just got retuned put down 660rwhp on 17ish psi when peak power was made.. We also spun my motor to 7500rpm and made 21psi on my centri with no issues at all with spark.. I have the COP conversion and I'm making plenty of power with them.. Within the next month I'll have numbers on E85 and will probably be making close to 700rwhp with the COP's.. They seem to work fine into the 7500rpm range.. Now if you're talking 8000+rpm which I don't even think the 94-98 computers can run, then that's a different story..

But again I wouldn't be worried at all switching to the conversion setup.. :beer:

Last edited:

NVRL8TE

Death or Glory
Established Member
Unbelievable. If you only knew how inspired I am. I hope I can get the same support you have! What nice guys!

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Well I tried to start it this weekend. But when I started putting in water down the crossover pipe I noticed that water was hitting the ground. :fm: I found that the oil adapter wasn't completely flush to the block. I didn't see this when the motor was on the stand and nor did I read anywhere that this is a problem. Its hitting those factory production "tabs" that are on the side of the block near the motor mounts. So needless to say I had to pull a motor mount, power steering pump, and the oil adapter to get to the tab. Going to grind it down to a nub to ensure nothing hits the adapter....sigh...So I'm on vacation this week and I'll try to get her fixed and buttoned up. :(

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Just a bump on the road. You'll soon have it completed and running strong. :)

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Well I guess there was a reason on why it was hitting the tab on the block. I grinded it down to a nub then test fitted the gasket and whatya know...the damn gasket was too small. I guess when I asked the parts store for a gasket for a 98 cobra that I should have said for a navigator. So off I went to the parts store to get the right one. So got that all back together. And started to put water back in it...................then............it happened......

Water began pouring down the back of the block. Mutha F*kka! I saw water in the valley so off the intake went. In trying to get my motor mount off to get to my oil adapter bolts I jacked it up to one side and managed to put a hole in my coolant tube that in the valley! F*ck my life!! Got that fixed. Before I put the intake back on I poured water and waited.......Eureka! no drips! Put the intake back on. I snapped some picks of it.

54lower_zpscff38c61.jpg

54upper_zps7f27e646.jpg

54upper2_zps6d593d7d.jpg

I WILL put oil in her tomorrow, get it primed, and fire this car up!!!!!

-Mark

gilby959798

Wyatt's daddy!
Established Member
Well I guess there was a reason on why it was hitting the tab on the block. I grinded it down to a nub then test fitted the gasket and whatya know...the damn gasket was too small. I guess when I asked the parts store for a gasket for a 98 cobra that I should have said for a navigator. So off I went to the parts store to get the right one. So got that all back together. And started to put water back in it...................then............it happened......

Water began pouring down the back of the block. Mutha F*kka! I saw water in the valley so off the intake went. In trying to get my motor mount off to get to my oil adapter bolts I jacked it up to one side and managed to put a hole in my coolant tube that in the valley! F*ck my life!! Got that fixed. Before I put the intake back on I poured water and waited.......Eureka! no drips! Put the intake back on. I snapped some picks of it.

54lower_zpscff38c61.jpg

54upper_zps7f27e646.jpg

54upper2_zps6d593d7d.jpg

I WILL put oil in her tomorrow, get it primed, and fire this car up!!!!!

-Mark

Hell yeah! Can't wait to see some videos

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Oh forgot to mention.... when I got the motor in the car (with the intake on) the hood closed no problem. But I didn't try it with the 4" JLT CAI. Well it didn't. So I had to cut a 2x2" square out of the frame of my hood. Still didn't shut. :shrug: So I thought I had to buy a smaller CAI then I had a MacGyver moment. I grabbed a torch and started to heat the CAI where it was hitting the hood. After 30 secs of gently heating it back and forth it soften up. I then grabbed a piece of wood and pressed down on the pipe. I had to hold it for a few minutes until the pcv cooled off. The hood closes now. :rockon:

You can see where the normal diameter is vs the flattened section...

54jltcai_zpsdf7a1b2c.jpg

Chris.94GT

Established Member
Would there be any improvement in shortening the runners further? I have seen in the Aussie intakes and Cobra R intakes the runners are quite a bit shorter than those.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Did you start it yet

Nope. Wife wanted to go out to eat and me being on vaca I had to watch my boys all day. So when we got back from dinner, I had only 30 mins of daylight left. I want daylight when I start it. So tomorrow for sure or I'll be filing for a divorce! :lol:

Where is your MAF located? Fenderwell I suppose?

Yes in the fenderwell.

Would there be any improvement in shortening the runners further? I have seen in the Aussie intakes and Cobra R intakes the runners are quite a bit shorter than those.

I cut 1 5/8" off from them. I could go shorter but the shorter the runner the higher the peak and the more low end I lose.

2rbo97svt

Established Member
If it doesnt make what youe expect on the N/A set up what are you expecting to make on the paxton set up ? Awesome bud by the way .

Users who are viewing this thread