Possibly moving to California

VenomVeins

Established Member
So true about the bums dropping a deuce in plain sight. I went to House of Prime Rib for dinner and went outside to get my car and there was a bum taking a huge dump right outside on the sidewalk. It is funny how everyone rushes to get indoors when the sun goes down to avoid the hoard of bums that take over.

The first time I witnessed that, it pissed me off enough to yell at the ****head bum. I couldnt believe someone would lack enough respect to drop a coil in front of a group of people at an intersection pole. I learned quickly that it is an everyday thing there. And yeah, when the sun drops the bums crawl out like cockroaches and take the city over. ****ing ridiculous.

And yeah, having a car there is a hinderance. Better to use the BART whenever possible or uber/lyft/motorcycle/bicycle.

If you are open minded, non-judgemental, tolerant, have CARB# for all of your speed parts and are making bank the bay area is for you.

By "open minded" and "non judge-mental", he means that you need to be ok with a bum dropping his pants, taking a steaming shit in front of you, and then proceeding to spark a meth pipe as a toast afterward. By "tolerant" he means you MUST be ok with men kissing each other grabbing ass openly on a daily basis (bonus points for celebrating it), and have ultra liberal views or be labeled "intolerant, racist, or bigot" by the most intolerant group of people on the west coast.

Like I said, SF is a festering shithole.

Cumbersome101

Established Member
The first time I witnessed that, it pissed me off enough to yell at the ****head bum. I couldnt believe someone would lack enough respect to drop a coil in front of a group of people at an intersection pole. I learned quickly that it is an everyday thing there. And yeah, when the sun drops the bums crawl out like cockroaches and take the city over. ****ing ridiculous.

And yeah, having a car there is a hinderance. Better to use the BART whenever possible or uber/lyft/motorcycle/bicycle.

By "open minded" and "non judge-mental", he means that you need to be ok with a bum dropping his pants, taking a steaming shit in front of you, and then proceeding to spark a meth pipe as a toast afterward. By "tolerant" he means you MUST be ok with men kissing each other grabbing ass openly on a daily basis (bonus points for celebrating it), and have ultra liberal views or be labeled "intolerant, racist, or bigot" by the most intolerant group of people on the west coast.

Like I said, SF is a festering shithole.

Nicely done ha ha ha. I would never make it in San Fran

MysticRob

Established Member
Nicely done ha ha ha. I would never make it in San Fran

Totally agree, too funny!
I live in the south bay in Sunnyvale and like this bottom of the bay area. I stay away from SF as much as possible though I do work there occasionally doing RF work on the hill near Sutro Tower. The traffic and roads suck, the bums suck, the rainbow flags are annoying (I should fly a "I luv hairy vaginas" flag on my car), and road layouts just make no sense at all. Good news is there is good food and bars to be had there. Um, that's all the good stuff I can think of. As others have said, try to commute in on the train, etc.

Hopefully your girl got a hell of a raise because the cost of living here sucks ass. Gas is about .70 more than most states, the rent up there and surrounding areas is insane, and don't even think about buying a house here now with Housing Bubble 2.0 well under way. And again, make sure your vehicles will pass visual and emissions testing out here.

Mentos

Earn this
Established Member
I really appreciate the advice. Definitely a lot of food for thought. Moving is really dependent on what kind of salary my gf will get. If her company sweentens the pot enough, then it'll be worth it....otherwise it likely won't be worth it. For now, I just have to wait until she speaks with her superiors next week. We will see!

Last edited:

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
Just ran some quick numbers on CNN - if you make $50k in SC, you're going to have to damn well near double it in CA ($93k)

Overall costs seem to be in the neighborhood of 20-30% higher, and cost of living is astronomically higher (300%+).

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Just commute into the city, it sucks but a large % of the working force commutes anyways.

There are a ton of things to do here man, dont let people from land locked states tell you other wise :bored:. SF is close to the wine country and you can visit all the coastal towns up and down the coast. Drive east during winter (on weekdays) and hit the snow in Lake Tahoe. Flight to Vegas is around 1.5 hours.

