Possibly moving to California

BlueSnake01

Established Member
What everyone said. SF is one of the most expensive cities to live in. To make you feel a lil bit better, traffic can be bad but never Los Angeles bad. I have family in Sacramento, about 1-2hrs? to San Francisco. Been there plenty of times. Its beautiful but wouldnt live there either.

Mentos

Earn this
Established Member
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

Someone asked what field I'm in; I'm in logistics, shipping receiving work now, however my background is varied. I will do whatever it takes, as long as I can get decent pay. I may start painting and selling some stuff...so I can put my useless BS in Art to use lol.

My gf works in sales and has been climbing the ladder for the past several years. She is passionate about what she does and I really admire that.

She might fly out next week to check some things out and talk to her director in SF. She is trying to come up with with a "list of demands" regarding salary, relocation expenses, possible temporary housing, etc. It's definitely a lot to think about, but she is taking it all into account. From I hear here she needs to ask for a LOT more money to make this move worth it.

I'm liking the suggestion of living outside of SF and commuting in. One other question, can I bring my old Fox Body, leave it registered with family in SC, so I don't have worry about emissions standards? Is that possible?

Last edited:

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
I was born and raised in the Bay Area and I miss it dearly. That being said the cost of living has increased everywhere and traffic is bad but not LA bad. I would recommend not looking at the East Bay only because you would have to cross the Bay Bridge and that is always a nightmare unless you take the BART tram. I would look at the Peninsula area (South of SF) for the nicer least traffic area.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

Someone asked what field I'm in; I'm in logistics, shipping receiving work now, however my background is varied. I will do whatever it takes, as long as I can get decent pay. I may start painting and selling some stuff...so I can put my useless BS in Art to use lol.

My gf works in sales and has been climbing the ladder for the past several years. She is passionate about what she does and I really admire that.

She might fly out next week to check some things out and talk to her director in SF. She is trying to come up with with a "list of demands" regarding salary, relocation expenses, possible temporary housing, etc. It's definitely a lot to think about, but she is taking it all into account. From I hear here she needs to ask for a LOT more money to make this move worth it.

I'm liking the suggestion of living outside of SF and commuting in. One other question, can I bring my old Fox Body, leave it registered with family in SC, so I don't have worry about emissions standards? Is that possible?

regarding the registration, think they have been clamping down on that the last few years, but from what I understand... more so for out of state expired tags. Keep the registration current and you will probably get away with it, though I probably would not drive it everyday. California has an anonymous internet hotline for smug do-gooders to report cars/drivers cheating the system with out of state tags. I am sure a resident member can chime in with a lot more info.

FWIW have some family in California, mostly Norcal and have always loved visiting. I don't think I could live there though, insane housing costs and taxes, but wishing you luck, its a beautiful state!

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
Your girlfriend should keep in mind that she will need a 80% to 100% raise just to maintain the same standard of living she has in Columbia SC.

Check the Cost of Living calculators on sites like nerdwallet and bankrate.

I moved from Denver to San Diego 6 years ago and got a very large raise. I still had significantly less discretionary income each month. I moved back to Denver this year and got a huge raise from the decreased cost of living, even with the same gross income. My state income tax went from 11% to 4.63%, my rent decreased by 60%, and my electric bill decreased by 90%.

Mentos

Earn this
Established Member
The company should be doing all the moving stuff, including a relocation advisor to answer all the questions, if not I would be concerned about making such a move for the company, at least at my age.....
Absolutely, I will see if she has looked into that.

VenomVeins

Established Member
Wow.... My nephew and his wife live in SF. NO FREAKING WAY WOULD I MOVE THERE! They couldn't pay me or my SO enough to move to that human cesspool of lefty liberal douchebaggery.

There are just TOO many downsides to living there.

U.M.

THIS X 4

Been there too many times to count over the years. Total shithole now.

Its gotten to the point where they made a damn Phone App to avoid the many piles of human feces littered around SF:

http://www.bustle.com/articles/1162...-avoid-human-waste-on-the-street-and-its-both

Your girlfriend should keep in mind that she will need a 80% to 100% raise just to maintain the same standard of living she has in Columbia SC.

Check the Cost of Living calculators on sites like nerdwallet and bankrate.

I moved from Denver to San Diego 6 years ago and got a very large raise. I still had significantly less discretionary income each month. I moved back to Denver this year and got a huge raise from the decreased cost of living, even with the same gross income. My state income tax went from 11% to 4.63%, my rent decreased by 60%, and my electric bill decreased by 90%.

Nice work. You're doing it right.

Reminds me of when I moved to South Beach Miami from L.A. and essentially got a 50% raise doing the exact same thing, but the cost of living was so much lower in Miami with no state taxes (It's still high, but not 'Manhattan Beach' high) that I had a great time partying my face off there in my mid 20's with alot of disposable income. Good Times.

I LOVE San Diego, but if my whole family wasnt here in SoCal (I was born and raised here), i would have moved a long time ago. San Diego is literally the only place I can stomach living in SoCal now, so if this place goes to hell like SF, im out of here to either Sedona, AZ or one of the gulf islands in Texas.

Last edited:

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
Nobody mentioned the bum problem in San Francisco. Watch I am Legend. It is similar to that. When the sun goes down all the bums crawl out of the shadows and take over. Everything closes early because there are so many bums nobody wants to go out.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member

regarding the registration, think they have been clamping down on that the last few years, but from what I understand... more so for out of state expired tags. Keep the registration current and you will probably get away with it, though I probably would not drive it everyday. California has an anonymous internet hotline for smug do-gooders to report cars/drivers cheating the system with out of state tags. I am sure a resident member can chime in with a lot more info.

that is right, if you live in California technically you only have 10 days to get your out-of-state vehicle registered. so if you are caught driving on oos tags they will impound your car. this happened to me when I first moved here from Pennsylvania. but it's understandable to want to do that, because the emissions laws here make life suck for a hot rodder.

I wouldn't let that stop you though, op - i have lived many places in our country and California really is a beautiful, scenic state with great weather and things to do - that's why i will probably die here. it is crowded and expensive, but for good reason. best of luck with your decision!

AAG

Established Member
that is right, if you live in California technically you only have 10 days to get your out-of-state vehicle registered. so if you are caught driving on oos tags they will impound your car. this happened to me when I first moved here from Pennsylvania. but it's understandable to want to do that, because the emissions laws here make life suck for a hot rodder.

But if the vehicle isn't in his name and the tags are up to date, he should be fine, right? You can't register a vehicle that isn't in your name.

VenomVeins

Established Member
Nobody mentioned the bum problem in San Francisco. Watch I am Legend. It is similar to that. When the sun goes down all the bums crawl out of the shadows and take over. Everything closes early because there are so many bums nobody wants to go out.

Its mentioned in the link in my last post as the sole reason for a "Shit" App you can download on any smartphone to avoid piles of human feces in SF. You are absolutely correct, btw.

The ****ing smell of Urine and Shit is overwhelming in SF. I used to think New York City was pretty bad with the urine smell, but SF has it beat by a mile. OP, your girl is going to regret this move......I honestly see no reason or upside to living in SF, or even visiting it at this point. Its gotten that bad in the last 20 years.

Bum capitol of the US, extremely high cost of living, constant piss/feces smell, tons of ****/trannies around (insert tenderloin district joke here), and elected liberals running it further into the ground every day. Forget using taxpayer money to fix streets, infrastructure, more cops to corral the bums, ect-they have important social programs to fund for the immigrants, LBGT community, and any other nonsensical bullshit you can think of.

Wait until OP swings by ANY of the public parks and witnesses the sheer MULTITUDE of bums smoking crack/meth, injecting heroin/meth, or anything else they can get thier hands on. As with thier defecating, they do this in PLAIN SIGHT.

I literally saw a bum sparking a glass pipe with a cop no more than 25 feet away with nothing being done about it, as well as them seemingly pissing all over the damn place (walls, trees, sidewalks, ect). If you're there more than a few days, its a GUARANTEE that you will see more than one pinch a loaf on the sidewalk or street.

