procharger or kenne bell

How should my motor be blown

• Total voters

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
Procharger's HQ is about fifteen minutes from where I sit right now and I've gotten to meet a couple guys that work there. I was hanging out with one of them this weekend while we helped put a saleen series IV blower on a 2000 s281. I was picking his brain a bit about the prochargers compared to a roots blower and a big downfall in my book for the centri blower is the loss of fuel economy. As I mentioned, the positive displacement blower doesn't have to see boost & I've knocked down 25 mpg with my cobra. The centrifugal blower, according to the guy from procharger, will best case scenario cost you 1 to 2 mpg...and that's keeping your foot out of it.

One BIG plus in my book is the procharger system is much easier to install. Another big plus is that it is cheaper than the kb or whipple. I'd still encourage you to go ride in both cars because they feel completely different.

czwalga00gt

Rx7 Soul Destructor
Established Member
TrueBlueGT said:
CZ, you're perfectly bass-ackwards on the blower characteristics. The centri builds more boost as rpm rises without respect to the rate of acceleration....only rpm. The positive displacement are controlled off of throttle position and, as was stated, you can keep it completely out of boost if you want. In my cobra, if I even tickle the boost gauge, I am accelerating faster than the majority of traffic. When I accelerate normally, the boost gauge never will move.

Guess you dont drive like me and my friends. :D

I'm completely aware of how they work, I have a procharger my good friend has a built KB. I know you can creep the rpms and pretty much go all the way to redline without boost if wanted. I guess I tend to accelerate faster than the majority of traffic as you put it. I've never driven his car, but i can tell you it does boost while DD.

virginiafiveo

L8RBTCH
Established Member
just to interject I had my blowzilla'd 5.0 on a test to prove how the bypass worked, all the way to 5000 RPM (holding a gear) used no boost getting there, and he saw I was not in boost (friend who didn't believe it) then I slammed the gas boost hit instantly and the car took off like a bat outta hell.....trust me boost isn't there unless you want it. :) one of the many perks of a KB blower.

WDW MKR

Established Member
czwalga00gt said:
Guess you dont drive like me and my friends. :D

I'm completely aware of how they work, I have a procharger my good friend has a built KB. I know you can creep the rpms and pretty much go all the way to redline without boost if wanted. I guess I tend to accelerate faster than the majority of traffic as you put it. I've never driven his car, but i can tell you it does boost while DD.

He can easily adjust the bypass to make it takes more throttle to create boost. That's the nice thing about the bypass... it can adjust for various driving styles and personal preferences. I've had mine all the way open so even WOT produced very little boost.

czwalga00gt

Rx7 Soul Destructor
Established Member
WDW MKR said:
He can easily adjust the bypass to make it takes more throttle to create boost. That's the nice thing about the bypass... it can adjust for various driving styles and personal preferences. I've had mine all the way open so even WOT produced very little boost.

Good to know.... wasnt aware the bypass was adjustable. :thumbsup:

Stang GT

Bring it on!!!
Established Member
hey guys thanks soo much for the info you guys provided. I order my prochager stage 2 kit today hope to see it soon i will also be upgrading to a spec stage 2 clutch ... hope to be posting numbers soon

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Stang GT said:
hey guys thanks soo much for the info you guys provided. I order my prochager stage 2 kit today hope to see it soon i will also be upgrading to a spec stage 2 clutch ... hope to be posting numbers soon

Cool have fun with it!!!

Just make sure you get a dyno tune before you play with it. Or you you may be picking up pieces from the ground.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
Stang GT said:

Sweet! Are you going to do the install yourself? It isn't very hard...just takes some time. As was said before, make damn sure you tune it before playing or you'll have random extra access points to the inside of your block:-D

Stang GT

Bring it on!!!
Established Member
no im actually having all the work done at mak performance here in florida, including a custome dyno tune

Red Shadow

Established Member
My vote goes to Kenne Bell now. If no one has heard yet. They just did a major upgrade to all their supercharger systems. The 1.7, 2.2, and 2.4 systems are no longer available. Instead they have the 2.1, 2.6, and 2.8 respectively. The new kits are called the Big Bore kits. From what I understand, they upgraded the size of the rotors so that that they generate the same amount of power with less boost than before. For you Cobra owners, the 2.8 kit supports over 1000HP with the right mods. They didn't say whether that is crank or RW though. Also, WDW MKR, that is great to know about the KB kits and the BP Valve. It will come in handy in the winter time when roads are slicker. I have a question about that though. Does the bypass valve just let the pressure out, or does it keep the rotors from turning and making boost? I think I might be close to ordering my supercharger sometime soon here. Although, I too, am still debating on Procharger vs. KB. I have always leaned toward KB though for the awesome power potential and that killer whine.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Red Shadow said:
My vote goes to Kenne Bell now. If no one has heard yet. They just did a major upgrade to all their supercharger systems. The 1.7, 2.2, and 2.4 systems are no longer available. Instead they have the 2.1, 2.6, and 2.8 respectively. The new kits are called the Big Bore kits. From what I understand, they upgraded the size of the rotors so that that they generate the same amount of power with less boost than before. For you Cobra owners, the 2.8 kit supports over 1000HP with the right mods. They didn't say whether that is crank or RW though. Also, WDW MKR, that is great to know about the KB kits and the BP Valve. It will come in handy in the winter time when roads are slicker. I have a question about that though. Does the bypass valve just let the pressure out, or does it keep the rotors from turning and making boost? I think I might be close to ordering my supercharger sometime soon here. Although, I too, am still debating on Procharger vs. KB. I have always leaned toward KB though for the awesome power potential and that killer whine.

It just lets the air go...the rotors are still turning

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
WDW MKR said:
+1 If your rotors stop turning while the engine is still running... you have big problems.

yeah that would suck vice blow lol

Red Shadow

Established Member
Double"O" said:
yeah that would suck vice blow lol

KK. I didn't know that as I don't have a supercharger. Good to know. For those that have the KB kits, did you install them yourselves or have a mech do it? If you did it yourself, how long did it take because I am out of days off til the next quarter.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Red Shadow said:
KK. I didn't know that as I don't have a supercharger. Good to know. For those that have the KB kits, did you install them yourselves or have a mech do it? If you did it yourself, how long did it take because I am out of days off til the next quarter.

I did mine with a freinds help....i hope you have alot of patience

It wasn't really bad...the directions are top notch but there are a few things that are a real bitch...you can do it in a weekend if you really work your ass off

shelbycobra

Established Member
pro charger or kenne bell

my 96 cobra has 2,265 miles on its new rebuilt.i had probe forged internals,and also balanced and blue printed.and im thinking of going either pro charger or kenne bell,i just dont know which one yet.because they both work great.i dont take my car to the track,just street driving.any advice on this,on which one.thanks

MysticJay96

Established Member
If it's staying on the street, I think you will like the the low-end from the Kenne Bell set up. It builds boost instantly and will work well with your 3:73's.

Users who are viewing this thread