If you're a track guy and into some 1/4 mile drag strips too, there are tracks all around, Sonoma, Sac Raceway, Thunderhill. Drive 2 hours south from SF and you can visit Laguna Seca and all the coastal towns in that area (Carmel, Big Sur, Pebble Beach). Drive more south along the I5 and you will get to Button Willow and Willow springs.

Yes things are expensive here and some of the laws are stupid, but this state is popular for a reason. It doesnt get too hot or too cold. I had relatives from Virginia that moved here and didnt like it, too many Asians in San Jose LOL. They also missed the 4 seasons.

Maybe try visiting first and stay in 2-3 different places to see if you can imagine yourself living here.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
**** no. Nah man. SF sucks major chode.

Its just full of bums now. Its a sanctuary city and a liberal cesspool. I wouldnt live there no matter what the pay. SD is far nicer than SF can ever hope to be, weather is better and you can actually own a real home 30min from the city for $450-500k.

If you want to live in a "nice" area, expect $3500+ for a SMALL 1br apt. Talking 600sf.

You guys need to bring in $150k/yr combined minimum.

Rct851

Established Member
these cost of living threads blow my mind. $500k would put me on the lake in a nice place with a 75yd deep backyard and a boat dock.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
these cost of living threads blow my mind. $500k would put me on the lake in a nice place with a 75yd deep backyard and a boat dock.

That would be nice, but ill take living near the ocean and the great weather personally. Nothing like just knowing pretty much every day its 65-80 max and the coldest it gets is 55* at night. **** weather so much.

Rct851

Established Member
That would be nice, but ill take living near the ocean and the great weather personally. Nothing like just knowing pretty much every day its 65-80 max and the coldest it gets is 55* at night. **** weather so much.

No doubt San Diego is beautiful. If I could afford to live there and afford my hobbies I would.

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
Regarding the plate tags... I think the law states that regardless of who the car is registered to, if it is driven more in Califonia than the state its plated in, it needs to be registered in California.

Stanger00

Established Member
**** no. Nah man. SF sucks major chode.

Its just full of bums now. Its a sanctuary city and a liberal cesspool. I wouldnt live there no matter what the pay. SD is far nicer than SF can ever hope to be, weather is better and you can actually own a real home 30min from the city for $450-500k.

If you want to live in a "nice" area, expect $3500+ for a SMALL 1br apt. Talking 600sf.

You guys need to bring in $150k/yr combined minimum.

All of that is available near SF as well in the East Bay and valley and delta areas. Brentwood and Discovery Bay are real nice and very affordable; 400-600+ for 2,000+ sqft homes.

The South Bay, peninsula and North Bay are outrageously priced in comparison.

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member

$500k will get you pretty much whatever you want in my area. If we move and I have to pay more than $90 a square foot I'm going to be pissed.

AAG

Established Member
Regarding the plate tags... I think the law states that regardless of who the car is registered to, if it is driven more in Califonia than the state its plated in, it needs to be registered in California.

How would they know it's driven more in California?

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
How would they know it's driven more in California?

By seeing it all the time, unless he has proof that he lives in SC and either here on business or taking care of a family member they'll quickly pull him over and impound the vehicle. This happen in my Ohio County with someone running around with Virginia plates but had an Ohio address. They quickly impounded the car and he had to pay I think a $5500 fine and then buy all the Ohio plate fees for the last 3 years he had it registered in his parents address.

Unless you change plates like every 2 years, which can quickly add up it just is not worth it.

Last edited:

AAG

Established Member
By seeing it all the time, unless he has proof that he lives in SC and either here on business or taking care of a family member they'll quickly pull him over and impound the vehicle. This happen in my Ohio County with someone running around with Virginia plates but had an Ohio address. They quickly impounded the car and he had to pay I think a $5500 fine and then buy all the Ohio plate fees for the last 3 years he had it registered in his parents address.

Unless you change plates like every 2 years, which can quickly add up it just is not worth it.

So basically register for one class at the local community college. Students are exempt.

Users who are viewing this thread