Hell, in a smart move even the 49ers took off to Santa Clara.

Im not a religious man, but i'm damn sure its a modern day sodom and gomorrah.

Be prepared, OP. The grass isnt always greener on the other side.

Last edited:

Stanger00

Established Member
If you're worried about emissions, I know a guy. However, your first emissions test may have to be legal. If you're for sure moving and live here I will help you out. I won't ask until that happens but just letting you know there is help for hot rodders.

Also since your profession is logistics and you hold a class B or higher license BART pays storekeepers (parts/delivery) personal around $38 an hour at top scale. Probably start at $29 and you will too out on your 4th anniversary.

Remember everything costs a lot. Property taxes are high, sales tax is high, you pay a living wage tax on top of tipping at restaurants, state income tax is close to 10% on top of federal income tax. Let's not forget about gas tax and high insurance.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
But if the vehicle isn't in his name and the tags are up to date, he should be fine, right? You can't register a vehicle that isn't in your name.

oh, yes that is true if it is not in his name (missed the part where he said that, sorry)

honestly tho, if he drives the car a lot then I would recommend not trying to circumvent it.

Stanger00

Established Member
oh, yes that is true if it is not in his name (missed the part where he said that, sorry)

honestly tho, if he drives the car a lot then I would recommend not trying to circumvent it.

This is true. People do report you like mentioned above. Fox body's have a bad reputation out here thanks to those Oakland sideshows.

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
Its mentioned in the link in my last post as the sole reason for a "Shit" App you can download on any smartphone to avoid piles of human feces in SF. You are absolutely correct, btw.

The ****ing smell of Urine and Shit is overwhelming in SF. I used to think New York City was pretty bad with the urine smell, but SF has it beat by a mile. OP, your girl is going to regret this move......I honestly see no reason or upside to living in SF, or even visiting it at this point. Its gotten that bad in the last 20 years.

Bum capitol of the US, extremely high cost of living, constant piss/feces smell, tons of ****/trannies around (insert tenderloin district joke here), and elected liberals running it further into the ground every day. Forget using taxpayer money to fix streets, infrastructure, more cops to corral the bums, ect-they have important social programs to fund for the immigrants, LBGT community, and any other nonsensical bullshit you can think of.

Wait until OP swings by ANY of the public parks and witnesses the sheer MULTITUDE of bums smoking crack/meth, injecting heroin/meth, or anything else they can get thier hands on. As with thier defecating, they do this in PLAIN SIGHT.

I literally saw a bum sparking a glass pipe with a cop no more than 25 feet away with nothing being done about it, as well as them seemingly pissing all over the damn place (walls, trees, sidewalks, ect). If you're there more than a few days, its a GUARANTEE that you will see more than one pinch a loaf on the sidewalk or street.

Hell, in a smart move even the 49ers took off to Santa Clara.

Im not a religious man, but i'm damn sure its a modern day sodom and gomorrah.

Be prepared, OP. The grass isnt always greener on the other side.

So true about the bums dropping a deuce in plain sight. I went to House of Prime Rib for dinner and went outside to get my car and there was a bum taking a huge dump right outside on the sidewalk. It is funny how everyone rushes to get indoors when the sun goes down to avoid the hoard of bums that take over.

It also costs a lot of money to have a car there. You will pay to cross bridges and pay to park your car where ever you go. I was up there a couple months ago and made the mistake of staying in the heart of the city instead of my relatives house in Walnut Creek. Just to park my car was $54 a night per car. If anyone is planning on visiting San Francisco I highly recommend that you stay outside the city and take BART. Make sure you get out of there before the sun goes down.

VegasMichael

Established Member
I used to live south of Oakland in Alameda. It was not a bad commute to SF. But I did not particularly enjoy living in the Bay Area. I found most of the people extremely intolerant of those whose opinions differed from theirs.

Machdup1

Established Member
If you are open minded, non-judgemental, tolerant, have CARB# for all of your speed parts and are making bank the bay area is for you.

Users who are viewing this thread