Possibly moving to California

Mentos

Earn this
Established Member
Hello SVTPers! I will try to keep this as short as possible.

My girlfriend and I may be moving to San Francisco, CA. Her company has offered her a promotion which will take her from Columbia, SC all the way to San Francisco, CA. We have discussed our relationship and don't want to do the long distance thing, so I will be moving across country with her. I fully support her, since this would be a big step up for her (and honestly, I've been unhappy with my job for the last year). The move isn't set in stone just yet. She has to discuss the details of the position and salary with her superiors this week.

With that said, she has begun researching apartments in good-safe areas, the higher cost of living, moving costs, etc.

I have my own questions, so maybe some of you that live in or near San Francisco can point me/us in the right direction. Pardon me if I sound naive....I've never moved across the country, so this will be a learning experience for both she and I. She has covered some of this through her research, but I thought I'd ask here to see what suggestions I get.

For those that have moved long distance, can you recommend a good mover based on your experiences?
What are some good areas of San Fran to live?
Is it easier (and less expensive) to live outside of San Fran and commute in?
How is the overall job market around San Fran? (she can support us until I find a job, however I want to find something doable ASAP).
Is traffic really that bad? I hear CA interstate traffic can be the pits, but is it that bad in/around San Fran?
For those that live in/around San Fran, are you happy with your location?
Can I call it San Fran, or is that only something tourists call it?

I've got more questions, but I'm forgetting some of them. Any suggestions are appreciated!

bglf83

Established Member
Hope she is getting a mega raise, the cost of living increase will suck bad.

jrandy

Established Member
For those that have moved long distance, can you recommend a good mover based on your experiences?
How is the overall job market around San Fran? (she can support us until I find a job, however I want to find something doable ASAP).
Is traffic really that bad? I hear CA interstate traffic can be the pits, but is it that bad in/around San Fran?

I've got more questions, but I'm forgetting some of them. Any suggestions are appreciated!

I have never moved cross country, so I can't comment on that. However, I can answer some of the questions regarding SF.

* If you want to live in a nice area of SF, be prepared to shell out some serious money for rent.
* In my opinion, it is better to live outside of SF and commute in. I wouldn't recommend driven in to work each day. Take Caltrain in if possible. Caltrain will stop a few places in most Cities between San Jose and SF.
* If you work in tech, the job market is incredible. What is your background?
* Yes, traffic really is that bad. I work in San Jose (50ish miles south of SF). I try to take the train up and Uber to my destination depending when going to SF for work. If you are going to the outskirts, it's not nearly as terrible. However, driving to the Financial District in rush hour traffic will make you want to shoot yourself in the face.
* I personally love living in the Bay Area. Cost of living is sky high, but I wouldn't trade it in.
* I don't think you will catch any flack for calling it San Fran

Yes, the cost of living is through the roof. Yes, California's politicians and policy blow. However, IMO, I wouldn't trade it. Weather is beautiful most of the year, food is phenomenal, job market is booming, and you are in the epicenter of technology. There is so much rich history with tech.

Let me know if you have any additional questions. I'm not as well versed regarding living in SF as I never personally have. But I do have a few friends that live there and my work has an office there.

Russo

Unofficial Glass Tech
Established Member
A company moving TO California? I'd be worried about long term employment and the risk of getting stuck there when the state government collapses..

Rainmaker

2highPSI
Established Member
you should just move to San Diego and have her commute to San Fransisco daily.

On a serious note, nothing like Cali. I love it out here in San Diego. My ONLY complaint is the traffic. It's downright horrendous and seems to be getting worse.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
yeah i mean if you think the Vista apartments/cockaboose are expensive and Harbison/i26 is bad, San Fran is on another level

Last edited:

BladeX10

Established Member
A decent apartment in SF is like $2500+ and we arent even talking in the good area. Everything is stupid expensive in SF.

Best bet would to move to a place like Fairfield or something and commute to the city, Which also has its list of problems, Like traffic and bridge tolls.

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
Commute in, live outside of sf like 2oo3gt said. What's your profession if you don't mind sharing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

josephcostello

Established Member
I live in Los Altos, near mountain view and palo alto. I would definitely not recommend moving to San Francisco if you're not entirely in love with the big city life, it's very easy to move on the outskirts like the peninsula and other surrounding cities and commute to the city or take the train. For me the uncongested cities near me are busy enough, but that's just for me. I enjoy the city but also enjoy not having to be there all the time. Peninsula is nice (san jose, mountain view, santa clara) because you feel like you're in the heart of everything. Santa Cruz/ Half moon bay are 40 min away and san francisco is 30 min away. Beautiful drives through windy roads in the hills between the Bay area and Half moon Bay in which I still drive and find new roads all the time.

fmylife

Established Member
One of my companys bigger offices is located in San Leandro...most of those guys commute at least an hour just because of how expensive that area is.

SF isn't somewhere I'd move to but I enjoyed myself the times that I've been out that way for work. Hopefully everything works out for the both of you!

Stanger00

Established Member
The promotion and raise must be massive for her to afford to pay rent for an apartment in SF. I work for BART and majority of my co workers commit 1hr plus each way. It's normal and common for those kinds of commutes. The East Bay is nice but not as nice as the South Bay however the cost of living is lower as well and it has BART (commuter train) to bring you to SF from as far as Baypoint 40+ miles from the financially district.

Good luck.

I'm one of those who commutes on BART but I don't work in SF. Takes 45 minutes to drive to work and 1.5 hours to drive home. BART is pretty consistent with 1 hour rides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldmodman

Established Member
As has already been said expect to pay 4X or more for an equivalent size apartment. You would be much better off living south on the peninsula and get a place near to a BART Station and take it into the city everyday.
Some BART Stations do have reasonable parking prices if she has to drive to the nearest station.

Housing prices are much lower if you go as far south as Burlingame. Plus it's a much lower crime area.

I hope that her raise is in the order of 300%. Otherwise you're quality of life is going to suffer. Then make sure that the new company has paid medical and dental insurance to go with the new job. Those two item are REALLY expensive for California Insurance. Auto insurance is also two to three times as much money here too. Then cost of gasoline, electricity, and water are way higher too.

97snakebite

Established Member
just iike a few members have said living is SF is a little high. By high for example i have a friend and she pays 2100 for a 1 bed loft. its best to look out side the city to find a place and commute in. Traffic wise it has its ups and downs. I do 200+ miles a day driving from local to me to 150 miles out. It always depends on when you catch the wave. Taxes are a little high but all in all theres nothing like california life. Being prior service ive done my travels and i tell you what, nothing like being a couple hours from snow when its 75 degrees and its May... just saying in. The culture is like no other also. The food says so.

Last edited:

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Wow.... My nephew and his wife live in SF. NO FREAKING WAY WOULD I MOVE THERE! They couldn't pay me or my SO enough to move to that human cesspool of lefty liberal douchebaggery.

There are just TOO many downsides to living there.

U.M.

Speedwagon

Established Member
Hello SVTPers! I will try to keep this as short as possible.

My girlfriend and I may be moving to San Francisco, CA. Her company has offered her a promotion which will take her from Columbia, SC all the way to San Francisco, CA. We have discussed our relationship and don't want to do the long distance thing, so I will be moving across country with her. I fully support her, since this would be a big step up for her (and honestly, I've been unhappy with my job for the last year). The move isn't set in stone just yet. She has to discuss the details of the position and salary with her superiors this week.

With that said, she has begun researching apartments in good-safe areas, the higher cost of living, moving costs, etc.

I have my own questions, so maybe some of you that live in or near San Francisco can point me/us in the right direction. Pardon me if I sound naive....I've never moved across the country, so this will be a learning experience for both she and I. She has covered some of this through her research, but I thought I'd ask here to see what suggestions I get.

Im in the process of moving long distance and I first thought of renting some PODS but the the what $2500- $3000 so I decided to get a U-Haul since I am not taking any of my furniture. A 26' U-Haul is $1400 and another $200 for a car carrier. I didnt want to deal with a moving company coz I wanted to save as much $$$ as I could. If your GF's company is moving her and putting up the funds then I look for references and check reviews. Good Luck with your move...

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Looks at your current monthly expenses, they will likely more than triple in SF. I love visiting CA, but I wouldn't want to live there.

M91196

Established Member
The company should be doing all the moving stuff, including a relocation advisor to answer all the questions, if not I would be concerned about making such a move for the company, at least at my age.....

Last edited:

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
SF truly is one of the most beautiful cities in the world but boy do I hope your gf negotiates the hell out of that promo because the cost of living there is insane. I never really noticed the traffic to be horrendous. Can't be any worse than LA.

Users who are viewing this thread