Picked up my new ride today *Import Warning*

flowgoode

F it!
Established Member
Thank you guys!

Here is a pic from today after I gave it a quick wash and put my wheels on. Don't mind my grin :)

12034178_1502449816736097_623498747615422366_o.jpg

Last edited:

flowgoode

F it!
Established Member
That is pretty sick, how much more (or in general) would an R33 GTR be?

I'm not sure. But you can't legally import an R33 for about 4 more years or so. The only legal R33's in the USA are from Motorex and they are shutdown now. So unless you can find someone in the USA selling their Motorex R33, gotta wait until 2020 :(

SeikenFreak

2 Scoops
Established Member
Thank you. I did use Derek's company to export. I heard the Nismo exhausts are pretty rare and worth some money if someone is looking for one!

I used Hagerty Collector Car Insurance to insure mine for full value. It was a breeze to insure and they are very nice to deal with. Check them out.

Ah yea Derek seemed like a good guy. Had spoken to him on the phone for a bit and actually sent him a deposit but ended up getting mine through someone else about a week later. You probably saved yourself a couple thousand buying through him, at least I think I would have, but I don't like to wait for things and nice one suddenly popped up for sale so I jumped on it.

Can I ask how Hagerty went? I tried using the quote feature on the site and I think it kept coming up as $1,300 a year, which is how much my regular insurer wanted. I gave Grundy a call after using their online quote tool and the nice lady told me $206 a year, but I think I have to mail the title and such to them to verify it, and one guy said they turned him down. I don't know. It's the wild west out there. Did you have to mail anything to Hagerty or was it all done electronically?

Last edited:

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Very cool! There are a couple of those that show up at our Cars and Coffee every so often. Congrats!

flowgoode

F it!
Established Member
Ah yea Derek seemed like a good guy. Had spoken to him on the phone for a bit and actually sent him a deposit but ended up getting mine through someone else about a week later. You probably saved yourself a couple thousand buying through him, at least I think I would have, but I don't like to wait for things and nice one suddenly popped up for sale so I jumped on it.

Can I ask how Hagerty went? I tried using the quote feature on the site and I think it kept coming up as $1,300 a year, which is how much my regular insurer wanted. I gave Grundy a call after using their online quote tool and the nice lady told me $206 a year, but I think I have to mail the title and such to them to verify it, and one guy said they turned him down. I don't know. It's the wild west out there. Did you have to mail anything to Hagerty or was it all done electronically?

Nice, I chose Derek honestly because he had an online presence with his youtube channel and videos. I knew he was legit and after reading some reviews about him I decided that's who I wanted to work with.

Hagerty was pretty easy to work with. I didn't have to send anything in the mail. I scanned a few customs forms and sent them pictures all electronically. I don't have any accidents on my driving record and neither does my wife. Not sure if that played a big role or not. But mine ended up being about $750/year and it's insured for the full amount I wanted it to be.

Very cool! There are a couple of those that show up at our Cars and Coffee every so often. Congrats!

Awesome, I hope to make some cars and coffee meets in my area soon too!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Great acquisition! I've always liked the Skylines, but never thought of owning one. Nice that the importing process was smooth for you. Enjoy that bad boy! :beer:

SHOdown220

Established Member
There used to be a guy in my town that had an r32 for awhile. I'm not sure how he got it or if it was legal but it was a legit r32. This was probably 10 or 11 years ago. We're the laws more lax then or did he have it on the road illegally?

Blackoyote

Established Member
There used to be a guy in my town that had an r32 for awhile. I'm not sure how he got it or if it was legal but it was a legit r32. This was probably 10 or 11 years ago. We're the laws more lax then or did he have it on the road illegally?

Before the government got keen on it, people were buying them for $9-10k, buying a 240 that had a title, swapping VIN plates, and registering R32s as 240s. Or, it was a MotoRex car.

Novi357

It's stock...
Established Member
Congratulations! That has to be a blast to drive around. I'm sure that tons of people do a double take at the right hand drive.

Sn95Snake

Established Member
Congratulations! That has to be a blast to drive around. I'm sure that tons of people do a double take at the right hand drive.

Anyone who enjoys imports is going to double take just because it is so rare to come across one.

flowgoode

F it!
Established Member

Thank you! From my very limited time driving it, it's already a blast (now that it has some good fuel in it)

Anyone who enjoys imports is going to double take just because it is so rare to come across one.

For sure, check out the video I posted a link to in my reply before this one, I had about 4-5 people honk or wave at me. It's fun!

Zemedici

Established Member
Does the car get a lot of attention? I was talking with Rivsu in florida about importing either a R32 or a supra, but idk if the attention would outweigh the pleasure of driving it.

Novi357

It's stock...
Established Member
Does the car get a lot of attention? I was talking with Rivsu in florida about importing either a R32 or a supra, but idk if the attention would outweigh the pleasure of driving it.

I think you would probably get plenty of attention in either car.

I broke my car at an Import vs. World event a few years back and one of my friends was selling a turbo Supra there. He offered to trailer my car to my house and let me drive the Supra home.

I swear I have never been revved on or had people try and race me as many times in a single drive as when I was in that Supra.

I've driven my mustang all over the place and while I'll get some odd looks and the occasional thumbs up, I never get nearly the attention as when I was driving the Supra.

Zemedici

Established Member
I think you would probably get plenty of attention in either car.

I broke my car at an Import vs. World event a few years back and one of my friends was selling a turbo Supra there. He offered to trailer my car to my house and let me drive the Supra home.

I swear I have never been revved on or had people try and race me as many times in a single drive as when I was in that Supra.

I've driven my mustang all over the place and while I'll get some odd looks and the occasional thumbs up, I never get nearly the attention as when I was driving the Supra.

Yeah I drove my buddy's single turbo supra, and the attention it received it unpleasant to drive. People would be pacing me getting pictures, I couldn't change lanes, couldn't go through the drive thrus, couldn't make my turns because everyone was looking, taking pictures, etc.

Not to mention all the ricer faggets that were trying to race

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread